At what point is it ok....

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I think this should be split into a different thread. If @TheOtherDennis pays a penny this time I'll refuse to show up, not much of a threat but you get the idea :)
    Agreed.

I'll talk to @Bridgehouse and get a proper thread sorted soon.

Actually, after last time I also think that Dennis should be exempted from paying anything at all.

Just an Idea Den.......
    We're all aware of the care you need to give to your Wife and her medical situation.
    Would it be practical for you to bring her along? I'm entirely sure we'd all love to have her as our 'Audience' and if you think she'd enjoy the music, we'd love to have her there. My thought was that you could be there on-hand for her if she needs anything rather than feel anxious about leaving her for the day and/or having to rush home however if that won't work for other reason I don't realise as I type this then no problem, it's just an idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • well up for it, should be available most weekends after 12th Aug
    well up for it, should be available most weekends after 12th Aug
    Brilliant,
    Thanks Dave.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Better get my organising boots on then.

Raffles, Jams..  I need to join the Women's Institute

You know I'll help with everything.
    Also, I'll be hiring a car that weekend so I'm not imposing on anyone for transport.
    Alnico said:

Also, I'll be hiring a car that weekend so I'm not imposing on anyone for transport.
    I was quite looking forward to a blue rinse..
    Alnico said:

I don't see any reason why we can't make it fancy dress!
    Alnico said:
    Alnico said:

Only if you wear that little red strapless number
    Alnico said:
    Alnico said:

Only if you wear that little red strapless number
    Ha........As if I need an excuse to wear that!
    :)
  • Wow. That escalated again in hurry! :)

This all sounds like an excellent idea (well, it's been yonks since we had a get-together), but a few points from my point of view.

1) @octatonic - all you'll need to bring will be your cymbals, as the kits at Quad are excellent (so I'm told, but even I can see they're not shit) so setting up and dismantling shouldn't take too long at all, hopefully.

2) I did NOT pay for everything last time. I was the one who paid in advance, but all those who came gave me a tenner each for doing it. Yes, I took a bit of a hit, but that was only because half the people who said they'd turn up didn't and we ran out of steam half way through and had an hour or so paid for that we didn't use. So it really wasn't that big a deal (about 25 quid in the end, to which...meh.). Thanks for thinking of me like that, guys, genuinely, but I honestly don't mind contributing. Oh, and I'm happy to bring my bass along too, for some basic root note-style support.

3) I'm sure the wife would love to come along for some of the time, but we'd have to arrive late due to the carer visits she has (one is due at half 12, and they sometimes don't show till nearly 1, so the earliest we could guarantee being there would be after half 1). She needs hoisting from one chair to another, so she wouldn't be able to use the loos there (which are all upstairs anyway!), and we'd have to be back by half 5. But if the bash ends at 5, that's not an issue. I'll certainly ask her if she'd like to come, but seeing as she's never once been that fussed about coming to any of the Gasfests, Beaglefests, after-show get-togethers etc I've been to in the past, please don't be offended is she says no.

4) Erm, the photos of last time were actually taken by me.

5) I'm happy to do the booking again, if you like. There shouldn't be any problem in getting Quad for virtually any Saturday, because the place is deserted on most weekends, but they're happy to open for us.

6) As they say in Private Eye...

7) Er....

8) ...that's it. :)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Wow. That escalated again in hurry! :)

This all sounds like an excellent idea (well, it's been yonks since we had a get-together), but a few points from my point of view.

1) @octatonic - all you'll need to bring will be your cymbals, as the kits at Quad are excellent (so I'm told, but even I can see they're not shit) so setting up and dismantling shouldn't take too long at all, hopefully.

Thanks but I will still bring one of my kits.
    Some drummers don't mind playing other kits and I do it when on shared gigs but I'd always rather play with my own gear.
    edited July 2017
    Hey Den,

No problem I just didn't want you or your Wife to feel like she was excluded.
    I genuinely didn't remember about you taking photo's but I did remember Dave taking some so my apologies for that. My memory is hazy and I've since given up recreational smoking habits so a lot of my 'Old Life' is lost in a haze.

If we have a few people taking Photo's and Video it will only be better and as far as I remember they will allow us to record 'The Room' through the PA they supply? I'm sure I remember that being mentioned last time but it will mean that someone who knows how all that works to set that up, I'm a caveman when it comes to PA and recording etc.

If you need to arrive late or leave early that's fine man, we all know you've got some fairly heavy responsibility there.

I think my Idea of asking the people who are definitely going to PP the money to the person organising and making the booking is a good idea because it removes money being paid on the day from the equation and no one feels like they've lost out. It also encourages people who say they'll go to actually turn up, which is what made last time a little difficult at times.
    Ok, new thread required and all that (cont. on page 46 etc..)
  • @Alnico - no worries, at all, I wasn't in the least offended or tweaked by your suggestions at all. Far from it, they gave me a good laugh. :)

Yes we can record through the PA but you're right, someone will need to know how to do it, depending on who's on door duty at the studios (cos not everyone who works there knows how to do everything).

@octatonic - fair enough, just thought I'd mention it in case. :)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    Do y'all want me to start another thread then?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    No worries at all.
    May I suggest that we have a couple of easy tunes that people can learn so it doesn't turn into a 4 hour aimless 12 bar blues widdle?

Things like Midnight Hour, Mustang Sally, Call me The Breeze, Shake a Tail Feather, Let's Stick together are all easy tunes that people can knock out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    No worries at all.
    May I suggest that we have a couple of easy tunes that people can learn so it doesn't turn into a 4 hour aimless 12 bar blues widdle?

Things like Midnight Hour, Mustang Sally, Call me The Breeze, Shake a Tail Feather, Let's Stick together are all easy tunes that people can knock out.
    Good idea. We can agree them in the other thread once it gets going!
    Do y'all want me to start another thread then?
    Yes please.

octatonic said:
    No worries at all.

I agree.
    Last time we did that and it did at least give people an idea of what to play.
    As I remember Den was a star and printed out lyric sheets x 10 which was a huge help.
    As a point of reference to that, if we're going to give some practical tips to those who aren't used to doing this, those sheets would be a big bonus whether those beginners are planning on singing or not, so we can show them how to make notes on the lyric sheets with regard to their own part in the performance. Often, having a lyric sheet to *follow* on stage help drastically especially if it's all new to you.

Den, When we agree on a list of songs for people to study before the day if you would print them out again that would be a huge bonus.
  • It'd be my pleasure. :)
    It'd be my pleasure. :)
    Thanks man.