Go Fund Me. Anyone want to buy this lad a 1962 Strat?

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

But the ones that are "I have an idea for a game where you're a witch but you're actually a pirate and you go on adventures in the style of the goonies in the 16-bit era but it's going to be in 3D and with a heavy metal soundtrack and art by my brother dave who is really good and it's going to take about 3 years to finish the game but you're basically paying my living costs for that time and there's only a very limited chance I'll a) finish the thing and b) deliver something that's even remotely how I describe it today...

No thanks...
    Ahhhh. You mean Devi Ever.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27115
    edited July 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:

But the ones that are "I have an idea for a game where you're a witch but you're actually a pirate and you go on adventures in the style of the goonies in the 16-bit era but it's going to be in 3D and with a heavy metal soundtrack and art by my brother dave who is really good and it's going to take about 3 years to finish the game but you're basically paying my living costs for that time and there's only a very limited chance I'll a) finish the thing and b) deliver something that's even remotely how I describe it today...

No thanks...
    Ahhhh. You mean Devi Ever.
    D Did I say that..?!

She had form as well, following the cartridge based fx that were actually a great idea but completely fell apart through sheer incompetence.

EDIT: I just googled - this was tweeted yesterday...

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4227
    edited July 2017
    Dominic said:
    I find this whole digital begging -bowl thing very distasteful .
     I assume that the purpose of this site has been perverted from the original purpose. Presumably it was intended to launch business ideas / seed capital or fund community type projects ;Scout Huts, Adventure playground etc
    Yes, and quite sensibly creatives have looked to these things to see if they can help to survive when their own business models have changed massively.

I've seen it work really well in situations that basically go:

- we've made an album (at our own expense...we're investing in this too, not just asking you to)
    - we're raising funding to produce the physical product and do some promotion
    - if you donate x (roughly the price of CD) we'll send you the CD when it's produced plus y (something like an exclusive download ... it doesn't have to be much because the donor is already getting something roughly commensurate with their donation)
    - or you can donate at these higher levels in which case you'll get z (some other stuff)

It's effectively a pre-order process that helps the artist mitigate the risk of production and promotion expense - previously done by record labels, but a lot for individuals to take on. Unless we just want trustafarians making records, this seems reasonable and not at all piss-takey.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Philtre said:

Option 1) work and save up
    Option 2) borrow and repay out of future earnings

Option 3) Run a GoFundMe campaign

And, happily, this seems to be working for "young Dave". As of writing this he's over 25% on the way to this goal. Result.

And, if he also manages to piss off the miserable grinches in this thread, double result. :-)
    Nice try Dave. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793
    Leaves a bad taste in my mouth - who is actually giving him the money anyhow?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Cursed with cynicism, I am. But does anybody else think this (to me fairly obviously refinished and very likely re-scratchplated) "1962 Strat" might look like it has synthetic fingerboard dots?

And, if so, I wonder if there might be not one but two "winners" in this little appeal... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited July 2017
    KKJale said:
    Cursed with cynicism, I am. But does anybody else think this (to me fairly obviously refinished and very likely re-scratchplated) "1962 Strat" might look like it has synthetic fingerboard dots?

And, if so, I wonder if there might be not one but two "winners" in this little appeal... 

Interesting thought. Also I think that anyone that is taking the mic out of people by pulling this sort of face is the sort of person I'd usually avoid.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited July 2017
    Well, I'm trying not to comment on the bloke or his motives too personally. 

But it seems to me that to ask for public contributions to buy what purports to be a valuable vintage guitar without having it professionally and openly appraised beforehand is, at best, highly stupid and irresponsible (and at worst - which I'm not saying, by the way - it would be very suspect indeed). 

tl;dr: I don't trust young Dave to know the diff between a genuine '62 and a wheelbarrow. 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 986
    Have never heard of the guy in question and I am with most of the people on here that say they wouldn't fund him.  I must admit people I watch on YouTube who repeatedly keep on mentioning Patreon I lose a bit of love for.

A football podcast that I used to love did a podcast April 2016 and didn't do their next one until a year later, during that time they asked on Twitter how much would people be prepared to pay for a new episode.......in the end their 'new' episode in April 2017 was free.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793
    duotone said:
    Have never heard of the guy in question and I am with most of the people on here that say they wouldn't fund him.  I must admit people I watch on YouTube who repeatedly keep on mentioning Patreon I lose a bit of love for.

A football podcast that I used to love did a podcast April 2016 and didn't do their next one until a year later, during that time they asked on Twitter how much would people be prepared to pay for a new episode.......in the end their 'new' episode in April 2017 was free.
    That's the problem, Youtube is basically popular because it is "free" - in terms of unlike say Netflix, you don't directly pay for content, except that google now thinks because I follow Mary Spender that I now prefer links to adult dating sites with brunettes on them, etc.

"Monetising" it is tough, but apparently even Andertons make decent ad revenue, Chappers makes "buy a new overpriced guitar every week" money, there is money in ads for sure.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited July 2017
    YouTube really needs a paid tier that is ad free.  I'd pay to not have to sit through ads, I know I could just use an ad blocker but I don't think that's a fair solution on the content creators.  I think there was/is a paid version but I wasn't ever aware of it launching in the UK
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    Since when where we so accomodating of scroungers ? If you aint got the money you belittle yourself so much by scrounging for it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    There is another way to look at this - I watch a lot of YouTubers and Twitch streamers - it's amazing once you start providing that entertainment how much contact you get from people asking how they can tip/donate/help out - Patreon gives consumers of that content a way to pay - if they want. 

It's no different to the guys who made great software for free having a donate button - it's completely optional - if you are loyal to a person online because you love their content or their personality then you may very well feel you have enough money in your pocket to "help them out" or feel like you are giving them something for the enjoyment they bring you.

If people are willing to pay - let them - if they want to give him their money so he can have a guitar - it's up to them. It still makes me feel a bit uncomfortable watching someone ask but I'm not going to judge as he's not scamming or persuading money from people - they are doing it as they like him and what he does.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    YouTube really needs a paid tier that is ad free.  I'd pay to not have to sit through ads, I know I could just use an ad blocker but I don't think that's a fair solution on the content creators.  I think there was/is a paid version but I wasn't ever aware of it launching in the UK
    This is actually what a lot of the big companies are missing - piracy of movies and TV is down because people don't actually mind paying for content if it's good and easy to get - Amazon and Netflix have it sussed there - great content, excellent delivery on all devices and a cheap monthly payment - Sky is losing customers hand over fist to these guys.

People will pay a fair price for a good product.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8538
    Vaiai said:
    This is actually what a lot of the big companies are missing - piracy of movies and TV is down because people don't actually mind paying for content if it's good and easy to get - Amazon and Netflix have it sussed there - great content, excellent delivery on all devices and a cheap monthly payment - Sky is losing customers hand over fist to these guys.

Agreed, the Netflix model is great, I dip in and dip out of the monthly payment usually depending upon whether House of Cards has a news series - but you never feel like you're being taken for a ride.

Thing is though, YouTube is more than a little different - watching someone dick around with a few guitars is one thing if it's free but none of the guitar related content we are talking about is of the quality that justifies payment IMO.

edited July 2017
    dindude said:
    Vaiai said:

Agreed, the Netflix model is great, I dip in and dip out of the monthly payment usually depending upon whether House of Cards has a news series - but you never feel like you're being taken for a ride.

Thing is though, YouTube is more than a little different - watching someone dick around with a few guitars is one thing if it's free but none of the guitar related content we are talking about is of the quality that justifies payment IMO.

Massively depends on what you're watching.  And the point is pay to remove ads, not put the content behind a paywall.

Might not be your cup of tea but the kind of videos guys like Ola Englund, Keith Merrow etc have put together require a lot of skill and work.  IIRC Keith Merrow has put up to a week into some individual YT videos if I'm remembering his URM Academy interview properly.

Not just that, think of the amount of knowledge that gets passed through YT.  I managed to fix the toilet the other month by watching YT videos and nipping down to Screw Fix to get some parts.  Just one example.

I think Music creators get the bum end of the deal with monetising YT.  Gamers can play as many games as they fancy, there are loads.  Generally music creators need to also write and perform the music too, this tends to slow down output.  If you look at some of the full time gamer types they're outputting videos almost daily, that'd be super tough in music.  In music there is some scope for brand tie ins but musicians are a cynical bunch and don't buy in to that the same way some other groups of people are ok with it.  
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Ad-free Youtube? Adblock Plus will do that for you.

As for the paid version YouTube Red ... (not RedTube!) is the one, there's also regular premium content apparently...

But it's much easier to install Adblock Plus
    Yes the name choice is wrong...

Its not available in the U.K.

I refuse to run an ad blocker as I think it's unfair on content creators. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I run adblock and I turn it off for certain content creators that I want to support. I keep it on and avoid creators who I definitely don't want to support.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    I feel sorry for all the people here who've been forced into giving this guy money to buy a guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom