Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!!

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    aord43 said:
    Hi, I am a newbie to the forum but I've had my guitar for about 25 years...and yes, I still can't play properly and never played to an audience.  So I'd love to come along if there are still spaces.

Dave
    I suspect there will be enough spaces for everyone - seems like a pretty big place.

Just a bit of personal experience...I joined back when this community was run by MusicRadar, and hadn't gigged in about 12 years (since I was in my early 20s), and BeagleFest was my first real introduction to everyone. It was a fantastic "way in" to be able to meet everyone and put faces to names. I didn't actually do much playing - Mr Beagle and I did Get The Funk Out and then I spent the rest of the night drinking and being merry - but that didn't really matter, it's all about having a good time in a non-judgemental atmosphere
    Couldn't put it better myself. 

aord43 said:
    Hi, I am a newbie to the forum but I've had my guitar for about 25 years...and yes, I still can't play properly and never played to an audience.  So I'd love to come along if there are still spaces.

Dave
    Of course.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the Jam.

See you there. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    I would love to come along if possible, especially after recent events have given me a second chance !

Getting there might be a bit of an issue though, unless some kind soul from around this way is going, and could help me out with a car share.

Any chance of a lift ?  I live in Ludlow BTW, and don't take up too much space, honest !

If I can get there I am also very happy to help out in any way I can, so let me know if there is anything I can do.  I have lots of dusty and disparate skills, all a little rusty !

I would love to come along if possible, especially after recent events have given me a second chance !

Getting there might be a bit of an issue though, unless some kind soul from around this way is going, and could help me out with a car share.

Any chance of a lift ?  I live in Ludlow BTW, and don't take up too much space, honest !

If I can get there I am also very happy to help out in any way I can, so let me know if there is anything I can do.  I have lots of dusty and disparate skills, all a little rusty !
    Tell you what Chris,

I'll come by and get you and take you home again.
    I'm waiting to hear from @bigjon about jumping a lift with me so if he is, I can still swing by and get you and drop you off later.
    If he's not and you can put me up for the night,  I'll do that and call it a night at your place?
    I'm hiring a car for the weekend so I'm not fussed where I end up really.

Either way you're going, I don't want you to miss this.
    :)
  • Crikey, this is getting big. Starting to wonder if even Quad has the room for this lot! :D
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Crikey, this is getting big. Starting to wonder if even Quad has the room for this lot! :D
    I'll book the football ground if not ;)
    Alnico said:
    I would love to come along if possible...
    ... Either way you're going, I don't want you to miss this.

That's an exceptionally kind offer @Alnico , thank you...
    but that would be miles out of your way, and you are going to be so busy with all you have taken on in helping to organise this.  It would be far more than a "swing by", although you would be very welcome to stop over.   So, a very generous offer, but not at all practical, so I will have to gracefully decline.

Hopefully some other kind soul a bit (a lot !) more local will be coming along and won't mind a bit of company for the journey.

It is early days for this, and I love the enthusiasm shown so far, so let's see where it goes to.

I too would love not to miss this, so massive thanks to both you and Bridgehouse for organising it  :)

Alnico said:
    I would love to come along if possible...
    ... Either way you're going, I don't want you to miss this.

That's an exceptionally kind offer @Alnico , thank you...
    but that would be miles out of your way, and you are going to be so busy with all you have taken on in helping to organise this.  It would be far more than a "swing by", although you would be very welcome to stop over.   So, a very generous offer, but not at all practical, so I will have to gracefully decline.

Hopefully some other kind soul a bit (a lot !) more local will be coming along and won't mind a bit of company for the journey.

It is early days for this, and I love the enthusiasm shown so far, so let's see where it goes to.

I too would love not to miss this, so massive thanks to both you and Bridgehouse for organising it  :)
    Don't go upsetting @Alnico now, ;)

I'm the opposite side of the country to you so it's well out of my way, but I'm sure we can get something sorted for you.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26586
    Crikey, this is getting big. Starting to wonder if even Quad has the room for this lot! :D
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this gets filed under "Nice problems to have" :)
    <space for hire>
    @ChrisMusic - why not hop on a train? There'll be plenty of gear there, so you'd just need a guitar (if that!).
    <space for hire>
    edited July 2017
    @ChrisMusic - why not hop on a train? There'll be plenty of gear there, so you'd just need a guitar (if that!).
    We seem to be the back end of beyond as far as public transport is concerned.  Well that, and life has had it's "complications" recently (as documented in their own thread).  I appreciate the thought though  

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    @ChrisMusic I'll be travelling from Nantwich which I think is on the ludlow-Shrewsbury-Crewe line. If you can get reasonably near by train id be happy to pick you up
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Actually, just looked. There's a direct train from Ludlow to stoke on Trent - that's on my way if it helps
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    Meant to add, although I'm not a pro, I'm going to bring a set of tools along so if anyone not very confident in the world of set ups is struggling with action/truss rod setting and so forth I can impart some basic knowledge to get you started.

I remember how nerve wracking it was the first time I tentatively moved a truss rod...!
    Alnico said:
    Everything @Bridgehouse has posted in the OP says it all perfectly.
    I'll add that while I'm not a 'Tech', I have a guitar-centric toolbox that I'll bring along and given 20 minutes or so I too can take a rough playing guitar and make it play a lot better, providing it doesn't need in depth work like fret levelling etc but a restring and some tweaking won't take long and can make a huge difference if you want that doing.
    WezV said:
    Is it just about the playing?  I really do struggle in that area but would be up for a meet anyway... and like Alnico, I could bring a few tools etc.
    If we're doing setups and fret levelling then we could do with a source of strings, maybe 20 sets of 10-46s which we can re-sell at cost. Is anyone able to provide quality strings (not eBay copies) at a decent price?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    edited July 2017
    @Roland - apparently Quad studios have a shop where you can buy strings and stuff.. from their website:

"The Pro shop offers a wide range of essential supplies such as guitar strings, drum heads, batteries through to full guitar rigs and drum Kits. We are main dealers for Mays internal drum mics which are on demo and installed in several of our kits."
    Could somebody do a quick tot-up of how many are coming? I might have a word and see if I can scrag us a source of strings (and other stuff) in return for a bit of sponsorship...unless anyone objects, of course.
    <space for hire>
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    @Bridgehouse have you got me on the payee list?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    I'm sorting the list out later today, I'll make sure you're on it Roland.
    Roland said:
    Dunno, that's @Alnico's bag - he's doing a full list later today for confirmation.

You will be on the list now tho! ;)
    Could somebody do a quick tot-up of how many are coming? I might have a word and see if I can scrag us a source of strings (and other stuff) in return for a bit of sponsorship...unless anyone objects, of course.
    No Problem, Give me an hour or two, I just landed back at home.
    monofin said:
    @ChrisMusic I'll be travelling from Nantwich which I think is on the ludlow-Shrewsbury-Crewe line. If you can get reasonably near by train id be happy to pick you up
    Thanks @monofin , very kind of you.  That might be a possibility, I'll see how this pans out first, you never know, there may be someone on here who is just down the road !  I appreciate your offer, cheers