Lifelong Metallica fan, should I spend the £120 to see them at the O2?

What's Hot

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3905
    Yes. Life is about experiences and if they're one of your favourite bands, you'll regret it if you never see them live. Do it.

Ticket prices are outrageous now, but they've got to make money somehow, now that we're all using streaming services / downloading cheap music, rather than buying CDs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well after consideration I decided to go for it in the end - I've got a habit of convincing myself that these things 'won't be worth it' - I had tickets to a Nita Strauss guitar clinic but it was about an hour away and I decided it was going to be crap and didn't go. I'm kicking myself for that, let alone a chance to see Metallica live. 

Honestly though, I think this will be the only time, with the acceptance that the money spent over the odds on a ticket is hedging against seeing them again in future. (i.e. I bought tickets to see Red Fang a second time, because they were £20 each - but I won't be doing that with Metallica).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    Good for you - I hope you have a ripping good time \../
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Pearl Jam 2014 £64
    Pearl Jam 2017 £135 

That's inflation for you! Feel your pain but if you've not seen them, do it! 

You bastard I thought PJ were on tour then 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    You can get the same effect much cheaper. At night time, stick a Metallica video on and cart the TV down to the bottom of the garden. Watch it from the house but turn the volume to max so it distorts and sounds mushy. Hire three people for two hours, one to sit exactly in front of you and the other two to talk incessantly right behind you. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 260
    Good call, you won't regret it especially if you haven't seen them before. I've seen them a few times and it's always an event. They might be mid 50's now but they can still put on a show. I'm seeing them in October in Birmingham.

As someone said you never know when the last time round is, i never saw Motorhead, always put it off.... Regret that now. Same with Soundgarden. My attitude now is just go.
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 294
    They are very polished live. I've seen them a number of times over the years, and always enjoyed it. Hope you have fun.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    @BloodEagle  it looks like a £25 mark-up from a reseller, sold out on ticketmaster/etc.
    Then no.

If you want this sort of thing to stop, don't give the profiteers your money.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5022
    Last few times I saw Metallica, it was free, free £5 and free. 

I also saw them 88, 90, 91. I'm not sure they are worth the big bucks. I spent that for Maiden but Metallica are not quite the force they were. 
  • I saw them on the Black Album tour and they were bloody brilliant. But I remember feeling that the best member of the band, the one with the most rapport with the audience was Jason.  He's long gone sadly. I don't think Lars/James realised how much they lost when Jason left.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If you can afford it, you go...  

Although I don't condone the cost or use of touts.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    If you can afford the £120 then go ... a memory that will last a lifetime. Glad I saw Led Zep and that was expensive as I was a student in the 70s.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    ICBM said:
    @BloodEagle  it looks like a £25 mark-up from a reseller, sold out on ticketmaster/etc.
    Then no.

Pretty much this. 

I saw Metallica at Monsters of Rock in 1985, they might have changed a bit since then though. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24659
    I saw them in the 1990s a couple of times, then at their Big Day Out.

Height of their powers.

They are not quite the same these days, but if you haven't seen them, do go. Hetfield is a machine, even with the miles he has on the clock now.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    I saw them in 1990. What a great gig it was too - right down the front in front of Kirk. Complete bedlam in the mosh, sweat and hair all over the shop. I'm glad you're going!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    ICBM said:
    Then no.

Pretty much this. 

I saw Metallica at Monsters of Rock in 1985, they might have changed a bit since then though.

The bassist certainly has :(
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    I saw them on the St Anger tour. I'm glad I went to see them but I wouldn't do it again. 

Bands like Kreator and Testament can still give off that same level of intensity as they did years ago and their ticket prices are reasonable.

But then I haven't been to a gig in a couple of years now, can't be arsed to pay expensive ticket prices, the expensive train fares and expensive food and drinks.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Strangefan said: not
    ICBM said:
    WilliamAyerst said: ki
    Then no.

Pretty much this. 

The bassist certainly has :(

Ahhh :anguished: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24659
    I've only seen them with Jason.

As much as Cliff is a massive influence on me, Jason was the better fit. I haven't decided where I place RT yet. He's an amazing player too.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2017
    They're live streaming their gig tonight (final US/Canada show of the tour).

3:45am for the UK.