How many of you drink a whole bottle of wine to yourselves ?

What's Hot

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12391
    I had two glasses of wine last night and I feel groggy now. Thinking about it though I don't think I drank any fluids in the day apart from a brew in the morning so probably dehydrated.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28514
    smigeon said:

You also know you have more wine for tomorrow :-).
    I don't have a particular problem with my own "limit", but that one does work for me whenever I'm tempted to have an extra glug from the bottle in each glass.

I do go a bit light on the first of the two glasses so that the second one can be a bit bigger. I am well aware that it's illogical, but I still do it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • People on here who've met me can probably testify that I am a fan of a Great British Binge Off.  The fact is that I drink for taste and effect.

The flip side of this is that my job requires that if I get drug and alcohol tested, the alcohol limit is less than a ⅓ of the drink driving limit.  This is a big motivator to not drink before and during a shift.  

In other news, I once had to stay somewhere with people who were being treated for alcoholism. A common feature was that wine seamed to be the tipping point. For it would always be about the wine they drank, not the beer or whisky etc.  One person described it as being more romantic to be sat at a table at Marylebone station drinking a bottle of wine just watching people walk by.  Now he's not allowed to drink.  I never see or hear from him anymore
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10439
    I do drink way too much and so do all the people I work with. It's not uncommon for most of us to do 6 or seven pints a night from Thursdays gig through to Sundays gig. Hangovers not a problem, when your bodies used to it you don't get one. It's not good for your health though, I've just switched from Stella to Carling as it's weaker and cheaper. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24465
    I could well imagine drinking far more than a bottle if I was in Emp's company.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6506
    At the wedding I went to on Saturday I was given a glass of wine and a glass of champagne and finished neither. So, not me. Just makes me feel ill. I'll drink half a pint or a small bottle of beer sometimes but any more than that makes me want to vomit.
    If the question was how many of you eat an entire Victoria sponge to themselves... :yum: 
    This. 
    Have been through periods of drinking a fair bit but for a long time now I've been very uninterested in alcohol. We'll occasionally have a bottle of wine and I'll be sipping a single glass all night. 
    Might have a pint at a gig between sets and be having to keep moving the remaining half pint when we're packing up so I don't knock it over.
    Food is my downfall, not booze or drugs. 

• @Emp_Fab , you will may want to factor in leaving at least 11 hours between polishing off your wine and getting behind the wheel.  Could this be a reason why you keep getting pinged for driving offences?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    I'm definitely feeling the effects this morning.  I could do with another two hours in bed.  I don't open the bottle with the intention of drinking it all.  Even if I have an actual plan to limit myself to say, half the bottle, it never works out like that.  Once the first glass is in me, I lose all self control.
    I know it's a bit of an emotionally-loaded term, but that genuinely sounds like alcoholism to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    @Emp_Fab , you will may want to factor in leaving at least 11 hours between polishing off your wine and getting behind the wheel.  Could this be a reason why you keep getting pinged for driving offences?
    Yeah, assuming Emp is having ten units of alcohol that's about eleven hours before it's out of his system so drinking late and driving to work early there's a good chance he is drink driving. IIRC Emp's job involves a lot of driving so losing his licence would be very problematic for him. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    ESBlonde said:
    Why not get a 'box' of wine in the fridge and just take a couple of glasses as you want it, 

Don't think that's a great plan for someone who can't refuse the next one.

I regularly drank a bottle of wine every evening for years. It's the heavy reds I felt the next day. Finally quit when I was up to a bottle of vodka daily. Had to go into rehab to get clean, second time worked and I haven't had a drink for about 6 years, don't miss it either.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Sporky said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I'm definitely feeling the effects this morning.  I could do with another two hours in bed.  I don't open the bottle with the intention of drinking it all.  Even if I have an actual plan to limit myself to say, half the bottle, it never works out like that.  Once the first glass is in me, I lose all self control.
    I know it's a bit of an emotionally-loaded term, but that genuinely sounds like alcoholism to me.
    You beat me to it @Sporky  Emp's example is one of many reasons why I'm a recovering alcoholic. 

@Emp_Fab I'm not suggesting you *are* an alcoholic but now might be a good time to have a look at your drinking habits and see if there's a pattern, other than a loss of control. Stress and other lifestyle factors may be contributing to necking a bottle of wine. Not judging you though, just well intentioned advice ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    Sporky said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    It certainly sounds like a type of dependence, full blown alcoholism might be hard to argue.

I guess most of you know I quit drinking a few years ago.
    In the last 6 months I've had a few drinks- mostly the odd glass of single malt whisky and I got smashed the day the dog died.
    It can be quite insidious- I don't consider myself dependent or an alcoholic- even before I quit I drank less than most of my mates, although that is a bit like being the most chaste prostitute.

Here is what I've worked out for myself, nothing to do with anyone else- this only applies to me.
    Alcohol was a bit of a monkey on my back.

It wasn't ruining my life, nor was it making me especially unhappy but I just didn't like the idea that drinking 3-4 days a week became the norm and I could see that it would probably end up being a nightly thing.
    Mrs Oct and I would finish a bottle if we opened it.
    I reckon I can have the odd glass of whisky- I am talking about once or twice a month.
    If it gets beyond that then I'd knock it on the head again completely- I just don't want it to be the 'default' place I go to in the evenings, or on the weekends.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    TheBlueWolf said:

Not judging you though, just well intentioned advice ;)

Likewise - for all that Emp and I argue a lot I'd be genuinely concerned at anyone exhibiting that behaviour.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    It's a nice way to end off a night on the tiles  B)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artinskiartinski Frets: 9
    edited June 2017
    I stopped drinking and smoking in 2011. One bottle of wine to me was what a pint of beer is to normal people. I was at least halfway into alcoholism. I kicked another, very serious addiction, too, at that point in time - one that does not require an actual substance for satisfaction. Well, the AA say: If you can not stop drinking while you are in the process of drinking (e.g. when there is a bottle or a glass in front of you, which is not quite empty, and you can not walk away from it), then you are an alcoholic. That is a very hard statement, but I agree with it. As far as Rock 'n' Roll and lifestyle - it is a dream, it is an image, it is a lie. And, yes, it sure is wonderful. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7787
    If u feel the need to finish the bottlsh eac time then jus have te boooz in smaller botlsh
    Simpls
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    If u feel the need to finish the bottlsh eac time then jus have te boooz in smaller botlsh
    Simpls

+1, just find half bottles and buy one of those. They're cheaper (IF you're the type who's going to finish the bottle.)
  • May I ask the people in recovery, how much of a step is it from finishing one bottle to finishing two bottles?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23005

I always have a glass of wine in the evening, but only the one, unless I'm eating out with friends/family.

If I drank a whole bottle myself I'd be totally rat-arsed.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24392
    ...but now might be a good time to have a look at your drinking habits and see if there's a pattern, other than a loss of control. Stress and other lifestyle factors may be contributing to necking a bottle of wine. Not judging you though, just well intentioned advice
    It's the stress of everyone here picking on me. I pop on the forum, make an innocent post about something and before I know it, I'm being verbally assaulted from all sides. When it gets too much for me, I reach for the wine. You're all mean and nasty and you make me cry. *

I could well imagine drinking far more than a bottle if I was in Emp's company
    Now that's just mean. When have I ever shown you anything other than friendliness and respect ?

* sorry, I meant 'laugh hysterically'.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom