BBC salaries published. Oh dear...

What's Hot

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited July 2017
    Where is Boaty McBoatface Sir David Attenborough on the list?

His name above the title of a BBC wildlife documentary definitely increases international syndication earnings. He may only be providing the voice-over for the camera work and sound recording of others but his reputation increases revenue. 
    Paid via a seperate production company so not on this list. Same reason Graham Norton actually brings in a lot more as his figure excludes his TV chat show.

Personally I happily pay my license fee for Attenborough docs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Where is Boaty McBoatface Sir David Attenborough on the list?

His name above the title of a BBC wildlife documentary definitely increases international syndication earnings. He may only be providing the voice-over for the camera work and sound recording of others but his reputation increases revenue. 
    He's not stupid and has a production company. His stuff is done by BBC worldwide, which is the commercial arm of the BBC and it's employees are not covered. 

I could not think of an easier way to fuck the BBC. Sky must be pissing themselves. 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    BBC is one of those rarer places to work. Money pours in through the front door and the only management worry is how to make sure they spend it all.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158

Personally I happily pay my license fee for Attenborough docs.
    You don't need to as they are very profitable. Lots of people around the world do pay for them (and have for a very long time). Likewise anything you can watch abroad, or on commercial channels. News, Sports, a lot of entertainment ect is purely domestic and costs money with no returns. 

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Attenborough will easily be in the top 3 if not the highest paid.

Have you glanced at the sales figures on his Planet Earth series worldwide on tv networks and DVD, Blu ray, 4K Bluray

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5165
    Sir David can have what he wants....The rest is a joke..Jeremy Vine £700,000!! Half his show is records followed by dumbed down drivel :o
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897

It's sickening that Lineker who earns so much should pontificate about mass immigration and want see social housing going to illegal migrants rather than poor and deserving citizens in this country. Let them eat crisps, seems to be the message from on high. . And to think we pay them this much to preach EU and Left Wing propaganda at us..... Time to stop paying them !!

Don't blame Lineker.  It is Rupert Murdoch's fault.  If BT were not trying to compete with Sky Sport they would not have tried to poach Lineker.

The BBC and the license fee are the only things between us and round the clock bollocks. I have not watched anything on ITV for years.
    I cannot understand why the Sky subscription is so expensive and they still show advertisements.  

They are underpaid compared to footballers. That is Murdoch's fault as well.

If the BBC is going to hell it is because Richard Dawkins is Chief Operating Officer

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The BBC's on the wrong side of technology and unfortunately it is run by liberal idiots who can't see the writing on the wall.  In 20 years time the BBC won't exist as young people don't buy TV Licences as they don't watch the BBC. Neither of my sons have a TV licence. They are the Netflix generation.  The BBC needs to embrace change and face up to the fact that people consume media via the net. The iPlayer app is the future of the BBC with a subscription.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Fretwired said:
    The BBC's on the wrong side of technology and unfortunately it is run by liberal idiots who can't see the writing on the wall.  In 20 years time the BBC won't exist as young people don't buy TV Licences as they don't watch the BBC. Neither of my sons have a TV licence. They are the Netflix generation.  The BBC needs to embrace change and face up to the fact that people consume media via the net. The iPlayer app is the future of the BBC with a subscription.
    How do they watch it without a licence??
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Fretwired said:
    Currently you don't need a TV license if you don't receive TV signals to your TV.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence

You don’t need a TV Licence if you:

• never watch or record programmes on any channel as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and
    • never download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.

This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

Fret is absolutely right. The Netflix generation (ugh) of which I am a part does not watch the BBC. We've not had a TV license since 2006.
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Fretwired said:

You don't need a license if you don't have a telly or stream live broadcast TV on a computer or use iPlayer.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Fretwired said:
    I disagree with your first statement here, I don't think the BBC are on the wrong side of technology. Whatever about the stars pay and the license fee the BBC has been paving the way technology wise. I don't have time to do proper research right now so call me out where I'm wrong but if I recall BBC iPlayer was ahead of it's time in the UK and one of, if not the first TV streaming services here. BBC 3 has moved digital only. The BBC were quick to adopt digital radio and freeview, they also have a massive amount of youth content still. In 20 years time the BBC will exist just fine, it will probably have to overhaul it's funding model a bit but that's par for the course, I'm sure even they're aware of that and are looking into monetizing iPlayer for foreign markets (if it isn't already!), but it can't have it's entire focus on young viewers. Old foggies like 37 year old me still sit down and watch terrestrial TV as well as consuming youtube/netflix/prime etc. They have to cater for all markets.

Apart from that ... Bloody Gary Linekers pay, disgraceful ;)
    The biggest pigs in the BBC trough are still the BBC1&2 folks. All other areas are still considered to be inferior or newbies, and any new technologies are seen as petty distractions to the mighty BBC1&2.
    The BBC has become Sky in its attitudes - see the way that EVERY week there is a puff story advert for Victoria Derbyshire show, dressed up as 'front page' news. Plus plenty of other fake 'news' that is really just an advert for a BBC programme that needs a boost.

Today's puff story is yet more unsubstantiated rubbish, portrayed as real news.
    Apology demanded after airport terror stop for reading Syrian book - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40668083
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Fretwired said:
    Currently you don't need a TV license if you don't receive TV signals to your TV.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence

• never watch or record programmes on any channel as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and
    • never download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.

This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

Fret is absolutely right. The Netflix generation (ugh) of which I am a part does not watch the BBC. We've not had a TV license since 2006.
    Cheers dude, I was under the impression if your device was 'capable' of receiving live broadcast BBC or iplayer you had to have a licence. 

So so how does that work in practice?
    I declare no license needed, as I only watch Netflix Amazon etc. 
    Now I get a visit and the guy switches in Iplayer which is part of my Settop box. 

Does me saying "I never watch it" a credible defence? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    edited July 2017

Now I get a visit and the guy switches in Iplayer which is part of my Settop box. 

The guy has to pay your TV licence for you.

Maybe.

Possibly.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Fretwired said:

Cheers dude, I was under the impression if your device was 'capable' of receiving live broadcast BBC or iplayer you had to have a licence. 

As iPlayer is web based, I'm sure they will have the IP addresses of where it is being accessed from.  If they don't have yours then I would imagine that there would be very little they could do.

I don't know if anyone goes to the trouble of watching it via VPN.

They would be better off getting rid of the license fee idiocy and funding it via a government grant.  They would save tens of millions (at least) on all the admin and enforcement.  Bring the income tax thresholds down a bit to compensate and it would make life easier for everyone.  It would also help the poorest who don't pay tax.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    crunchman said:
    They would be better off getting rid of the license fee idiocy and funding it via a government grant.  They would save tens of millions (at least) on all the admin and enforcement.
    This might actually be a good idea. It'd also stop All-Radio Cheapskates like me from getting out of paying!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I want to use this thread to launch into a rant about Michael MacIntyre, but I really have got better things to do.