Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

First of the Gibson 2018s??

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2609
edited August 2017 in Guitar tFB Trader

Happened to find this on the Andertons site.... Seems odd its the only one they have up but it is slightly different to the current model

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Les-Paul-Tribute.aspx

This one (apparently) has no weight relief and a slightly different pickup combo..

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/LPTR18LSGNH1/left-handed-electric-guitars/gibson-usa-2018-les-paul-tribute-in-satin-gold-left-handed

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Oooh, I'd been waiting for a new Les Paul.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader

Ohh and someone on the Gibson forum has (apparently) an 2018 SG Special with mini humbuckers..

http://i.imgur.com/ck0vGKC.jpg?1

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I'll wait for the 2019 Les Paul, which comes out at the end of November!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11759
    usedtobe said:
    Gibson are obviously learning from the magazine industry, because they are doing so well...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    I've no idea why Gibson restrict themselves with yearly models. Why not just keep most the same spec and update avert few years like they used to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Rabs said:

Ohh and someone on the Gibson forum has (apparently) an 2018 SG Special with mini humbuckers..

http://i.imgur.com/ck0vGKC.jpg?1

That actually looks really nice 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I expect Andertons might get a telling off if they release official specs too early...but yeah looks like the new models are rolling out.
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    @Rabs did they give a price for the SG? I want it so bad.
    Elwood said:
    I've no idea why Gibson restrict themselves with yearly models. Why not just keep most the same spec and update avert few years like they used to.
    Some people instantly trade in the old model for the new.  Plus dozens of videos and reviews of the new year's guitars...

Bear in mind as well, they presumably build in batches from mostly pre-CNC'd parts.  Therefore they get all the good publicity for the sake of changing some drawings.

The only negative side from a marketing point of view is old people (and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, least of all you Elwood) going "change for changes sake - humbug I tell you!" but those people tend to buy vintage stuff or custom shop anyhow, so are not affected.

Remember as well the huge majority of Gibson's customers in terms of individual guitar volume buy Epiphone - and these are kept very similar for years on end.

• ColsCols Frets: 7010
    usedtobe said:
    You might not have to wait that long; looking at the Tribute on Anderton's site, it says "This product is discontinued".
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Cols said:
    usedtobe said:
    You might not have to wait that long; looking at the Tribute on Anderton's site, it says "This company is discontinued".
    FTFY
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27004
    Elwood said:
    Some people instantly trade in the old model for the new.  Plus dozens of videos and reviews of the new year's guitars...

I don't believe people do that with guitars. Mobile phones, absolutely. Pedals and amps maybe, but not guitars.

(Except the handful of nutters who buy the latest CS Les Pauls "with even more accurate glue" and then still have them shipped off for vintage "conversion" to get them even more mojo than they already have which makes the players even better than Jeff Beck, right?)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Rabs said

Do left handed people also read backwards or have they just flipped the pic of a right handed one?  =)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Philtre said:
    Ooh, Gibson is stepping it up.  The fingerboard has been upgraded to "luxurious".  From "thicker".
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Wait for it.....

Slim Taper, Slim Taper, Slim Taper, Slim Taper, Slim Taper etc.............
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Elwood said:

I don't believe people do that with guitars. Mobile phones, absolutely. Pedals and amps maybe, but not guitars.

(Except the handful of nutters who buy the latest CS Les Pauls "with even more accurate glue" and then still have them shipped off for vintage "conversion" to get them even more mojo than they already have which makes the players even better than Jeff Beck, right?)
    I remember someone on the forum quite recently saying they had done it.  Surprised me too.

But Gibson don't make true historic LPs at 7k a pop because they are better musical instruments, they do it to make money out of successful professionals who like classic rock.  A diminishing breed now they are all old enough to have bad backs and weak fingers, part of the root cause of their financial problems.

Yes you are right it seems silly, its actually pretty silly with mobile phones but thats another topic.

As I keep commenting on these threads, the future is to drop the anti-far east prejudice and make most Gibsons out there.  Then they can keep a US manufacturing operation as a larger "Custom Shop".

If they made an LP to the current "standard" specs, but in the Far East, it would probably be better made, and come in at say £999 with a big profit.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    edited August 2017
    Elwood said:

I remember someone on the forum quite recently saying they had done it.  Surprised me too.

But Gibson don't make true historic LPs at 7k a pop because they are better musical instruments, they do it to make money out of successful professionals who like classic rock.  A diminishing breed now they are all old enough to have bad backs and weak fingers, part of the root cause of their financial problems.

Yes you are right it seems silly, its actually pretty silly with mobile phones but thats another topic.

As I keep commenting on these threads, the future is to drop the anti-far east prejudice and make most Gibsons out there.  Then they can keep a US manufacturing operation as a larger "Custom Shop".

If they made an LP to the current "standard" specs, but in the Far East, it would probably be better made, and come in at say £999 with a big profit.  
    And they would lose all of their US only buyers in one fell swoop.

Gibson make cheaper decent guitars in the US, like the Studios and Tribute models so pointless to go abroad IMO.

Added to that the price difference between Asian made and US Custom shop would be huge.

Gibson buyers tend to be more conservative than other buyers IMO and would probably baulk at foreign made models.

Once Pandora's box is open it can't be closed again. 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    The 70's SG special had mini-humbuckers, they were black though.
    Image result for 1972 gibson sg special
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    @Rabs did they give a price for the SG? I want it so bad.

No.. I will see if I can find out... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom