• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Norton also does the Eurovision Song Contest
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Norton also does the Eurovision Song Contest

And of course we all watch that one!

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    Do the female workers think suddenly they will all get a payrise? All that's going to happen, if anything, is the men will be offered less at the next contract renewal. The women won't get more, the men will get less. The women won't be any better off except for some untangiable moral victory that they can't cash in at the bank.

Add to that the fact that the current higher earners will turn down lower-paid contracts (would YOU take a pay cut ?) and the BBC will lose them to other companies, and all you actually get in the end is women earning the same as before and the higher-earning men replaced with less in-demand (and therefore possibly (but not necessarily) lesser) talent.

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

I don't really get Gary L though. Perhaps he does more than I realise. 

I was thinking about the Garly L thing and I realised - this is the BBC. How many ex-England players can talk, read an autocue and don't have a history of... well, you know, all those salacious and sensational things that footballers do off the pitch?

Maybe that's why the Beeb feel so desperate to retain him.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Apparently Radio 1 has to play as many tracks with female lead vocals as it does with male vocals, and the Radio 4 men and women are going to be paid the same amount per word spoken on air, so their scripts have to be carefully measured to be exactly the same number of words.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited July 2017
    The BBC mobile website front page has three puff stories (trade term for vacuous waffle to get publicity) that are really adverts on its front page right now. One is an advert for the Overwatch game, one is an advert for Kate Spade handbags, and one is an advert for Lana Del Ray's new album.

And people wonder where fake news started....
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22135
    edited July 2017
    scrumhalf said:
    I'm waiting for the day when the Beeb fills every representation criterion that the massed ranks of Tristrams and guardianistas deem to be politically acceptable, only for someone to do a double-take and say "hang on a minute, our prgorammes are absolute shit" and be shouted down.

You might want to look at the Sky recruitment policy then. It certainly isn't only the BBC doing this and it wasn't the BBC who was first to do this. 

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    scrumhalf said:
    I'm waiting for the day when the Beeb fills every representation criterion that the massed ranks of Tristrams and guardianistas deem to be politically acceptable, only for someone to do a double-take and say "hang on a minute, our prgorammes are absolute shit" and be shouted down.

You might want to look at the Sky recruitment policy then. It certainly isn't only the BBC doing this and it wasn't the BBC who was first to do this. 
    Did what?
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Sky is not funded through coercive action, the BBC is. People who don't agree with the BBC's editorial stance should not be forced to fund it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Ravenous said:

I don't really get Gary L though. Perhaps he does more than I realise. 

I was thinking about the Garly L thing and I realised - this is the BBC. How many ex-England players can talk, read an autocue and don't have a history of... well, you know, all those salacious and sensational things that footballers do off the pitch?

Maybe that's why the Beeb feel so desperate to retain him.

What you mean the guy who dumped his wife and kids and run off with a younger woman with whom he'd been having an affair, subsequently married and divorced her whilst having a fling with another woman and then gets her pregnant .. no wonder he needs £1.7 million a year.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    I'm sure he didn't go into negotiations with the Beeb holding a gun to their heads unless he got what he wanted.

Someone at the Beeb (and, in all likelihood, several people along a managerial chain) approved of the offer to  him. I'm more hacked off that these Beeboids can throw licence payers' money around with impunity.
    Fretwired said:
    What you mean the guy who dumped his wife and kids and run off with a younger woman with whom he'd been having an affair, subsequently married and divorced her whilst having a fling with another woman and then gets her pregnant .. no wonder he needs £1.7 million a year.
    Hmm I didn't know all that - but I'll admit I don't follow this stuff and am a little out of touch. (My comments were based on the "Goody two-shoes" image of him that was portrayed when he retired from playing.)
  • Fretwired said:

Wow. A whole lot of holier than thou going on there. 
    Fretwired said:

To be fair I think he was just pointing out my theory was flawed. (Which it must be, I assumed they hired him because he used to have a name for being one of the nicer boys.)
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Well I don't remember him getting in to trouble for drink or drugs so in BBC terms that makes him ok.
  • Ravenous said:
    Fretwired said:

To be fair I think he was just pointing out my theory was flawed. (Which it must be, I assumed they hired him because he used to have a name for being one of the nicer boys.)
    The thing is, he still is one of the nicer boys. He may not be the nicest, but I believe him to be far from the worst. 
  • Of course he's no Adrian Chiles.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22844
    Fretwired said:

Hang on, hang on... I thought I kept up with trashy tabloid gossip but you've lost me there.

Who's the third woman and are you saying he's got her pregnant, or that he's got wife no.2 (Danielle Bux) pregnant, despite having split with her a while ago, supposedly because he didn't want more kids?  I know Ms Bux is currently expecting.

Of course he's no Adrian Chiles.

The nicest boy of them all! When he used to present the lunch business news my Mum liked him!

I used to wish he'd front a metal band. :)

• Ravenous said:
    Of course he's no Adrian Chiles.

The nicest boy of them all! When he used to present the lunch business news my Mum liked him!

I used to wish he'd front a rap-metal band. :)

FTFY