BBC salaries published. Oh dear...

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited July 2017
    eSully said:
    Fretwired said:
    The BBC's on the wrong side of technology and unfortunately it is run by liberal idiots who can't see the writing on the wall.  In 20 years time the BBC won't exist as young people don't buy TV Licences as they don't watch the BBC. Neither of my sons have a TV licence. They are the Netflix generation.  The BBC needs to embrace change and face up to the fact that people consume media via the net. The iPlayer app is the future of the BBC with a subscription.
    I disagree with your first statement here, I don't think the BBC are on the wrong side of technology.
    The BBC have admitted as much. iPlayer is little more than a catch-up TV service. They launched the BBC Store in 2012 which allowed people to buy and download programmes from the BBC archives. It's been a total failure and the BBC has lost a lot of money and has decided to close it. People are buying streaming services like Netflix which has loads of content for a flat fee. The BBC is expensive, out of touch and makes poor TV drama. There's nothing to compete with the best of US TV and when Ripper Street returned (due to a hook up with Netflix which put in a new writing team and and more money) the programme was unrecognisable from the poor BBC version.

The BBC needs to change and improve the quality of what it offers or its finished.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I want to use this thread to launch into a rant about Michael MacIntyre, but I really have got better things to do.
    Such as??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I want to use this thread to launch into a rant about Michael MacIntyre, but I really have got better things to do.
    Such as??
    Attend a wedding that I have get totally destroyed at.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Question - did the published list show job types and hours worked???
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Nope just job titles. It's already causing unrest and anxiety at the Beeb though. 
    The BBC's answer to the the pay gap .. replace expensive men with women ... you couldn't make this up. Maybe if the BBC only employs women the problem will go away ... I shan't be renewing my TV licence .. the BBC makes shite TV these days ..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/23/exclusive-bbc-plans-shunt-male-stars-shows-close-gender-pay/

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Evilmags said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Nope just job titles. It's already causing unrest and anxiety at the Beeb though. 
    Then the whole thing is fucking stupid. Someone doing 50 hours should get more than someone doing 35, and someone in front of the camera should get more than someone behind.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Evilmags said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Then the whole thing is fucking stupid. Someone doing 50 hours should get more than someone doing 35, and someone in front of the camera should get more than someone behind.
    Nah nuance is such a patriarchal concept.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Evilmags said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Thing is none knows. The stuff they sell and make money on is easy to attach a value to. The rest of it is an unknown quantity. How much it is worth is speculative at best. How much would songs of praise earn on a commercial channel? 

Do people with proper Internet connections and a cable TV service watch it at all?
    Evilmags said:

Thing is none knows. The stuff they sell and make money on is easy to attach a value to. The rest of it is an unknown quantity. How much it is worth is speculative at best. How much would songs of praise earn on a commercial channel? 

Do people with proper Internet connections and a cable TV service watch it at all?
    The BBC should publish what they make from the sale of programmes and the ratings.  For example, the Graham Norton show gets sold to other countries and generates revenue. The Hollywood A-listers he gets on his show like him and his show gets high ratings. Therefore it can be argued that Norton is worth £850K. The same with Doctor Who - sold worldwide and generates additional income through the sale of merchandise.

However, its hard to justify a high salary to Emily Maitliss and co as Newsnight's ratings have fallen and not that many people watch it.

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    Fretwired said:
    Evilmags said:

The BBC should publish what they make from the sale of programmes and the ratings.  For example, the Graham Norton show gets sold to other countries and generates revenue. The Hollywood A-listers he gets on his show like him and his show gets high ratings. Therefore it can be argued that Norton is worth £850K. The same with Doctor Who - sold worldwide and generates additional income through the sale of merchandise.

However, its hard to justify a high salary to Emily Maitliss and co as Newsnight's ratings have fallen and not that many people watch it.

Do the BBC actually earn money from things like Graham Norton? I thought that Graham Norton's production company made it and sold it to the BBC, and then also sold it to other countries - so the production company earning the money rather than the BBC? Does anyone know for certain how it works?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    BigMonka said:
    Fretwired said:
    Evilmags said:

Do the BBC actually earn money from things like Graham Norton? I thought that Graham Norton's production company made it and sold it to the BBC, and then also sold it to other countries - so the production company earning the money rather than the BBC? Does anyone know for certain how it works?
    BBC makes money from the Graham Norton show .. his 'production company' is merely being tax efficient.

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    The public wants what the public gets.

People watch garbage such as the Graham Norton Show and so he gets paid a lot.

People will complain about salaries but still watch this stuff.
    mellowsun said:
    The public wants what the public gets.

People watch garbage such as the Graham Norton Show and so he gets paid a lot.

People will complain about salaries but still watch this stuff.
    Not sure that's right - Clarkson and co earned millions on Top Gear but they owned the production company and Top Gear earned the BBC zillions, so people understood the pay. Norton is probably worth his £850K, but I really don't get Lineker's £1.7 million.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    I'm waiting for the day when the Beeb fills every representation criterion that the massed ranks of Tristrams and guardianistas deem to be politically acceptable, only for someone to do a double-take and say "hang on a minute, our prgorammes are absolute shit" and be shouted down.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    All the journalists earning 6 figures salaries are overpaid. None of them should earn enough to be on the "list" when their job description is mostly "read autocue".
    With regards to the entertainers if the bring the money in then they should be rewarded.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited July 2017
    scrumhalf said:
    I'm waiting for the day when the Beeb fills every representation criterion that the massed ranks of Tristrams and guardianistas deem to be politically acceptable, only for someone to do a double-take and say "hang on a minute, our prgorammes are absolute shit" and be shouted down.

Anyone else catch the irony there?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I don't get what people are up in arms about.

Some people are more talented than others. Some people generate more viewers and profits than others.

People saying everyone should all be paid the same are deluded idiots probably working in a shit role with poor pay.
  • I think they need to be very, very careful about comparing like - for - like. 

10 years on eastenders male vs 10 years on eastenders female - what is the difference, and do they otherwise work the same? If so, the difference should be small. 

Comparing claudia winkleman to graham norton doesn't make as much sense as, although the roles are similar, the output and responsibility is very different (longer chats with a list celebs vs... Strictly?). Strictly is a successful show and she is paid very well for co-presenting it. 

I don't really get Gary L though. Perhaps he does more than I realise. 
    I think they need to be very, very careful about comparing like - for - like. 

10 years on eastenders male vs 10 years on eastenders female - what is the difference, and do they otherwise work the same? If so, the difference should be small. 

Comparing claudia winkleman to graham norton doesn't make as much sense as, although the roles are similar, the output and responsibility is very different (longer chats with a list celebs vs... Strictly?). Strictly is a successful show and she is paid very well for co-presenting it. 

I don't really get Gary L though. Perhaps he does more than I realise. 
    Although Winkleman does a few BBC shows - Film, the Great British sewing bee, Strictly come dancing and the Makeover show - so on a work rate basic she's probably value for money.