Go Fund Me. Anyone want to buy this lad a 1962 Strat?

What's Hot

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3456
    F off and get a job? really guys? I have a job and I cant afford 7K for a guitar, fair play to the guy, its not like some folk would miss a few quid to make this guys day and its not like he is some kind of a cunt or anything, hes just a genuine regular guy with a genuine regular problem, if any of us had the chance to buy that guitar for that money? Give him a break, he's a good lad.  
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Oh and by the way, chances are he's a member on here, I'm sure he's over the moon with some of the above posts.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    He said in the video that he was really uncomfortable doing it and asking.

So why did he do it and ask? That bit rubs with me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    robgilmo said:
    F off and get a job? really guys? I have a job and I cant afford 7K for a guitar, fair play to the guy, its not like some folk would miss a few quid to make this guys day and its not like he is some kind of a cunt or anything, hes just a genuine regular guy with a genuine regular problem, if any of us had the chance to buy that guitar for that money? Give him a break, he's a good lad.  
    I think he may actually be some kind of a cunt tbh, can't think of any other explanation.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    dindude said:
    robgilmo said:
    I think he may actually be some kind of a cunt tbh, can't think of any other explanation.

Naa, I just think he is a bit odd, which is cool with me, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2804
    What sits badly (and is unacceptable imo) is asking specifically for people to fund something he wants.  Where does it end?  What's really involved?

I don't care what he spends is money on (obviously).  He should charge for his vids or whatever and then he can spend the money on '62 Strats or chocolate biscuits, it's up to him.  He won't do that though.  I wonder why not?
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    robgilmo said:
    F off and get a job? really guys? I have a job and I cant afford 7K for a guitar, fair play to the guy, its not like some folk would miss a few quid to make this guys day and its not like he is some kind of a cunt or anything, hes just a genuine regular guy with a genuine regular problem, 
    A genuine guy with a regular problem ?....he is wanting a 7 grand guitar but hasnt got the money for it...maybe im old fashioned but iff i havnt got the money for something i will either get some sort of loan or save up....i dont know the guy and he might be ok ..but by the sounds of this he has either went off the rails somehow.. or is taking the piss....either way i would file it under greed

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited July 2017
    I watched his yt vid where he discusses mental health issues he has had and i genuinely feel sorry for him. He has had a hard time and he comes across as a kind soul. Maybe that 7k strat is indeed a life changer for him, i dont agree with go fund me appeals for luxury items, but its daves choice and he has to live with it.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    I watched his yt vid where he discusses mental health issues he has had
    Is there a link to that, please? It might help to explain a few things. Not least, why the guy isn't going to make any sort of living out of imitating his favourite dead American blues artistes in front of paying audiences.

In the worst case scenario, the guy gets what he wishes for. He raises sufficient funds to buy, say, a Fender American Standard, Professional or Vintage Re-Issue Stratocaster. Then, the welfare office wants to know how he managed to afford it. The truthful explanation is unlikely to be well received. Welfare payments are suspended. D'oh!

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    He said in the video that he was really uncomfortable doing it and asking.

So why did he do it and ask? That bit rubs with me.
    Exactly. All positive social value was lost by doing something he knew deep down wasn't right. But despite his doubts he went ahead anyway. Sadly for him, he can't unsay what he said, as is the case for everyone, and I suspect this is one thing he'll be known for. What's more unfortunate is that he did it on YouTube, a popular platform whereby he begged to the masses. If there's one way to knacker your reputation, then begging online for others to fund something very expensive and totally unnecessary pretty much nails it. It's a shame because it seems he's a well liked guy.  What puzzles me is that no-one had the sense to discourage the poor lad. Regardless, the maxim "think before you speak" springs to mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4215
    edited July 2017
    Does GoFundMe not require you to hit your target before the funds are released like other crowdfunding sites, then?
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    When GAS goes wrong.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    When GAS goes wrong.
    I actually think it's a bit bizarre - I mean it is a kind of GAS, but to open it up to the internet..

Can you imagine if I started a raffle thread and asked people to donate prizes and stuff and then said the proceeds were going to go to me buying a nice new Les Paul.. 

I suspect I'd get a kicking like no kicking we have seen on here yet...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1739
    Unbelievable.
    it's wrong on so many levels.
    In the video he's saying that he is having to sell most of his massive collection of guitars/gear to go towards the cost, as if we should all feel sorry for him, and he is still begging for £5000.

For the record he looks to already have a Patreon page for donations towards his YouTube channel, if you look at his channel info. so he already looks to be geared up for donations for his channel before this nonsense.

where does it stop. 
    Will it be a vintage Les Paul in 6 months time???????

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    When GAS goes wrong.
    I actually think it's a bit bizarre - I mean it is a kind of GAS, but to open it up to the internet..

Can you imagine if I started a raffle thread and asked people to donate prizes and stuff and then said the proceeds were going to go to me buying a nice new Les Paul.. 

True, but at least he's being upfront and honest about it. 

I dint see a problem with it, I'm just not going to donate. 

If he achieves the goal, then he obviously mean enough to enough people, and it's not our place to criticise it really. 

I personally don't have enough followers/friends/fans to crowdfund a pack of strings.   
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    When GAS goes wrong.

True, but at least he's being upfront and honest about it. 

I dint see a problem with it, I'm just not going to donate. 

If he achieves the goal, then he obviously mean enough to enough people, and it's not our place to criticise it really. 

I personally don't have enough followers/friends/fans to crowdfund a pack of strings.   
    Exactly. There's no dishonesty here, all cards are on the table. People are donating knowing exactly what the deal is.
    Barney said:
    Just curious ...so what happens with the money iff he dosnt reach his target of 7 grand..?..does he end up with a mexican strat or something 
    That's the thing with GoFundMe it's all his, less the 8% fees. 

Its already in his account potentially.  
    I think it depends on the person, I've donated before to CreativeGuitarStudio and Justin Sandercoe as ivecwatched lessons and improved because of it.

The only issue i see really is that if/when he gets his strat every video will be "check out my gorgeous 62 strat!!" Etc etc thus potentially driving people away from his channel that didn't donate.  
    Lewy said:
    Does GoFundMe not require you to hit your target before the funds are released like other crowdfunding sites, then?
    No, funds are available as and when you like, less 8% fees. 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

I just think he's an eccentric guy sticking his neck out and taking a chance that people will give him money for something he desperately wants.