I've decided to quit being a mod..

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yeah the quote system is whack.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24306
    Not on a phone you can't... I can't ctrl-z and the </> button doesn't get drawn on a phone.  It appears on my larger screened iPad but 'word wrapped' down to the next line, but on a phone - nada.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26583
    Emp_Fab said:
    Please @digitalscream Lee...  Can't we replace it with something else?  You quote someone and then start typing and as soon as you hit the space bar you're inside their quote and you can't escape! 
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Yeah the quote system is whack.

Will you two please stop agreeing with each other? It's creepy.

Dunno what the problem is - honestly, it's always worked absolutely perfectly for me and I've never been able to reproduce problems (bar the YouTube embedding issue). As I said, you can always use the undo function in your browser to get back to wherever you were.

Replacing an editor is a big undertaking. We've tried four so far, and they've all had problems that were far worse than the issues with this one.

Writing our own is simply not an option. These things are made of significant amounts of code, to cope with the myriad browsers around.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    Not on a phone you can't... I can't ctrl-z and the </> button doesn't get drawn on a phone.  It appears on my larger screened iPad but 'word wrapped' down to the next line, but on a phone - nada.
    http://gadgetguideonline.com/android/android-marshmallow-guide/how-to-use-redo-and-undo-features-in-android-marshmallow/

Might help. I'm going to try Hacker's Keyboard later.
    <space for hire>
    No... No you can't use the undo feature... The evil editor ignores this and keeps all the shitty tags it's added.  It's EVIL.  The smileys are screwed, the quote system is screwed and god help you if you try to put anything in italics.  It's getting to the point where I'm considering typing my posts on another forum and just leaving a URL here!
    Emp_Fab said:
    No... No you can't use the undo feature... The evil editor ignores this and keeps all the shitty tags it's added.  It's EVIL.  The smileys are screwed, the quote system is screwed and god help you if you try to put anything in italics.  It's getting to the point where I'm considering typing my posts on another forum and just leaving a URL here!
    How do you know it ignores it if you can't use the undo because you don't have the shortcuts?
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28206
    I like the editor. Its

quirks make for interesting posts.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    Emp_Fab said:
    Huh ? :s
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Emp_Fab said:
    @Bridgehouse You could argue that if a forum sets itself up with a code of conduct and a mod team to enforce that code, then it's quite acceptable for the user base to call out a mod whose own posting behavior contradicts, or gets close to the edge of the code of conduct. I don't think it's ridiculous or laughable to expect a mod to follow the rules.

Personally, I am amazed that anyone ever takes on the task of being a mod, it seems like quite a thankless one. I know I'd much rather be playing the guitar...

See, now I agree with you here...  A mod, IMO, should be expected to behave according to the exact same rules that the other members are.  I don't believe they should be expected to adhere to some unspecified higher standard of behaviour.  Not least because it's unspecified and therefore open to accusations of failing to meet the (unknown) personal standards of the accuser!  You can never win trying to comply with unspecified rules!

More importantly though, I don't believe a mod should be denied the same right of free speech that everyone else has.  I'm not (was not) just a "mod", I'm ME... warts n' all, who just happens to help delete spam, ban spammers, move posts to the correct place, etc etc.  If doing that means I can't be me, then fuck that for a game of soldiers!

With that in mind, I don't believe I've ever breached the rules of this place. "Coming close to the edge" is bollocks - that's just arbitrarily blurring the rules so they fit with the accuser's unspecified standards thing again.  You either break the rules, or you don't break the rules.  Anything you say or do that does not break the rules is fine as far as I'm concerned.

It pissed me off that some people, usually those I was disagreeing with over something, would play the 'mod standard' card, usually when their argument had fallen apart.  There IS no 'mod standard' except the arbitrary one in the accuser's head...  but... if you say something often enough, people will eventually begin to believe it.

Anyhow...  let's just move on now.  It's a non-event on a little forum on the internet that's moving at 900 miles an hour, that's orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it's reckoned, a sun that is the source of all our power. The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see are moving at a million miles a day, in an outer spiral arm, at 40,000 miles an hour, of a galaxy we call the Milky Way.

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars
    It's a hundred thousand light-years side to side
    It bulges in the middle sixteen thousand light-years thick
    But out by us it's just three thousand light-years wide.

We're thirty thousand light-years from Galactic Central Point
    We go 'round every two hundred million years
    And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
    In this amazing and expaaaanding universe.

Our universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
    In all of the directions it can whiz
    As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know
    Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is.
    So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure
    How amazingly unlikely is your birth
    And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space
    'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
    Nurse, he needs medicating!!!

:grin:

Whether we've agreed or not modly duties are thankless. Do you still hat chavs though?

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    This is great!

Emp bails on being a mod, and we're already four pages in!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Does this mean no more Mr Nice Guy? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    This is great!

Next up Emp is going to create a thread entitled "I've decided to quit the UK" and he will detail his plans on how he's moving to another country because of Brexit.  It will reach 40 pages plus.  
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    This is great!

Next up Emp is going to create a thread entitled "I've decided to quit the UK" and he will detail his plans on how he's moving to another country because of Brexit.  It will reach 40 pages plus.  

Oh and don't forget that it's not his fault...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72342
    Emp_Fab said:
    The editor is a pain in the bum on a phone, certainly. It's bad enough that the reason for some of the occasional very-late-to-the-party posts I make is because I get so bogged down trying to fix some sort of screw-up on the phone, that it's easier to just leave it as a draft until I'm near my computer later and sort out the mess then.

First world problems… :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Right, since we're now totally off-topic...

Y'all were asked to help us test the new version of the forum software. Let this be a lesson to you. Actually, for some of you it's the third lesson of exactly the same sort, 'cos no matter how many times we ask people to help us test the editor we get three people who only test it on their computer and then 20 more people after it's gone live who didn't join in but want to complain anyway ;)
    <space for hire>
  • When was this test period?  I don't remember it.

(this probably also means I posted in it)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72342
    I'm not complaining… much :). It's fine, really - just that it could be finer ;).

It's certainly a lot better than the previous version, anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Right, since we're now totally off-topic...

Y'all were asked to help us test the new version of the forum software. Let this be a lesson to you. Actually, for some of you it's the third lesson of exactly the same sort, 'cos no matter how many times we ask people to help us test the editor we get three people who only test it on their computer and then 20 more people after it's gone live who didn't join in but want to complain anyway ;)
    Get a QA team!
    bingefeller said: no
    This is great!

Oh.  Right... Everyone shut up.  Bingefeller has decreed that talking is forbidden. (Insert broken smiley)

Anyway, I voted FOR brexit.  I regret it now mind, so whatever happens, it's probably my fault.

Oh...sorry... No talking!
    OH!  I'm a little teapot, short and stout, here's my handle, here's my.... Oh.. Shit.  I'm a sugar bowl.