Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you dress to impress?

What's Hot
Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
edited February 2014 in Live
When you and your bandidos are performing live, do you dress up for the occasion, or do you "jeans and t-shirt" it?

I'm not expecting this. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33858
    Jean and t-shirt IS dressing for the occasion.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited February 2014
    octatonic said:
    http://wendythomasrussell.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/original.jpg

"This is my position. I am not managing it with you or any other woman. Especially one who dresses like an Australian's nightmare. So .... you!"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 537
    Can't carry a wardrobe round to gigs but I do change to a snazzy T or polo for the gig.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • At christmas we were dressed as elves and reindeer. Weddings were shirts and ties etc. Pub gigs, whatever really

There wont be so much of that now as I have left the cover band. My original band has no theme or anything so most likely T shirts and jeans
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • At christmas we were dressed as elves and reindeer. 
    Pictures, or it didn't happen. :D
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3596
    If you look like you just walked in off the street, don't expect to be treated as anything other than something off the street.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Jeans and T-shirt for me... but they are sparkley and loud T-shirts. I've even got one which is in retrospect a bit like Insanity Wolf;

Other than that, when it's a gig on a heavy bill dressing up in anything other than what you'd normally wear feels a bit pretentious. On bills with indie bands though I occasionally like to wear my usual with a suit jacket.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33858
    octatonic said:
    http://wendythomasrussell.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/original.jpg

"This is my position. I am not managing it with you or any other woman. Especially one who dresses like an Australian's nightmare. So .... you!"
    Strewth, Crikey, etc.
  • Generally, no - I tend to dress in a "relaxed rock" kinda way. Of course, we don't have a particular image for the band yet, so I expect this to change at some point.

Even so, while I'll make an effort to be more in keeping with the band's image, I won't be going so far as to be termed "dressing up".
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

Isn't it the music that's the main thing?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Drew_fx said:

Yes, but we are visual creatures. People respond positively to image if you get it right, and then the music, which is indeed the main thing, has a fighting chance of being appreciated.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27350
    edited February 2014
    Always been in the "make an effort" camp in the bands I've played with. You get way more attention paid by the crowd if you look the part, and a much better result from the person paying the fee if it's a covers/functions thing.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8792
    edited February 2014
    For a pub gig we don waistcoats for a feeling of unity.  Dawn usually wears a tight fitting leather item.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Generally, no - I tend to dress in a "relaxed rock" kinda way. Of course, we don't have a particular image for the band yet, so I expect this to change at some point.

Please promise, no spandex....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2751
    Depends on the tpye of gig but usually wear something suitable - "rock" jeans and shirt/t shirt through to spandex wigs n make up :)

Daft or cool doesn't really matter to me but I prefer to see a band look like a band and getting changed puts me into "gig mood" and ready to perform...
  • @John_P and @Stickyfiddle IMO make great points.  If I just wanted to see some geezer playing guitar dressed in jeans and any old t-shirt, I'd get a mirror.

Also I think that @Roland has a really valid point about the waistcoats giving his band a sense of unity. It's kind of like a uniform or gang colours, something that you can look at an identify him as being an Urban Legend band member.

I also am tempted to believe that if you are in a good band you can kinda get away with wearing stuff you wouldn't wear down the High Street. For example, ladies and gentlemen, I give you Rocket From The Crypt.

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    edited February 2014
    I wear this t shirt to all our gigs (although it does get washed between them). It just saves time thinking about what to wear:
  • Dress for the occasion, Whatever look your band is gearing towards/acts as a visual aid to the music you are playing and your on-stage personality.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:

Don't let David Bowie hear you saying that
  • Charge an extra £50 a man for DJ's 

Corporates always Blacks

New duo called Lady and the Tramp so that might need some thinking about
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk