NGD: £5 Westone Thunder 1 Project (Pic Heavy!)

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033

Well, this is going to be a bit of a challenge...

Today's local charity shop find @ £5 - a rather water-damaged Westone Thunder 1 which has started to delaminate.

So far, I've got it home, stripped it down and am just weighing up what to do next...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    Steam it apart. Stain the individual sections of wood in garish colours. Glue and clamp it all back together. Hey, presto. Westone Zoot Suit model. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Harry what thread on here has photos of your guitar collection?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    edited August 2017
    underdog said:
    Errr...dunno now...it will have changed a fair bit since the G&B feature though...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    underdog said:
    Errr...dunno now...it will have changed a fair bit since the G&B feature though...

I'm off to find it, I need to show my wife :D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Great find @HarrySeven ;

It's started to delaminate due to water damage (left outside), so I'm wondering whether to go down the long and tricky route (steam the whole thing apart) and start reassembly with a load of bits or to look at something quick and dirty (wick adhestive into the gaps, clamp and cross fingers).

As it was outside for some time, I'm tempted to treat it with permethrin as a precaution...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    Ouch… that looks like it was largely being held together by the neck bolts, the string ferrule and the pickup surrounds! Although I saw the splits in the headstock, and thought "that's not bad, it will glue up easily" before I scrolled down :D.

It's going to be a difficult one to fix - if the wood has warped or shrunk it won't go back together properly even if you can force enough glue in, which is a challenge in itself. The best bet is probably to separate it properly, dress the faces back to straight and reglue. The thin walnut strips will need replacing. It's a huge job…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16794
    It's not that bad ;)

but yeah, what @ICBM said for the repair method.  The thin veneers can be sacrificial.

i saw it on rlthe other FB and wondered what had caused the delamination.  They are normally very stable!
    I should say, if it's been outside a long time just put it somewhere dry for the next year and forget about it.  

Well, 'twas only a fiver, so worth having a play with. :)

In person (so to speak), it's actually *quite* solid. However...how long it will stay that way is a different matter...

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    I used to own a Westone Thunder 1A bass in natural - which I bought when I got an early Tascam Portastudio. A period when I learned a lot about music - so I have a residual affection for all things Westone.

I hope we may see it back to its former glory in due course....

In person (so to speak), it's actually *quite* solid. However...how long it will stay that way is a different matter...

Definitely, but if there is any risidual damp it may make a quick fix a bad idea.  I would wait and do a permenat fix  once I know it's dry

my John Birch had water damage as well as  2 major splits in the body from an incident.  I suspect it was chucked in a shed or damp loft after the initial damage.  It reglued fine quite quickly.... but hiding the scar has been difficult due to the moisture fluctuations
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    underdog said:
    Harry ... photos of your guitar collection?
    Google is your friend. ;)
    it will have changed a fair bit since the G&B feature. 
    Schrödinger's Guitar Collection.

A warehouse in quantum superposition until it interacts with, or is observed by, the external world.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    I owned a Thunder 1 in the early 80s, loved that guitar and good luck with your project
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3409
    edited May 2019
    My first guitar teacher played one of these. Good luck!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I used to own a Westone Thunder 1A bass in natural - which I bought when I got an early Tascam Portastudio. A period when I learned a lot about music - so I have a residual affection for all things Westone.

I hope we may see it back to its former glory in due course....
    Wait... you owned a bass?

:O
    WezV said:

Definitely, but if there is any risidual damp it may make a quick fix a bad idea.  I would wait and do a permenat fix  once I know it's dry

my John Birch had water damage as well as  2 major splits in the body from an incident.  I suspect it was chucked in a shed or damp loft after the initial damage.  It reglued fine quite quickly.... but hiding the scar has been difficult due to the moisture fluctuations

Good point. Maybe do the permethrin thing, then leave it be for a while.

• SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Thread necromancy....
    Did you ever finish this H? 
    Yup, all lovely. :)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    Yup, all lovely. :)
    Pics please!!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein