Football. Insane and sickening.

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
Transfer prices have always been on the silly side but the figures being banded about this window are insane.

Decent but not world beating players like Lukaku are being attached to 70 million plus transfer fees. Players with limited pedigree and virtually no winners medals like Eric Diet are now 50 million plus. 

It's loopy. I am amazed that football can sustain this. I am also amazed that the general public can stomach it. For so much talk of austerity and poverty, right there with so many supporters is one of the most obscene businesses.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I dread to think what everton are going to be paying a barely functioning Rooney for the next few years 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Never mind that.......
     I heard on radio programme yesterday that Ronaldo gets paid £308,000 for every Instagram post he makes and is the 3rd highest internet media earner in the world.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Dominic said:
    Never mind that.......
     I heard on radio programme yesterday that Ronaldo gets paid £308,000 for every Instagram post he makes and is the 3rd highest internet media earner in the world.
    And he still cheated on his taxes
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    It's sport, it's fantasy for most and reality for few... just so long as none of these guys ever say they got bored during a match and didn't try their hardest it'll all just continue
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
    It is a bitch, really. If only Rupert Murdoch could have sold mediocre Guitar Solos to the world, I'd be a chuffing Billionaire.

I'm only guessing here, but most of the people who react to this (and I'm not saying the OP is one) are the ones who fund it by chucking the money at it that it relies to sustain itself.

Stop feeding it if you don't like it!
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
    News Flash!

The renowned Guitarist of Pink Floyd, David Gilmour, has been sold for a record breaking £875.24 to a promising new band from Scotland called..... The Bay City Rollers.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    It is a bitch, really. If only Rupert Murdoch could have sold mediocre Guitar Solos to the world, I'd be a chuffing Billionaire.

I'm only guessing here, but most of the people who react to this (and I'm not saying the OP is one) are the ones who fund it by chucking the money at it that it relies to sustain itself.

I like football but not enough to pay to watch it. Ice Hockey and mountain biking are my thing.
  • Skys football subscription numbers are decreasing.  If this continues they will bid less for football rights and hey ho wages and transfer fees go down... Oh.. and we return to the 1970s..  mud, grim football, violence..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    The average player budget for the entirety of the 24 League 2 clubs will be less than Man United will spend on signing Lukaku, let alone his wages. Not even their most expensive player! 

It's like buying a Gibson - you know it should be good, but it's going to cost an awful lot and you hope it doesn't break. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    It's their money. If they think an asset is worth investing in then I don't see why we should have a problem with it.

Of course, I will always think it's terribly unfair that Man U doesn't only spend £74m on Lukaku and buy me a nice gold fridge with what they have saved, but that's because I'm a jealous, greedy, selfish whiner like the rest of humanity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited July 2017
    Transfer prices don't matter while the money in football is on an upward trend. When was the last time a club like United has a sustained decrease in revenue? So it makes sense to spend money now because it will cost more to buy the same thing in the future. On top of that, it is all relative. So £x for Lukaku is probably less of a gamble than £x+20% for Morata who has no premierleague experience. 

frictionfraction said:
    Skys football subscription numbers are decreasing.  If this continues they will bid less for football rights and hey ho wages and transfer fees go down.

So unless the fall in Sky viewing figures continues (or the loss in revenue is not covered elsewhere), transfer prices will increase and the only sensible approach is to spend. I cancelled my Sky Sports package when it went up to £7.50 a month. It is over £20/month now apparently.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited July 2017

I stopped following the pro game over 20 years ago...

I don't even watch the international fixtures.

Generally though I don't think your average fan cares. Blinded by loyalty and wrapped up in the tribal mentality of following 'their' team.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    The club will soon recoup the money spent on playerX.
    The club will sell X-number of season tickets. WIth these tickets the fan will also spend in the club shop, buy a pie at half time and drinks (on match-day).
    The club will sell shirts with playerX's name on the back, at £50/time.
    PlayerX being on the team sheet will help sell the left-over publically available match tickets.

Premiership (and spanish/German/Italian/American) football these days is a global thing so shirt sales etc are worldwide and not limited to a 30mile radius of the club.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    I expect that the gate receipts represent a very small percentage of a football clubs annual income. Shirt sales, TV etc is what keeps the club afloat. The football part is almost incidental......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    No it isn't Rocker, because if the football part isn't good, then the rest falls away (although it will take a while).

People around the globe have no issue with paying £50 for a shirt, £20 a month for TV, £50 for a match ticket, £5 for a hot dog etc etc (If they did have an issue, they'd stop doing it). So football is collecting  a huge sum of money.

Therefore the money should be going to the players, as they're the product.

Does anyone have an issue with Brad Pitt etc earning a huge chunk of a films revenue? So why are people outraged by footballer's salaries?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    chrispy108 said:

Does anyone have an issue with Brad Pitt etc earning a huge chunk of a films revenue? So why are people outraged by footballer's salaries?
    Personally I'd like to see a cap on player wages. Something like the NFL where individual wages can be anything, but total wages cannot be above either a set amount or a percentage of the clubs income. This should stop individual clubs buying all the top players and (effectively) buying their success. I'm well aware it won't eliminate this completely, but should help make things a little fairer.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    No it isn't Rocker, because if the football part isn't good, then the rest falls away (although it will take a while).

People around the globe have no issue with paying £50 for a shirt, £20 a month for TV, £50 for a match ticket, £5 for a hot dog etc etc (If they did have an issue, they'd stop doing it). So football is collecting  a huge sum of money.

Transfer fees, not salaries.

I'm just surprised that in this era of austerity footballers, who aren't proven at the top level,  command such high fees. 

I'm also quite surprised people are willing to pay so much to watch it. Few clubs have any real aspirations to actually win much. Leicester and possibly athletico being the exceptions.
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Given what laughingly passes for football in this country I'm surprised any of them get paid at all. I'm utterly astounded that most of them can do anything, yet alone kick a ball.

@chrispy108 no I don't resent actors being well paid at all. If nothing else, the likes of Brad Pitt, etc have talent, work hard for their cash and deliver. Show me one English footballer who is worth their exorbitant wage, ta :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3080
    The product is at the centre of the industry and they're paid the going rate. I'm not keen on Ed Sheeran or Katy Perry but I don't begrudge them their wages. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Given what laughingly passes for football in this country I'm surprised any of them get paid at all. I'm utterly astounded that most of them can do anything, yet alone kick a ball.

@chrispy108 no I don't resent actors being well paid at all. If nothing else, the likes of Brad Pitt, etc have talent, work hard for their cash and deliver. Show me one English footballer who is worth their exorbitant wage, ta :)

That is just silly. If they were not considered to be worth their wages, they wouldn't be employed, just like anyone else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom