Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22176
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Yes :)
    White man with beard speaks with forked tongue. Infidel! :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    I don't know yet what the thoughts were behind this incident
    Polite suggestion. Until you do know, quit speculating. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    edited June 2017

It makes no difference what we call them, is isis daesh, what ever, and regarding calling  it the Muslim community, we can absolutely call them that, for you to demand we change what we call a group of people is not your judgment call. , if a Christian terror group started committing attoecoties I would be asking the exact same questions to the Christian community regardless of where theyre from or what faction, as I would the Muslim community,  if you identify as a particular religion then you're part of that community.  And if you follow a book which preaches hate and lack of respect for any other than  your own religion, then you need to tell us what you're doing about it, yes it may have happened but where? 

Assuming that this guy was not religious (yeah, I know we don't know that, but let's just go with it for the sake of my point) who should be condemning him? I suppose I could - and do - but then I condemn the Manchester and London Bridge chaps as well. I feel like the things I have in common with this guy (white, male, middle-aged, not-religious, driving license etc) are not really the things I am condemning him for (murderer, doesn't like Islam) so my voice has no more weight than anyone else's.

If I start piping up as some sort of special representative of white, non-religious men as if my opinion has special weight then it draws a link between me and the killing. I don't want that link to be there.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I condemn CabbageCat to a lifetime of chocolate and blowjobs!!
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Is that the white man version of the 12 virgins when we get to heaven? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Is that the white man version of the 12 virgins when we get to heaven? 
    Nah, that'll be two pints and a packet of crisps ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11932
    I don't know yet what the thoughts were behind this incident
    Polite suggestion. Until you do know, quit speculating. 
    why?
    it's in the news today, reported as a terror attack. THAT will have consequences, regardless of what his motives were
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    edited June 2017
    There is (well it appears to me) a confusion between religion, race and community in here, and also in the wider public.

Muslim does not describe a race: it describes a follower of Islam. In the same way, Christian does not describe a "white" person either. There is a tendency to label everybody who looks Asian as Muslim, which is not the case at all.

So, as a white person, I should not feel compelled to apologise, or state outrage for this nutter's actions. He;s not a religious extremist, following a jihad or fatwa: he is prejudiced ignoramus psychopath, intent on killing Muslims.

In the same way, Asian people should not be expected to condemn Daesh. Whether Muslims should is debatable as well.

Where British Muslims do have a role is in helping wipe out homegrown extremism. Their role in this is unique in that they will have a more intimate view of how and why the extremism is being propagated. They will have a better understanding of where the extreme preachers are holding their teachings, well a better view than someone from outside of their communities, for sure. BY the same logic, if there were such a thing as Hassidic extremists, then you would be reasonable to expect members of a Jewish social group to understand how to root it out, than persons not part of that community.

If you follow a faith where one group of followers believe that the script advocates killing, and another part of that faith say it doesn't, then who has the best chance of dissuading the wannabe killers? Surely it is the better informed (as in members of the same faith and community).

It is also fair to say that Muslim communities tend to be quite insular and self contained. They are tight knit. This is fertile ground for extremism to grow and develop. It stems from a sense of isolation,intolerance and an almost persecution.

IMO, the answer to halting the rise of homegrown Islamic killers is greater integration of communities. This leads to understanding and tolerance. Big task though. In the Northwest, and W Yorkshire, IMO the muslim communities seem less integrated than ever. The repsonsibility for that lies everywhere, not just with one group of people
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    why? it's in the news today
    Oh, boy.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460
    Snap said:
    There is (well it appears to me) a confusion between religion, race and community in here, and also in the wider public.

Muslim does not describe a race: it describes a follower of Islam. In the same way, Christian does not describe a "white" person either. There is a tendency to label everybody who looks Asian as Muslim, which is not the case at all.

Very true.

It should be ok to criticise Islam (or any other belief) as a belief without being accused of being racist.

Anyone remember the shoe bomber?  He's a middle aged white man.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    flyingv said:
    Happened near mosque, where there were lots of 'worshipers' outside? 

Wondering why you put single quotes around the word worshipers. They are worshipers full stop. You don't refer to fans of a rock band as 'fans'. 

And I condemn the outrage in London this morning. No cause justifies such actions.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    crunchman said:
    Snap said:

Very true.

It should be ok to criticise Islam (or any other belief) as a belief without being accused of being racist.

Anyone remember the shoe bomber?  He's a middle aged white man.
    It should, but its not even Islam as a whole: its an extremist variant of it. They, daesh, are, after all, killing multitudes of Muslims who don't follow their "flavour" of Islam, if you will. They've killed many times more people in Syria, Iraq than in the "west".
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Is it the heat? Is that why this thread has descended into chaos?
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Is it the heat? Is that why this thread has descended into chaos?

I thought it was National "I must post last" Week...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The accused is Welsh .. anyone seen the Emperor?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Have a bite to eat at the Hitler Cross restaurant ... on the right hand side of the high street ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    crunchman said:

I agree, but I haven't really noticed anyone does that. "Intolerant", maybe, or even "bigotted" if certain argument are aimed at the religion's followed and not the religions themselves, but not "racist".
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22176
    Fretwired said:
    The accused is Welsh .. anyone seen the Emperor?
    The only thing he'd crash into is a Chinese takeaway if his order was late.