Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les Paul Prototype Build

What's Hot

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3175
    tFB Trader
    I think the relic job is spot on, looks great.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16751
    DannyP said:
    I've been following this thread and wowing - but I only just noticed the WV inlaid logo - it's great!

A great variation on the G-style headstock design all-round, actually - not too close but not too divergent either!
    i had those discs made up years ago and never liked them at first, too large for most f the stuff i was making at the time, they really only work on symmetrical 3 a side headstocks.  This was the last one though, and i might just stick with  waterslides moving forward

Truss rod will be the gretsch style 3-screw on this, although i did gibson style 2 screw on the last one i want a bit different here
    edited November 2017
    so these won't be the best pics as i am unlikely to see daylight until the weekend, but i want to show the subtle green tint i have so far.   Its still not right, but its starting to work.  there is an overall green hue, but not the strong green in the cracks

you can also see the wear through near the bridge pickup is looking less harsh

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    Wez baby........what would you say was the difference, if any, in tone between the traditional  stop tailpiece and the trapeze set up?
    tae be or not tae be
    worth comparing with a couple of custom s hops as well as originals

heavy aged 57
    http://www.ten-guitars.de/guitar/2016-gibson-les-paul-1957-goldtop-historic-select-heavy-aged/fotos

ultra aged at only £7k
    http://www.macaris.co.uk/1957-uk-exclusive-gold-top-ultra-aged/p/p158

you can see they are just spraying a dark green over high wear areas and to my eyes it looks totally disney
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    hootsmon said:
    Wez baby........what would you say was the difference, if any, in tone between the traditional  stop tailpiece and the trapeze set up?
    There is a definite different in feel.   i expected it to be a bit softer on the attack and a bit less resonant but in reality it works really well.  It could be a case that it would be more resonant with a top tail, but this one is certainly resonant enough without.   Its going to be hard to judge once plugged in as I have not gone for standard pickups i can compare to another les paul
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:

heavy aged 57
    http://www.ten-guitars.de/guitar/2016-gibson-les-paul-1957-goldtop-historic-select-heavy-aged/fotos

ultra aged at only £7k

you can see they are just spraying a dark green over high wear areas and to my eyes it looks totally disney
    wow, nice ageing 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:

heavy aged 57

ultra aged at only £7k

wow, nice ageing 
    I always say I like the story behind a relic. ... the story on the second one may involve a work experience student and a gold burst finish ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6397
    that 2nd one is shoddy ! Me no likee.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    tFB Trader
    I don't feel so bad about mine now, although I'll probably be repainting it, I do feel this could happen a few times yet before I'm happyish, these goldtops are bloody hard to age imo
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    I don't feel so bad about mine now, although I'll probably be repainting it, I do feel this could happen a few times yet before I'm happyish, these goldtops are bloody hard to age imo
    Where are the pics?  :)

if if you are thinking of stripping anyway it’s the perfect time to try something  more drastic before you do
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Where are the pics?  :)

if if you are thinking of stripping anyway it’s the perfect time to try something  more drastic before you do
    I'll try and post some up but in my eagerness to get this going I started doing the forearm wear then tried the greening thing but that soaked into the maple so now it looks really dirty on the edge, I'll probably have to bleach it
    I've got some other things coming like iron oxide and white vinegar to see if that turns green naturally
    When that's sorted out I might repaint

Heavy relic not easy, on the plus side the checking has come out great, I only added a few razor checking lines to the freezer ones

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)

I think one of the areas I overlooked was a pre-treatment on the maple.   I should have done a subtle amber tint or stain as the very first step  then any wear through would already have that old wood look, and it might have prevented other staining processes soaking in as much as they did

If you look at the old ones, the maple still under sealer is actually quite clean, but slightly yellowed, and my sycamore was very white.  Something to consider for next time

tFB Trader
    WezV said:

If you look at the old ones, the maple still under sealer is actually quite clean, but slightly yellowed, and my sycamore was very white.  Something to consider for next time

spot on, I've got wood bleach coming now

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    The ABR-1 is here and I have stocked up on ferric chloride and hydrochloric acid ready to age some metal parts.

i have had great results with ferric chloride in the past so will probably stick with that for this guitar.  I want the acid for chrome parts on other things
    tFB Trader
    I used ferric chloride on some kluson junior tuners, 3 on a plate type, it took some of the plating off, had to laugh as never had that happen before on all the other parts I've done
    Must be really thin plating
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    I used ferric chloride on some kluson junior tuners, 3 on a plate type, it took some of the plating off, had to laugh as never had that happen before on all the other parts I've done
    You can be quite subtle with it.  The tuners will only get a quick dunk
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    You can be quite subtle with it.  The tuners will only get a quick dunk
    I didn't even dunk just brushed on wiped off, the rest I've done the quick dunk no problem
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    it does seem to get some kinds of nickle quicker than others.  The washers from pots tend to fizz instantly.

This was all done in quick dunks in 40% Ferric Chloride, no more than 10 seconds at a time before being washed in clean water

the brass saddles have gone a bit pink but that will settle down naturally very quickly,
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Final attempt for some verdigris involves green hammerite.   Let’s see how that works out.