Football. Insane and sickening.

What's Hot

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    @crispy108, Real Madrid recovered the transfer fee of David Beckham in three days of replica shirts sales.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I removed myself from being utterly offended by the obscene money in football some years ago, however, it was re-ignited this year by the fact that Pogba's agent earned £40 Million (as in FORTY F*CKING MILLION!!!!!!) for the Man U deal. 

I would dearly love World football to crash and burn, big clubs go bust, a MASSIVE reset for the whole sport. The disgusting parasitic creatures that are agents to all get rounded up and shot (OK, that probably ain't gonna happen).

Actually, I have seen a hint that a crash and burn could possibly happen - apparently more and more people are turning to illegal streaming rather than paying Sky fees etc. Come on fans, break the law and destroy the money in Footie, give it back to the people!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    quarky said:
    Given what laughingly passes for football in this country I'm surprised any of them get paid at all. I'm utterly astounded that most of them can do anything, yet alone kick a ball.

@chrispy108 no I don't resent actors being well paid at all. If nothing else, the likes of Brad Pitt, etc have talent, work hard for their cash and deliver. Show me one English footballer who is worth their exorbitant wage, ta :)

That is just silly. If they were not considered to be worth their wages, they wouldn't be employed, just like anyone else.
    Yeah and your face is silly too!

I was attempting to point out the obvious differences between two types of actors; one of which cries every time a ball goes near them.

I did get a Lol so who cares.....

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited July 2017
    quarky said:
    Given what laughingly passes for football in this country I'm surprised any of them get paid at all. I'm utterly astounded that most of them can do anything, yet alone kick a ball.

@chrispy108 no I don't resent actors being well paid at all. If nothing else, the likes of Brad Pitt, etc have talent, work hard for their cash and deliver. Show me one English footballer who is worth their exorbitant wage, ta

That is just silly. If they were not considered to be worth their wages, they wouldn't be employed, just like anyone else.
    Yeah and your face is silly too!

I was attempting to point out the obvious differences between two types of actors; one of which cries every time a ball goes near them.

I did get a Lol so who cares.....

How can you tell from there

People's time and effort are worth what other people are pay generally. I wouldn't pay that much, but then I don't run a football club.

@quarky  lucky guess lol

You're right though England do earn their wages. I take it all back.....

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36573171

;)

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2017
    Dominic said:
    Never mind that.......
     I heard on radio programme yesterday that Ronaldo gets paid £308,000 for every Instagram post he makes and is the 3rd highest internet media earner in the world.
    I'd give up the football and make Instagram posts all day.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6138
    As long as the punters are happy to pay insane prices for season tickets, new team colours and Sky Sports then the 'professional football' business and all its parasites will be happy to milk them dry. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2929
    It's their money. If they think an asset is worth investing in then I don't see why we should have a problem with it.

Of course, I will always think it's terribly unfair that Man U doesn't only spend £74m on Lukaku and buy me a nice gold fridge with what they have saved, but that's because I'm a jealous, greedy, selfish whiner like the rest of humanity.
    This.

And the players' wages will always be a red herring. The reason there's so much money in football is 99% down to the players. I'd rather they get a big chunk of that than a bunch of suits who watch a couple of games a season.

The agent thing needs to be curbed though. They're the real parasites.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Dominic said:
    Never mind that.......
     I heard on radio programme yesterday that Ronaldo gets paid £308,000 for every Instagram post he makes and is the 3rd highest internet media earner in the world.
    Damn he must have sponsorships coming out of his arse.  
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    With regard to agents, the chairman of Blackpool FC (whatever his other faults, and it seems they are many!) refused to pay agents, on the logic that the agent was the PLAYER'S agent. Therefore the player, not the club, should pay the agent.  Perhaps others should follow that lead.

• MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 456
    Nitefly said:
    With regard to agents, the chairman of Blackpool FC (whatever his other faults, and it seems they are many!) refused to pay agents, on the logic that the agent was the PLAYER'S agent. Therefore the player, not the club, should pay the agent.  Perhaps others should follow that lead.

Agents are a weird one, they are the ones touting players around getting them the better deals etc, yet the clubs seem to bear the brunt of the fees during transfers. I mean it's not as if Man Utd didn't know about Pogba given he was on their books...
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    TheBlueWolf said:

I get the impression that you haven't watched very much football, instead preferring to base your view of the sport on imaginary events that fit your own agenda.

I'm not much of a football fan myself but very little of what I have seen remotely matches your illustration.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    @quarky  lucky guess lol

;)
    Players who play for England don't get a wage for doing so. They get a small match fee which they usually donate to charity.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Insane and sickening? Not really. The clubs pay, people pay to watch it, ad companies pay to sponsor. Its self propelling and if it works, leave them to it. Its not as if anyone is compelled to watch footy. I think the whole scale of the game is bizarre and incredible, but sickening? Nah.

I can't believe that people on average income can afford to go watch premier league, or even champioship footy though: its an expensive hobby for sure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well I've really upset the footie fans lmao :grin:

The first match I saw was in 1976, so no I've obviously got no fucking clue what I'm on about. 

Umm, agenda? Too funny :lol: Quite a lot of people dislike football for the *facts* that I've stated but please do keep telling me why I'm wrong.....

:grin:

Bidley said:
    @quarky  lucky guess lol

;)
    Players who play for England don't get a wage for doing so. They get a small match fee which they usually donate to charity.
    Ah, that makes humiliation against part timers on the world stage sound much nicer lol

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    edited July 2017

Umm, agenda? Too funny lol Quite a lot of people dislike football for the *facts* that I've stated but please do keep telling me why I'm wrong....

OK, watch ten matches. I'll give you a tenner every time someone cries when the ball goes near them and you give me a tenner every time someone doesn't cry when the ball goes near them. You might be right - I haven't seen a full match for quite a long time - but I reckon I'll do OK out of the deal.

Would you say you do like football? If not then do you think that is why you make stuff up (...assuming the crying thing turns out to be bollocks...) about it to back up your point of view? Or do you think that you don't like football because of the stuff you have made up about it? One of those options suggests you are creating imaginary events to fit an agenda, the other suggests that football is not what you thought it was and you might like it if you watched it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bidley said:
    @quarky  lucky guess lol

;)
    Ah, that makes humiliation against part timers on the world stage sound much nicer lol
    Just pointing out that wages, again, are a red herring.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    The sad part for me is not the principle, business is business, but the fact the tv money now outweighs ticket income by such a large margin.
    It's easy to say if you don't like it stop feeding it but if you've been sitting in the same seat for thirty years it's more like a divorce than a consumer decision. Also if you give up that season ticket you are never getting it back. Ever.
    BT getting the rights to all European football was also a pain (through no fault of their own) as supporters now have to pay two subscriptions to see the same amount of football.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3909

Lukaku's gone to ManU for 75 million then. I'm so glad I follow Darlington.