How many of you drink a whole bottle of wine to yourselves ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24391
I buy a couple of bottles a week, but I seem unable to restrict myself to a couple of glasses...  Once it's open, I keep drinking it until it's all gone.  From a binge-drinking PoV, it's not ideal.  Your average bottle of plonk contains about 9 to 10 units.  Do that twice a week with a few bottles of IPA in between and I'm easily over the Govt's recommended limit.

Does anyone else polish off the whole bottle one the cork is out ?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• notanonnotanon Frets: 610
    It's rock and roll - you stop at wine? No, really, . . . do you? Why?

Knead hlp: drikresporsably.co.uk
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10308
    Used to regularly until a stomach condition (achalasia) meant I couldn't drink red wine without it causing me problems.Since I've had an op on my stomach I can now drink it again,however I restrict myself to no more than two small glasses.I actually enjoy it more as I drink it a lot slower and can often nurse a glass for an hour or so.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I used to have a bottle of wine as pre drinks. I rarely drink now. If I do drink to get smashed I'll have a couple of nice beers then something stronger like a bottle of fortified wine
    My V key is broken
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    Terribly bad form to put the cork back in ;)
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1962
    Yes, I recognise this pattern of behaviour.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    None of your bloody business. And for the record - I do NOT have a problem!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    I generally only have a couple of glasses if it's a school night.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    I only drink if I intend on getting very drunk, which is once every couple of months, if that. Sometimes I'll have a couple of beers on a friday night in the garden.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I need to stop drinking so regularly, I find myself polishing off 2 or 3 strong ales per night sometimes. It's only a problem in terms of money, and age = slowing metabolism = flabby gut. However I also find it tends to placate me to an extent where, yes, I'm happy getting home, walking the dog, and then drinking and cooking before I even get to sit down, but then when I sit down I watch shitty YT videos instead of something more constructive like reading.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28511
    On drinky nights I have two large glasses of wine - half a bottle. That's a pleasant amount of booze with no noticeable issues the next day.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27136
    MrsF & I can happily knock back a couple of G&Ts followed by a bottle of wine between us, but not that often. I'm certainly happy enough having a single glass with dinner and no more.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    At the wedding I went to on Saturday I was given a glass of wine and a glass of champagne and finished neither. So, not me. Just makes me feel ill. I'll drink half a pint or a small bottle of beer sometimes but any more than that makes me want to vomit.
    If the question was how many of you eat an entire Victoria sponge to themselves... :yum: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316

I only have wine if I'm sitting down to dinner properly, which I do very rarely. When I do, I might have a glass or two, but never the whole bottle.

The only thing I drink regularly will be a couple of bottles of ale Friday / Saturday / Sunday in the afternoon / evening.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24391
    I'm definitely feeling the effects this morning.  I could do with another two hours in bed.  I don't open the bottle with the intention of drinking it all.  Even if I have an actual plan to limit myself to say, half the bottle, it never works out like that.  Once the first glass is in me, I lose all self control.  It's no different from an open packet of biscuits.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10434
    I only have one or two glasses of wine max in the evenings, I'm pretty good in that respect. It's the 35 pints of lager a week  which is more a problem :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4217
    What stops me having any booze at all more than anything these days, at least during the week, is the fear of the Old-age Hangover Randomiser, or OAHR. 

On a rare occasion I can have a whole bottle of wine or equivalent in beer and feel tip top the next day. What happens the other 95% of the time is that I'll have an amount nearer @Sporky 's suggestion and wake up feeling trampled on.

It's a surprisingly effective deterrent. 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4648
    Friday night is my wine night. I get the living room to myself, but on a good movie, bottle of nice wine, pizza and a bag of corn chips. But yes no such thing as a glass of wine. But that is about as far as my drinking goes, unless of business then I let the Account exec pay ;o)
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Emp_Fab said:
    I'm definitely feeling the effects this morning.  I could do with another two hours in bed.  I don't open the bottle with the intention of drinking it all.  Even if I have an actual plan to limit myself to say, half the bottle, it never works out like that.  Once the first glass is in me, I lose all self control.  It's no different from an open packet of biscuits.

If you know you aren't strong enough to lift a washing machine you don't commit to loading it into a car yourself. If you know you aren't strong enough to open a bottle of wine without drinking more of it than you want to you don't open it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    Why not get a 'box' of wine in the fridge and just take a couple of glasses as you want it, that way a half empty bottle beside the arm chair isn't begging you to finish it. Some self control will be required not to keep getting up and walking to the fridge!
    I tend to drink a small bottle of stella with my tea, sometimes two and sometimes none at all so these days I'm a moderate drinker, in the past I've spent a fortune being incapable of driving for several days at a time, bad choice in retrospect.

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    edited June 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    Have you tried this to try to stop at half a bottle: at a time when you won't be drinking (e.g. just before you go to work, perhaps?) decant a bottle of wine equally into two smaller containers. Then, later on, when you start drinking from one of these, there's a clear and tangible psychological reminder that your sober intention was to drink only half the original bottle. Obviously this is easy to circumvent, but try it: you might be surprised. You also know you have more wine for tomorrow :-).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom