NGD: £5 Westone Thunder 1 Project (Pic Heavy!)

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19021
    ICBM said:
    Yup, all lovely. :)
    Pics please!!
    +1   But possibly not quite as many  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Come on Harry, put the new toys down and get the old pics out! 
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    edited May 2019
    I’ve got to find the damn thing first! Errrr...it’s in a Hiscox case...along with at least another 50... :open_mouth: 

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019
    That'll be one hell of a big Hiscox. Should be easy enough to spot 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That'll be one hell of a big Hiscox. Should be easy enough to spot 
    Lol! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

I found a couple of pics once I'd completed it.

I didn't sand it too far, as I liked the patination. Pic was taken before I'd located a spare knob.

Plays great, sounds great.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    Great job.

If the wood grain didn't match I would have assumed you'd just bought another one :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited May 2019
    gotta be worth at least £5.50 now

(great work btw)

I found a couple of pics once I'd completed it.

I didn't sand it too far, as I liked the patination. Pic was taken before I'd located a spare knob.

Plays great, sounds great.
    Bloody hell, nice job. Was it a total delamination & re-glue job or a mega drop fill & clamp ?
    @Kittyfrisk - bit of both! ;)

Oooh, you little tease  :) !! 
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2327
    Thunders are brilliant, under-rated instruments. Really well built too. Any lesser brand would have completely died if left outside like that one.
    (Note to self - get a Thunder I again (or preferably a II if I can find one))
    Adey said:
    Thunders are brilliant, under-rated instruments. Really well built too. Any lesser brand would have completely died if left outside like that one.
    I love them dearly, but some of the insane prices I’ve seen recently (£350 for a Thunder 1A?!?!) seem overly excessive... :(

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    HarrySeven said:

I love them dearly, but some of the insane prices I’ve seen recently (£350 for a Thunder 1A?!?!) seem overly excessive... :(
    I think that would be reasonable for one in perfect condition, but that alone would make it a real rarity...

It's hard to get anything better for less really, but I think £150-£250 is probably more of the right range for ones in typical condition.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3091
    I still see the Thunder Jet model for very low prices <£100.  I guess the all black appearance puts many people off. I think they’re quite a bit lighter than the standard models being made out of alder (I think) rather than the sandwich of woods in the regular models.

I got mine for £40 and love it.  It’s paid for itself many times over now as it’s one of my most comfortable and decent sounding gigging guitars.
    I still see the Thunder Jet model for very low prices <£100.  I guess the all black appearance puts many people off. I think they’re quite a bit lighter than the standard models being made out of alder (I think) rather than the sandwich of woods in the regular models.

I got mine for £40 and love it.  It’s paid for itself many times over now as it’s one of my most comfortable and decent sounding gigging guitars.
    Yup - last one I bought was £25. They’re a really good sub-£100 guitar.

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    That's really awesome - well done.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    I still see the Thunder Jet model for very low prices <£100.  I guess the all black appearance puts many people off.
    The original natural finish guitars earned themselves a good reputation the hard way. Leaving the wood visible demonstrated that no ply has been involved in the making of those guitars. 

The opaque colours arrived partly in response to fashion and partly to grumbles that clear natural finish were a bit plain and boring.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Excellent job H!
    Pics of the repair process would have been nice, slacker ;) 
    Adey said:
    My blue refinished '81 1a is for sale ;)