what guitar will make me happy?

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
I love the tone and sound of my LP.  But i've been playing an HSS strat a lot and learning to play proper music - so scale practice, legato and arpeggio practice and the strat is soo much easier to play.

what would be marvellous would be an HSH or maybe HH guitar, with a trem. 22 frets, good access to the dusty end with the playability of this neck - http://www.mightymite.com/mm2925----p-77.html (as i've got a highly polished and finished one on my strat and it's wonderful) but with the creamy and flutey sounds of my lester

what do you recon.  it's the neck that makes the strat play so well.

it it impossible - and therefore I should just get a donor strat, swap the pups to hsh and buy another neck and shuddap.  or do we suggest one of the PRS  or are there other guitars out there?

budget - it depends.  if I sold a few bits i'd have £500 immediately.  If i had a mad moment I could flog the yamaha sa2200 which would release another £1K ish but then i'd regret selling the yam one day!

thoughts?  options?  remember it's all in the neck but with the LP sounds and good top access

ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Do you have a preference for scale length? (I'm assuming your strat is typical 25.5 inch, i.e. longer than the Les Paul.)

I ask because many people here will probably have suggestions for both cases.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7801
    A PRS custom 24 is worth trying in person, good upper fret access, a trem and two humbuckers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    edited August 2017
    A PRS custom 24 is worth trying in person, good upper fret access, a trem and two humbuckers.
    OP said 22 frets.  Might not be a problem for some but I really don't like 24 frets.

Custom 22 or DGT would be worth a look, but they might not have the same neck profile.  I think the DGT is a better guitar, and I prefer the neck on it as well, but if you did want something shallower you would be able to get a wide-thin neck (or whatever they call it these days) as an additional option on the Custom 22.

Edit:  Just realised that a full fat US Core line PRS would break the budget in the original post.  The S2 series are really good guitars so that might be a better option.  I actually prefer some of the S2 guitars to a lot of more expensive PRS guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14573
    nickp said:
    I love the tone and sound of my LP ...  but the strat is soo much easier to play.
    This needs clarifying. What is it about the Stratocaster that makes it easier for you? The neck profile? The neck to body joint? The body's comfort contouring? The control layout?

In my opinion, a Stratocaster-type electric guitar will not deliver the exact sounds of a Gibson LP and vice versa. 

If money is a problem, you could probably get more sonic variety from your existing guitars by modifying their control wiring. 

I advise against selling the Yamaha SA2200.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    No guitar will make you happy. Happiness comes from within.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8004
    edited August 2017
    A Gretsch Corvette (CVT).  Excellent pickups, best upper neck access on any Gretsch, it's got a Bigsby!!!
    Thin, light, sounds great.  The standard two pickup version can be had used for £300.  Cheap as chips (if you can find one). 
    Avoid the bolt neck three pickup version, as it's a budget variant, and sucks ass.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How about an SG? HH with good upper fret access, reasonable prices and lots of different necks to choose from.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    edited August 2017

This? The Korina body, maple cap would add a little Gibson to the SuperStrat formula.

https://www.guitar.co.uk/reverend-gil-parris-signature-coffee-burst-flame-maple

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    my nipper has a prs se 24 with a couple of Oil City pups and it's quite snappy and bright compared to the lester
    dindude said:

This? The Korina body, maple cap would add a little Gibson to the SuperStrat formula.

https://www.guitar.co.uk/reverend-gil-parris-signature-coffee-burst-flame-maple

ooh.  worth a look.  bloody glasgow!  :)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24625
    Ibanez RG
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2017
    nickp said:
    I love the tone and sound of my LP ...  but the strat is soo much easier to play.
    This needs clarifying. What is it about the Stratocaster that makes it easier for you? The neck profile? The neck to body joint? The body's comfort contouring? The control layout?

In my opinion, a Stratocaster-type electric guitar will not deliver the exact sounds of a Gibson LP and vice versa. 

If money is a problem, you could probably get more sonic variety from your existing guitars by modifying their control wiring. 

I advise against selling the Yamaha SA2200.

the good things about the strat - neck profile (ie full fat C shape) plus the better access to the toppier frets - albeit admittedly not as good as the prs.  plus i like a trem.  in fact it's THAT neck - i've tried modern C and they are too thin.  the gibbo neck is confortable and good for blues widdling but not as fast or as smooth as the strat.

I guess it's the scale length as much as anything else that makes the strat sound spankier than the lester.  I agree about the Yamaha - it'll be the brian may to go first plus a few pedals :)
    Ibanez RG

aren't the necks super flat n skinny?   I tried some in a shop once and they seemed really thin.  the full fat C has some bulk about it without being too fat.

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Depends on budget - as above - Ibanez RG is a great bet (like the one I'm selling :) )

More money, one word - Feline.

I have a Feline Panther with the most amazing, easy to use pickup switching - I can get really close to strat, SG and widdlefest very easily

peteri said:

Depends on budget - as above - Ibanez RG is a great bet (like the one I'm selling :) )

More money, one word - Feline.

I have a Feline Panther with the most amazing, easy to use pickup switching - I can get really close to strat, SG and widdlefest very easily

I'd love one :)
  • Fender Blacktop Stratocaster. They're about £300 second hand. Great things. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited August 2017
    I just got a LP DC Jr in TV Yellow  and that is making me happy in my pants as we speak! Pics to follow....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    nickp said:
    @TTony  - just pm sent about JJ guitars as a couple have popped up on ebay and they look like they might be near the mark

My friend Dave has a JJ loaded with a pair of Oil City Blitz Spirits and a JJ Freeway six way switch that he's looking to sell, should I put you in touch ?
    DrBob said:
    nickp said:
    @TTony  - just pm sent about JJ guitars as a couple have popped up on ebay and they look like they might be near the mark

My friend Dave has a JJ loaded with a pair of Oil City Blitz Spirits and a JJ Freeway six way switch that he's looking to sell, should I put you in touch ?
    why not?  thanks @DrBob !