Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les Paul Prototype Build

What's Hot

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    If there's any left when you've finished, there's a patch on my garden gate that needs a top up :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    How on earth are you using Hammerite?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16751
    normula1 said:
    I was looking for a green paint of the right tone and texture.... it’s pretty close

i am using very small amounts rubbed on the high wear areas, rubbed off with white spirit when it was too much.  End result is quite nice but I will re-evaluate once dry.

I do have a whole tin left so if you need some for the gate it can be arranged.  ;)
    WezV said

I do have a whole tin left so if you need some for the gate it can be arranged.  ;)
    Shhhh..... the wife may be listening, I've got enough "dad jobs" to do :)
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    normula1 said:
    I was looking for a green paint of the right tone and texture.... it’s pretty close

i am using very small amounts rubbed on the high wear areas, rubbed off with white spirit when it was too much.  End result is quite nice but I will re-evaluate once dry.

if it works you can post some my way, i'm on the iron oxide and vinegar now, just hope the laquer holds up with the amount of abuse it's had
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    it naptha based so won't harm the nitro in small doses, although i am sure it would stain it if left on for too long but that isn't an issue here

The results are pretty good.   

I think I am nearly done  messing with this

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flipping heck, this looks better every time you post a pic. Fantastic work.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I'm beginning to think @WezV is doing a Blue Peter on us and has secretly got hold of a real prototype and has done a sneaky swap with one he *ahem* prepared earlier...

;)
    I'm beginning to think @WezV is doing a Blue Peter on us and has secretly got hold of a real prototype and has done a sneaky swap with one he *ahem* prepared earlier...

;)
    No.  I started with an original and stripped it back to bare wood.  I am just posting the photos in reverse. ;)

in all all seriousness that blue Peter approach is prevelant amongst relicers. They give a bit of info on the processes they use but often skip key steps/secrets 

i am hoping I have shown that a blade technique can be made to work, but needs quite a bit of effort afterwards to make it look right
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Awesomesauce !!!!
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    I've just bought the Dream Machines mag and your build is very much in the same ball park as the "real thing" they show.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well it’s wired and strung up.  A few jobs left to do.

firstly, I wired the Pickups the wrong way round.  I often like to have the bridge volume next to the bridge.  I know it’s wrong, but it’s how my first epiphone was wired and since I mainly used the bridge pickup it suited me well. but I decided to go traditional layout on this when wiring in the switch the other day... then defaulted to my preferred option when wiring in the Pickups.   On well, just a couple or wires to swap.

i also need to shim the bridge pickup a bit higher.  The Gretsch screws are shorter than normal P-90 screws and I don’t have enough height adjustment as it is.  Obviously the poles are not adjustable here either.  

then it’s just some nut and bridge fettling and a few plastic plates to make

its sounding pretty good already.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2611
    tFB Trader
    Awesome stuff...   Maybe you can take over from Tom Murphy when he retires  ;)
    Oh, and it’s bang on 3.5kg at the moment.  7lb 11 1/2oz
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1487
    It really looks great Wes.  Can't wait to see it again
    edited November 2017
    99% done now.  Only thing to make and fit is a truss rod cover. I will tweak the setup as it all settles in over the next few weeks but i have a nice low action as it is

sounds like the offspring of a gretsch and a gibson... not surprising really
    0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27657
    So, are you 100% sure that you're going to have  a solid finish over that lovely maple top??
    ;)

Nice work as ever Wez with incredible attention to detail and technique.  Worth a wow of anyone's money.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    So, are you 100% sure that you're going to have  a solid finish over that lovely maple top??
    ;)

I have shown a little bit ;)
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    Wow sincerely added. Great build thread...need to hear it now.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have"