What's the strangest thing that has ever happened to you?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13980

About a year after the wife & I moved into our new build house, around 1999 before we had kids, we were alone in the house, downstairs watching TV when we heard a loud bang on the floor in the bedroom immediately above us, it sounded like a really heavy object fell onto the floor. We have just particle boarded floors so noise carries down below and it was a hell of thump, like it had real weight to it.

Both startled, I shot upstairs and...nothing, no sign of anything on the floor, it was a fairly empty room so anything out of place would have been very obvious. It's unexplained.

We still talk about it, and tell the kids about the ghost in my son's bedroom!

Any odd or strange occurrences to report?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Early hours of the morning I was sitting in my living room alone, misses and little boy asleep upstairs, had been for hours.

The room was an L shape, out of nowhere my sons football (a heavy leather one) rolled quite quickly from one room into the room I was sitting in and then stopped dead a couple of yards in front of me.

It moved like it was kicked and stopped like someone had put their foot on top of it, it didn't roll to a stop or bounce, just stopped dead 

At that point I though f**K that and went to bed.
    2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    I was once upstairs in my house and heard the television downstairs.  I am sure I'd turned it off before retiring for the night.

As I made my way downstairs, I tripped over Muffy and hit my head quite hard on the floor.

A few seconds later, I swear, the bedroom light went on and a grey apparition appeared in the doorway, surveyed the room, shrugged, switched off the light, and left.

I hear voices in the walls.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26951
    underdog said:

At that point I though f**K that and went to bed.
    The only way to make you more British would be if you made a cup of tea instead.
    <space for hire>
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1764

Yup - I'm very sceptical about anything spiritual and beleive that everything can be explained somehow. On one occasion however something happened that I cannot explain.

As a poor student I topped my up my loan by working behind the bar at Bradford Uni. It had at the time two bars underneath the student union one very small another a large nightclub affair. I was working in the smaller of the two and the larger one was completely empty. I had to get some bottles from the empty bar and saw walking across the dancefloor a chap with brown hair wearing a blue boiler suit. As this place was empty and secure I was quite shocked and yelled at him but received no response as he kept on walking.

I went back into the smaller bar and got a colleague so we could apprehend the intruder and call security. This time both of us saw him walking across the dancefloor exactly as I had done moments before. We unlocked the bar to go get him but he'd vanished. We searched the place but he was nowhere to be seen.

Learned a few days later this has happened before. Someone told me it's the ghost of someone who was working there (contractor or something) who'd had a heart attacker and died at the foot of the stairs near where we saw him but I've no idea if that's true.

That's probably the strangest thing that ever happened to me

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72854
    Similar stuff in our old house.

The fire blanket twice being pulled out of its holder and spread neatly on the floor - it couldn't possibly have fallen, I tested it to see how much force was required - random things being knocked over in the middle of the night, and the weirdest one of all, when were getting ready to go out…

My wife was standing in front of me putting her jacket on, and there was a speck of dirt on it in the middle of her back - *something* invisible between the two of us pinched the jacket and pulled the dirt off, right in front of me, then the dirt seemed to disappear in a little glittering line of faint fairy dust through a closed door, almost faster than I could follow it out of the corner of my eye. I've never seen anything like it, to the point I can't quite be sure what it was I saw, and it was really one of those hairs-on-your-neck moments. My wife felt the pull too, and turned round to find me standing with both hands putting *my* jacket on, so I couldn't possibly have done it - so she was quite freaked out too.

When some of our friends came round once their very young child asked "who's the man in the corner?" when we were all in the front room together… with definitely no man in the corner. He got quite insistent that there was when we told him there was no-one there.

But it never felt threatening or 'scary', just odd and disconcerting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2940
    ICBM said:

My wife was standing in front of me putting her jacket on, and there was a speck of dirt on it in the middle of her back - *something* invisible between the two of us pinched the jacket and pulled the dirt off, right in front of me, then the dirt seemed to disappear in a little glittering line of faint fairy dust through a closed door, almost faster than I could follow it out of the corner of my eye. I've never seen anything like it, to the point I can't quite be sure what it was I saw, and it was really one of those hairs-on-your-neck moments. My wife felt the pull too, and turned round to find me standing with both hands putting *my* jacket on, so I couldn't possibly have done it - so she was quite freaked out too.
    LSD is great isn't it.
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I've got another odd one, this is my father's story, he believes in nothing that can't be explained but this one thing that happened to this blows his mind.

He was at a graveyard visiting his mother's grave as he does regularly. He was her grave when he heard someone call him, so he went to see who it was, when walked around the corner there was no one there, but he heard someone directing him so he just followed the directions and when he got to where he was told to walk he was by a headstone.

The headstone was of a 19 Year old woman who had died of leukemia, on the headstone it said beloved wife of my grandfather. Turns out my grandfather had been married before, no one knew this apart from nan (who's grave my father was visiting) and of course my grandfather.

So the fact he was married previously was discovered purely by the voice telling my father where to walk
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13980
    edited July 2017

My son's night terror's that he had when he was younger, around 6-9 years old were freaky (in the same room as the loud bang, years before). We would occasionally wake to find him moaning or crying walking around the house with his eyes open but a glassy dead look in them as he wailed "mummy don't let them get me" and we would struggle to 'wake' him up but eventually he would just get back into bed and shut his eyes.

I came round one night and he was stood next the our bed looking straight at me in silence with the same glassy dead look in his eyes. Bloody boy scared me half to death. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4304
    edited July 2017
    Nothing really strange ever happened to me but recently the 4 year old daughter of some friends of hours told them how every night a man with horns comes into her room, wakes her up, and paints strange symbols on her walls.

Fuck.

That.

Noise.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

I once bought a guitar on Denmark Street for a reasonable price. (Though it was in the '80s.)

18reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1007
    many years ago i was driving back from bath with my friend at night (it was cloudy as no stars/moon in the sky).

suddenly my friend points to something and says "what is that?"

i look and see what looks like a ball of white light motionless high up in the air above bath.

at first i thought it might be a plane/helicopter floodlight or such like.

as we were both looking at it it just shot off at high speed instantly and was gone (no acceleration just warp 9 speed then gone).

have never forgotten it. 

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Back in 99 a mate of mine was robbing some house - he was in the bedroom upstairs and fell over making a huge racket.

He hid in the wardrobe when the bloke in the house came up to check.

He just about managed to get out in the 10 second window later on when the owner was "occupied" with his missus...
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1106
    Probably not THE strangest but it was still weird..

Back in the day I'd rehearse late (past 10pm) out in Surrey. As last trains stopped going a particular route after this time my only way of getting back was via Clapham Junction where the fare was higher. Usually I'd get straight on without a ticket as the barriers were always open, and there were none at my home station. One night a ticket inspector got on and I was ready to give him the whole "but I would have missed my train...." blah blah and would have asked if I could buy one on the train (risk worth taking which paid off most weeks saving me £15 or so for just a single ticket). He was dealing with another person before he got to me but I think he had one eye on if I had a ticket or not. For some reason though he missed me out, walking straight past and onto the next person. Don't know what had happened but I saved that £15 and a possible penalty fare.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7847
    I was once at a get together with some other late teens and a girl I know since childhood (friend of my younger sister) started having a fit on the floor, someone piped in that maybe she was possessed or something as they'd been playing with a weegie board that night before we arrived. All 7 of us are now standing around now and I'm stood there thinking "she's very drunk or looking for attention" . Someone holding her down shouts "go away!" or such and all the lights in the house go off right at that moment. 

Everyone gets a huge fright (it's classic horror movie stuff innit) but the breaker is reset, lights go on and the girl is fine. (although still slightly drunk)

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Nothing strange has ever happened to me, that can't be explained. So it's not strange.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7847
    edited July 2017
    Thought twice about posting this as its pretty personal but here goes:

Once upon a time I was madly in love with someone but things couldn't/wouldn't be reciprocated for a number of reasons. Thing is that I've always had a bit of a sixth sense with people I'm close to but with this person my feelings were off the scale which may explain why it was stronger.

Every time I was near her by chance in public (5 times over a few years in a town of 40,000) I would have the strangest feeling that she was close and "know it" immediately. I would look around and within 2 or three minutes I would see this person appear around the corner or in a shop nearby. I once spent an hour of a movie with this same vibe going on for the lights to go up at the end and see her sat 6 rows behind me. 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    Thought twice about posting this as its pretty personal but here goes:

Once upon a time I was madly in love with someone but things couldn't/wouldn't be reciprocated for a number of reasons. Thing is that I've always had a bit of a sixth sense with people I'm close to but with this person my feelings were off the scale which may explain why it was stronger.

Every time I was near her by chance in public (5 times over a few years in a town of 40,000) I would have the strangest feeling that she was close and "know it" immediately. I would look around and within 2 or three minutes I would see this person appear around the corner or in a shop nearby. I once spent an hour of a movie with this same vibe going on for the lights to go up at the end and see her sat 6 rows behind me. 

Has the restraining order been lifted now?
    12reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10758
    Back in 99 a mate of mine was robbing some house - he was in the bedroom upstairs and fell over making a huge racket.

He hid in the wardrobe when the bloke in the house came up to check.

He just about managed to get out in the 10 second window later on when the owner was "occupied" with his missus...
    Post of the year contender for sure!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6558
    I've got Directory Enquiries after less than 40 rings.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72854
    Bidley said:
    ICBM said:

LSD is great isn't it.
    lol

Don't know, I've never tried it. We were both entirely sober too - it was when we were going out, I'd have maybe questioned myself if we'd been coming back :). The really unsettling thing was that whatever pulled her jacket was right in front of me, maybe even occupying some of the same space as me if it was human-size, and I had no sensation of anything being there except for seeing the jacket move. Very weird.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein