Music films

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Also the Punk Singer is pretty great - about Kathleen Hanna from Bikini Kill
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    [have reached low point of holiday and found 3G]

Frank
    Blues Brothers
    Commitments
    That Thing You Do
    Amy 
    O Brother Where Art Thou ( does it count?)
    Twisted F*****g Sister
    Whiplash
    The Harder They Come
    Psycho Beach Party ( mebbe just the soundtrack)
    Dusk till Dawn ( I don't really like it but maybe best ever soundtrack and there are some guitars)
    Ladykillers ( the remake, yes it's terrible but it's sort of about musicians and the instruments were all made by Danny Ferrington, get it on dvd and just watch the bonus documentary)
    Deep Blues ( if they could do an edit where Dave Stewart isn't in it might be the perfect documentary)
    Crossroads 
    Purple Rain ( like Crossroads you're there for the set pieces rather than the whole film)

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    Nitefly said:
    No love for Easy Rider?  It was the first "music film" I ever saw, in some fleapit in Glasgow one rainy Saturday afternoon.

It was great - I stayed and watched it all the way through a second time.
    Classic..... It's more of a road movie with a great soundtrack I guess though? 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    The Wall

Live at Pompeii

The Song Remains The Same
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22931

Ladykillers ( the remake, yes it's terrible but it's sort of about musicians and the instruments were all made by Danny Ferrington, get it on dvd and just watch the bonus documentary)

I hate the film, even though I love the Coen Brothers.  I think it's the only one of their films I don't own on DVD and/or Blu-ray (and it might be the only one not available on Blu-ray).  And now you've given me a reason to want to watch the DVD, y'bastid.

Oh, has anyone in the thread mentioned Inside Llewyn Davis?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920

The Harder They Come

Is that the Jimmy Cliff one?  I was thinking of it earlier, but couldn't remember what it was called.

And yes, @Budgie you're right about it being more a road movie, but it was an absolutely brilliant sound-track!

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    edited August 2017
    proggy said:

Live at Pompeii

If you get this, don't bother with the director's cut which is rubbish (and that's being kind). Go through the menus and find the original film which is far better.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Nitefly said:

The Harder They Come

Is that the Jimmy Cliff one?  I was thinking of it earlier, but couldn't remember what it was called.

And yes, @Budgie you're right about it being more a road movie, but it was an absolutely brilliant sound-track!

The Jimmy Cliff one. IIRC it has subtitles in parts which seem innapropriate now ( I guess we've come to understand Jamaican accents in the last forty years). 

Have we had Quadrophenia and Tommy yet? Severely flawed (Sting for starters) but both worth a watch. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 984
    Philly_Q said:

I hate the film, even though I love the Coen Brothers.  I think it's the only one of their films I don't own on DVD and/or Blu-ray (and it might be the only one not available on Blu-ray).  And now you've given me a reason to want to watch the DVD, y'bastid.

Oh, has anyone in the thread mentioned Inside Llewyn Davis?

@Philly_Q  I forgot about that one, saw it when it came out & really enjoyed it.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067

Heavy Metal: Louder Than Life.

Only because I'm in the credits.