What's the strangest thing that has ever happened to you?

What's Hot

Comments

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I met some human beings I liked.
    You know who you are lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16156
    edited July 2017
    I was walking down the lane to our farm at about 10pm in November.
    Green lights appeared and a silver craft descended and radiated a traction beam.
    I was abducted by Aliens and experimented on extensively.
    They were concerned that my absence would ring alarm bells so I am actually a projected hologram of my former self which is why I don't ever age.
    I am now happily married and living as a winkle-stall holder by the seaside in a Galaxy far from here where ice cream is the staple diet and the only tv is repeats of the Chuckle Brothers Xmas special.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    When I proposed in January on a (seemingly) empty Caribbean beach, to then find that we'd been watched by a very polite drug dealer who was loitering in the shadows the whole time.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    Passing my accountancy finals.

Possibly a miracle, definitely strange.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Brexit. 

Pretty strange. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    edited July 2017
    Not weird in a spooky sense, but the oddest thing that happened to me was this:

Myself, my brother, and a bunch of our friends had been up at the north coast coasteering for the day, and we had gone out for dinner afterwards. I had parked in a big shopping centre car park in Coleraine.
    Arriving back from dinner, I realised the car park barriers were closed and padlocked, with my car inside. I phoned the helpline on the car park signpost, but the company no longer operated the car park and didn't know who did.
    At that point I thought I'd be stuck there for the night, until one of my brothers friends decided to try his bunch of keys on the padlock. 
    Unbelievably, one of his keys fitted and opened the lock, and we were able to open the barrier, drive out, and re-lock the barrier.

Still can hardly believe it.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Brexit. 

Pretty strange. 
    That was the best thing that happened to me.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3591
    I went to the other world, if that's what it was, unfortunately I was brought back, it completely changed my whole perspective on shit.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Standing on a rock that spins around and orbits a massive nuclear reaction while travelling through the vastness of the cosmos. I find being alive one of the strangest things thats ever happened. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    We lived in an old RAF married quarter about 17 years ago and lots of strange things happened there. TV would turn off and on by itself, lots of sudden whiffs of flowers, feeling you weren't by yourself and doors unlocking themselves. When I used to come in off nights the house was bloody noisy. You could hear things moving about in the kitchen cupboards. I thought we had mice or whatever but of course we didn't.
    We were at a party about 2 years ago and got chatting to a couple who (as it turned out) had lived along the street when we'd lived at this house. It went something like:

"We were at 100"
    "Oh yeah, 100, the one on the corner".
    "That's it"
    "The haunted house"
    Honestly I felt a bit faint when they said that.

A woman had committed suicide in the front room after discovering her husband had been having an affair about 10 years before we'd moved in and 2 couples had asked to be moved from it afterwards. It was empty for a long time until we moved in. We told the couple about our experiences and we were all a little moved by the possibility that there was this sad, lost woman still in the house.

Maybe it's all explainable but sad all the same.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Back towards the end of the '90s, my friend's wife died very suddenly.  She wasn't even 40, and although she had a few longstanding health issues, it was totally unexpected and happened over the course of a single weekend.  Literally, I came back to work on the Monday, and my boss (my friend and I worked together) told us she'd gone...it was some form of cardiomyopathy, and she'd died of congestive heart failure.  We were all pretty numb, and the following few weeks were a bit of a haze.  I was one of the bearer's at the funeral.  All very surreal, and very upsetting.

They'd lived together out in a dark corner of rural Norfolk, so my wife (just my girlfriend then) and I would go out and check in on Chris as often as we could.  Their house and their cats were their pride and joy, and over the preceding few years, we'd spent a fair few evenings out there eating, drinking, laughing, talking films/music...all the usual stuff.  So, anyway, not too long after the funeral, Chris offered to cook for us.  We drove out there and spent the evening just doing our best.  It was tough, but he was a good friend and, you know, you find a way to help however you can.  Just doing normal stuff is the best you can do sometimes.  We'd offered to stay over, but he says, nah, that's fine, you get on home.  So, time to leave, pitch black Norfolk night, not a streetlight for miles, and we drive away down the track that passed for their road.  I'm driving, and as I look in the mirror behind us, I clearly see Chris's outline stood in the lit front doorway, cat under his arm, waving us off, and upstairs, the silhouette of a single figure in the bedroom window, watching us leave.  I can still see it now, plain as you like, with utter absolute clarity.  I wasn't freaked out, and I wasn't scared, because I knew there was nothing to fear from that figure.  I just knew.  And that's the strangest thing that ever happened to me.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Smoked some salvia and measured the weight of a banana just using the power of vision.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13959
    Dominic said:
    I was walking down the lane to our farm at about 10pm in November.
    Green lights appeared and a silver craft descended and radiated a traction beam.
    I was abducted by Aliens and experimented on extensively.
    They were concerned that my absence would ring alarm bells so I am actually a projected hologram of my former self which is why I don't ever age.
    I am now happily married and living as a winkle-stall holder by the seaside in a Galaxy far from here where ice cream is the staple diet and the only tv is repeats of the Chuckle Brothers Xmas special.
    Sore arse then?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    A about 10 years ago now, my mum and her fella were at the pub and i was home alone. I was laid on the sofa watching a film, only me in the house and doors were locked, no other lights on either when the kettle randomly turned on seemingly by itself and boil. 

I was freaking the fuck out. 
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    This is copied and pasted from a post I made on here in 2013:

A few years back, just before the global economy went tits up, I was looking to buy a big old house in Maryport on the Cumbrian coast.  Actually looking at three of them, but the one in question here was a spectacular gothic house, split into two, shame that, which we nicknamed "Munster House", and the only thing missing was the ring of bats around the tower.  It was built for a local tycoon at the end of the road, and looked directly out across the most northerly west coast Roman fort site to the Three Kingdoms sea, from where the owner could see his ships coming safely home.  Apparently that was what the tower was for.  From the rear windows you looked across to Skiddaw in the Lakes.  Maryport is still a tough town by reputation, and historically had more tonnage, mostly of coal and iron, through its docks in it's early days than Liverpool.  It is only a few miles up the coast from Whitehaven, where ex Whitehaven boy John Paul Jones captained and landed a small US invasion from USS Ranger, in April 1778 during the American war of independence.

Back to the viewing at "Munster House".  The agent and my good lady were downstairs while we were taking a second visit to the house.  I had gone back up for another look round, and been up the small staircase to the attic bedrooms, five of them off a large communal room.  Walk around and measure up finished, I came back down the stairs onto the landing corridor, which was blocked part way down when the house was divided some years before.  There was a glass panelled door from this corridor to the landing which I hadn't really noticed until as I got to the last stair it swung quietly closed.

The voices of my good lady talking with the agent muffled, and I felt what I can only describe as a presence, nothing forbidding, but a strong feeling that someone or something was in the corridor with me.  I can't properly describe how time seemed to slip away and the sense of place too,  but there was a communication, or a feeling of understanding that I was maybe being vetted or at least enquired of.  In the moments that followed I felt that whoever this "spirit of the house was, they were benign, after an "exchange of consciousness" I "asked" if it was OK to live there, well the last thing you want is to be unwelcome in these circumstances.  I can only describe the communication as 'feelings', but although somewhat un-nerved by this unexpected encounter, I 'felt' that I would be welcome to live there.  With that I took a few steps forward and pushed the door open.  It took a fair push as it had obviously not been relieved to clear the carpet.  Strange how it glided so quietly closed only moments before.  The sound of conversation then refilled the air and the presence evaporated.  I was back on the magnificent landing, huge ceiling rose above and original Victorian tiled hall floor below.

As I turned to close the door, I realised it was opened out onto the landing.  When I came upstairs it had been opened into the corridor, so I pushed it back against the resistance of the carpet, and realised that it was double hinged.  i had barely realised that there was even a door there until I saw it close, so how could I have known to push it open in apparently the wrong direction to leave my mysterious encounter?

We finished looking around and thanked the viewing agent who locked the front door behind us.  When I shared my experience later, my good lady was not shocked, but had felt nothing herself.  So we went back to the flat we were renting in the Lakes.  I have to say I felt somewhat bemused and unsettled by the whole experience.  The following day we were back in the estate agents, small town, one regular member of staff there.  I asked about the property and if anyone else had met the "ghost" there, she looked me straight in the face, they knew all about this…

Everything then went on hold as the global economic meltdown devastated my plans.  But I still look fondly back on the presence and my encounter with 'her' in that imposing old house.  I wonder now what it would have been like to live there and look out over the sea on stormy nights, with a guardian for company.  A friendly spirit, and a very unusual encounter.

This is straight up as it happened and as I experienced it.  You can take this as you will, but it certainly leaves me with more questions than answers.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    I also posted this at the same time:

I really don't know about these things, but I have talked with enough people who I respect to know that there are many unexplained things in this world of ours.

I drove down the same country road, often, when returning home, in the early year saw young rabbits on the verges, and each year they were nearer the road, some sitting oblivious to the passing traffic at the very edge of the road itself.  Fifty miles an hour with a ton of killing metal inches away from them and they were oblivious to the whole experience.  They had tuned out what was of no consequence to them.

We are only aware of a small proportion of reality, we have evolved to only tune into what we need to survive.  Our whole reality is constructed from fragments of sifted information in our own brains.  We all differ slightly, but on the whole share the same (limited) sense of reality as each other.

You only have to take a look at the strange world of quantum mechanics to realise what we really "just don't get it".  Without applied quantum physics you would not be reading this, or able to access the internet on a smart phone, or even have one.

The point is there is so very much beyond our very limited perception of reality, what a wonderful journey for the human race to explore and discover.  I for one, would love to live a thousand years, live the journey, and behold the wonders yet to be discovered, that would be magnificent.

• jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    I posted this a bit back.

This one can be explained and looking back now I can laugh about it but at the time I was terrified! 
    Sorry it's a long one. 
    Me and my girlfriend booked a weekend away in Wales. 
    The cottage we booked was literally in the middle of nowhere no phone reception no 3G. We collected the keys from the agent that met us at the bottom of the cottages drive which was basically a mile or so long dirt track.
     We pull up outside and my girlfriend remarks how it looks like something from a horror movie. 
    We take our bags in and go for a look round, outside was a brick outhouse full of logs for the fire complete with a selection of different axes! 
    After a little walk we head back to the cottage make some dinner and drink a couple of bottles of wine. 

It was pitch black outside there was no light pollution anywhere but the moon was really bright and made everything look really eerie. 

My girlfriend heads up to bed but comes running back downstairs saying she can see a light at the bottom of the track that looks like a torch, I look out the window and see the same thing a light shines for a few seconds then goes off at random, but it didn't seem to be coming any closer.

I make sure all the doors are locked and we head up to bed. We must have been a sleep a hour or so and there's a bang outside, I look out the window and can't see a thing, but the light at the bottom of the lane is still there. We get back in bed and try not to think about it joking about it, five minutes pass and there's a noise that sounds like a man shouting and the bang again, at this point I'm bricking it my girlfriends hysterical, the shouting sound happens again so I peak out the window and the bang happens again and it's the door of the outhouse with all the axes in it! 
    All I can think of is now there's an axe murder on the loose. 
    At this point we were seriously thinking of making a dash for the car that's parked in front of the house, My car had a alarm on it and if I pressed the lock button twice on the key fob the horn would sound, so I thought I'd just keep pressing it so the horn went off to either scare away whoever was out side or maybe someone would hear it and come to the house. I started pressing the lock button and the horn beeped just as the horn sounded the door to the outhouse swung open and a fucking enormous sheep ran out! 

The 'shout' we heard was it's baa, the bang was the outhouse door banging shut and the lights a the bottom of the lane turned out to be car headlamps on the road at the entrance to the lane. 
    I went through every bloody emotion in that 5 minutes and a pair of pants!
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    I had a very definite ghost encounter back in 2000.

I was staying at a mate's in Essex for the weekend as it was his stag weekend so a few of us were out on the piss.

The Friday night I'm supposed to be asleep in the living room but I can't because every few minutes the phone makes a soft tinkling noise, *like* a ring soft and light. Thinking it's a breeze from the window a few inches away I go to check, but there isn't a breeze. The phone was a metal one, similar to this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014HXS80O?psc=1 Not difficult to pick up the received but you knew you were and the two bits it rests on seems sturdy too and needed an obvious prod to move at all. Nonetheless there *WAS* a very definite tinkle coming from it all night..........FOLLOWED by soft footsteps running up the staircase onto the upper bedroom area, where the boards creaked lightly along the fist third of the landing.

Saturday morning I'm hungover, haven't slept and thinking my mates a fucking joker but he tells me very matter of factly that there was the ghost or spirit of a mischievous young girl in the place. He'd moved in several months ago as it was his soon to be wife's place and thought she'd been winding him up too at first. As much as we could both be wind up merchants that was one of very few occasions when I saw nothing but the truth written all over his face.

Saturday night I can't be arsed trying to sleep in the living room so my mate fixed up the air mattress and a blanket in one of the kids rooms as they were at a friends overnight. A few hours later I'm woken up by a small hand gripping my right thigh. I'm shitting bricks now but I got a vibe that is was the ghost spirit and they just wanted to prove their existence. I also got a sense of mischief. So this ghost 'climbed' until it was face to face ( not that I could see anything ) then bit me on the nose!!!

I woke my mate and his OH up yelling and they keep reminding me of it :grin:

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    A few years ago I self harmed, not dangerously... but it was getting worse.  I wasn't ill, unhappy etc... It was just something I did to reinforce feelings

I had a friend take his life a number of years before and in a moment of uncertainty I asked him out loud what I should do.  I told him I'm going to flip a coin, and heads I'm carrying on, tails I'll see a doctor, show me.

I flipped tails, and I thought bullshiiiittt, and flipped again,....tails.  7 times in a row I flipped tails.  I phoned the doctor that afternoon.

I don't do drugs, I wasn't drunk.  I know the odds can happen, but they are very slip, and it came at a very important time.

Either he wanted to help. or life did.  I didn't stop that day, but with the help of a doctor I did soon after, and haven't since.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    In the early 80's my parents had a touring caravan and every summer we would go on holiday to Dorset.  We'd always set off in the late afternoon and would be driving at night to avoid as much traffic as possible.

One year we'd been driving in the countryside in the middle of nowhere and there was a car behind us for ages, Dad slowed down a bit and eventually after a long time it overtook us.

After a while we got to one of those one street villages with a set of traffic lights in the middle with one lane going straight forward and one turning left.

We were in the lane to go left and just as we were doing so the car that had earlier overtaken us passed by in the right hand lane.

To this day my Mum swears that the driver and the passenger were wearing those old man halloween masks.

My parents couldn't figure out how it had got back behind us as between the point it had overtaken us and the village there were no other roads.