Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!!

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    spark240 said:
    Alnico said:
    spark240 said:
    Want to put me down for acoustic on the last song of the day ?
    @Bridgehouse could you do that please?
    @spark240 is playing acoustic for 'Comfortably Numb'.
    Will do - tho an "acoustic" column would fuck up my spreadsheet :)
    Just dump me in Guitar 3 ...?
    Lol - I was gonna do that with a "special" note ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillyK57BillyK57 Frets: 11
    Just seen this thread and as I live in Leicester, I'm so pissed off I'm away on vacation on 2nd September. Looking at the popularity of this event, perhaps a bi-annual meet would also be subscribed, in which case, as a really shit guitarist, I'm in !!
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    BillyK57 said:
    Just seen this thread and as I live in Leicester, I'm so pissed off I'm away on vacation on 2nd September. Looking at the popularity of this event, perhaps a bi-annual meet would also be subscribed, in which case, as a really shit guitarist, I'm in !!
    Thanks Bill.
    Where this goes after this first Jam we're not sure yet.
    The initial idea was to run more than one per year but that was to capture different areas.
    There's lots of ideas floating about and his year will determine next year so that's probably the best way to look at it.

I do have one very important point I'd like to make on this subject though. ...

There is NOTHING on this earth stopping any one of you lot banding together (pun intended) and hiring a studio for an afternoon. 
    It's easy and if you can get to somewhere like Quad then what's stopping you doing this yourselves on a smaller scale with let's say 10 people? 
    I'll tell you the only thing stopping you all from doing it.
    You!
    That's all.

A laptop full of backing tracks if you can't find drums and bass.......just pipe it through the PA.
    So 10 guitarists can have an afternoon jamming as a band would for what..... £80 between 10 of you?
    Record it, get some photos of yourself playing live, get volume experience, feel live and get the holy fuck out of the house.......for £8 each !

Bad in the good old days we used to go out and do things before the world brought it all to us online and all we do now is lol and click......
    It can still be done the analogue way.
    There's no law against it.

Anyway, back on topic now but that's worth people thinking about isn't it? Mini Jams?
    Funday?  
    Tell her to shut it and just piss off for the day with your guitar and your mates.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2252
    I was in a band formed from people on harmony central. We folded last year and still meet socially and play guitars.
  • just going through my Vimeo and had forgotten about this... shows you can get decent audio for not much money, Tascam DR07mk2 mounted on tripod(left of the image) is where the audio came from

^
    Shame we couldn't get more people involved that day.
    It's too slow, it's way too high for me to sing properly and it needed more tightness.

Nice video quality though.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27649
    ^^

I'd completely forgotten playing on that.

shows what can be achieved with just 4 hours of practising!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Alnico said:
    ^
    It's too slow, it's way too high for me to sing properly and it needed more tightness.

I know I was the weakest link but had only been drumming for about a year, never played an acoustic kit and never played in front of people.. it gave me a huge confidence boost tho been leaps and bounds ever since..

TTony said:
    ^^

I'd completely forgotten *tripping all over the place

*EFA :D :D
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Just to point out I am in that and had no fucking clue what I was doing at all. If I do actually managed to hit the right chord at the right time by some miracle it's entirely down to the people who were there helping me massively.
    I'd never even played guitar standing up before.
    This is kinda the point if these. I was terrified but they got me through it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    ^^

I'd completely forgotten *tripping all over the place

*EFA :D :D
    Someone spiked my drink.

:D
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Alnico said:
    ^

It sounds like you were well above your comfortable range. Really I think anyone who isn't a natural tenor will struggle with a lot of Neil Young songs in their original key. Well done for giving it a go though :) Nice video too :)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    Plectrum said:
    Alnico said:
    ^

It sounds like you were well above your comfortable range. Really I think anyone who isn't a natural tenor will struggle with a lot of Neil Young songs in their original key. Well done for giving it a go though :) Nice video too :)
    Thanks.
    It's not what I'd call something I'm proud of but I didn't know it was being posted.
    If it highlights how difficult it is to play without an experienced drummer, at the wrong tempo, with no bass guitar and a singer that can barely hit the notes in that key then it's a good thing.
    Oh yeah, and no one had ever played together. We all had varying levels of ability and after well over half the people who were going to go actually didn't, it wasn't exactly inspiring so my apologies for what comes over really badly.
    The people who did go enjoyed themselves and got a lot from it so I would hope that with a much better turnout and the right musicians we can do a lot better this time.

I'd forgotten any of that footage even existed.
  • Plectrum said:
    Alnico said:
    ^

Nice video too :)
    Sony HDR-AS30 provided the video, very good camera.. I use a Panasonic LX7 now which is awesome and soon be adding a Pana LX100 into the mix for 4K stuff.. I love shooting vid
    I think that's all a bit negative @alnico.

5 guys who had never played together before.

Half a drum kit.

A guitarist randomly volunteered to play bass.

A vocalist singing out of his range.

And those bloody rugs lying there in wait to trip anyone who dare move.

What can you manage to play in 20mins (I lied about the 4hrs of practising).

I've paid good money to watch worse
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    I think that's all a bit negative @alnico.

5 guys who had never played together before.

Half a drum kit.

A guitarist randomly volunteered to play bass.

A vocalist singing out of his range.

And those bloody rugs lying there in wait to trip anyone who dare move.

What can you manage to play in 20mins (I lied about the 4hrs of practising).

I've paid good money to watch worse
    ;)
    I agree with all of that, I didn't mean to cast too much of a shadow of that but I felt like I had to explain it in the terms of what it was, it was a bit of a shock watching it to be honest.
    If I chose my words poorly then fair enough but I didn't want people to think that a properly attended session with practice and organisation behind it would be the same.
    My apologies if I did.
    Update:

@TheBlueWolf has had to pull out for Family reasons so @KickTheHabit has taken his place. If Mr Habit would like to contact Mr Blue Wolf and arrange what to do with £8, that would be most obliging of him and no mistake!

The Reservist List now looks like this........

1. @adampeter ;;;;;;;;;;
    2. @shelders
    3. @paulmapp8306
    4. @AllthegearNoidea
    5. @Brocco
    ........and I'll be honest and say right now that given the 'Way of Things' I'm expecting (But not promising) all 5 of those guys to move up and get a place.
    Life is a fucker and families are often just as bad in their own lovely way. A lot of us, me included have health issues which can make life difficult for us and the people around us and there's going to be a degree of people looking at the calendar, realising they haven't got as far as they thought they would, there are less than 2 weeks and wtf am I going to do???
    I get all that.

The best thing I can find to say is that if for whatever reason you feel you don't want to play on the day, it's still totally cool to be there and try to learn from what you see. If you would rather just not do it at all or you feel that someone who would play might use your place then, well ok if that's what YOU want to do but we'd all rather see the people who've agreed to at least be there actually turn up if they can. Not going because you feel self-conscious.....what, with our lot? Have you seen us? That video is proof that in the wrong circumstances we can still do something. @Ennspek towers above me, he's fucking massive but that day he was terrified and with some encouragement and given some freedom to get the feel for it, he really enjoyed it. In the video, @Flink_Poyd is just sitting that song out but at other points, during the day he got the same kind of time where he could get a feel for what it's like playing along with other instruments going and no one felt under any pressure. What those guys got from the day was a very real sense of how it all feels. There was no way they were going to transform into rock stars that day so I wasn't expecting it which meant that what they did take away from it was utterly relevant to them.
    Even if you're having second thoughts but you think you could get something like this from the day, back out of any songs you've signed up for and just come along as one of us.
    If this actually happens, we have two rooms and I will gladly set aside 20 or 30 minutes with someone who would be able to play in some way, even if it's in room 2 and not with a full band. There'll be a lot of tech there and my laptop will have some backing tracks on which gives us a chance to do some 1-1 tuition of how to play along at tempo etc.........whatever you need we can set up and I will happily do this as long as the numbers don't get out of control.
    If this is you then please speak up but don't bottle it and not go, you'll thank me for it later if you just take my word for it for now and go anyway. If someone changes their mind about getting up and playing, that's fine. There's enough of us that could and would just step up and fill that 5-minute slot. Also don't forget a few of us can just pull out standards and improvise the whole song like we do at pub jam nights........We won't be short of material even if MOST of you decided not to play, we won't be bored or stuck for choices of what to entertain you with.

See how you feel in the next few days but even if and especially if, the practice is starting to weigh heavy on you, just stop, decide that you won't play, speak up and then relax. Go back to practising your own enjoyable way and on the day, come and see me. I'll help you with something that means you get some kind of direct tuition on playing live, somehow.
    But still, go.
    It will open your eyes and if you've never heard it in this context, your ears.

How many of you newbies have never stood on a stage with a 40w valve amp you KNOW is loud enough and you KNOW is switched on, but YOU can't hear it because of the noise of the rest of the band and the exact position you're standing in?
    I'll bet all of you don't know what this feels like.
    It means that you'll only hear your guitar when it goes wrong, or rather when YOU go wrong. So play everything right and you won't hear it. Get it wrong and you will. How do you cope with that?

Come to the jam and find out.
    Try standing next to me when I'm playing with the band and see how much of my amp you can hear as opposed to being out in front looking at the band.
    That is a lesson in playing live, all on its own.

There'll be plenty more happening as well.

See you there.

People who would like to go get your names on the reserve list. Around 8 people have got a place like that due to people having to pull out in the last 2 weeks. It will move up again.
    If anyone is on the list the day before, we'll ask you to give us your mobile number (If you want to) and we can text you if someone just doesn't show up, especially for people local to Leicester who could just pop down there. See how that one goes.

Righto, as you were.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33819
    Ok, I should probably start learning these songs on drums eh? :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33819
    I'm kidding- I know about half the set already from other bands (#almostlikeweplanneditthatway).
  • horsehorse Frets: 1583
    octatonic said:
    Ok, I should probably start learning these songs on drums eh? :)
    I was just preparing a playlist to make a start myself. @Bridgehouse - could you remind me where the list with the keys is please? I'm probably being daft but coildn't see the keys on the lists at the start of the 'songs' thread?
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    I'll either stump up the £8 anyway or put it in the tFB coffers. I'll PM @KickTheHabit  :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi