Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

First of the Gibson 2018s??

What's Hot

Comments

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Classic now up from £1350 to £1699

Studio at £1299

Standard at £2499

Go fuck yourselves Gibson. Don't want to hear none of this Brexit rubbish either. This is just plain ridiculous pricing 
    Get out of financial strife pricing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Whitecat said:

I'm glad it's not just me who's not a fan of slim taper. Here, have a LOL ... no, a wisdom ... no a LOL!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Bear in mind, these are launch prices. The 2017 models were priced higher than they are now on launch:

https://blog.andertons.co.uk/guitars/gibson-2017

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Philtre said:
    Bear in mind, these are launch prices. The 2017 models were priced higher than they are now on launch:

https://blog.andertons.co.uk/guitars/gibson-2017

Was just going to say this. The market wants a guitar that looks like an LP Standard for 1400-ish, so that's how much people will pay for th classic & trad once the dust settles. And Amazon will have this year's model on blowout for 1100 soon anyway 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited September 2017
    I really like the rear mounted pickups, and they suit the HP models well (they are only on HP models), sets them apart from the traditional range 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Just noticed that the 2018 Traditional LP has a poker chip:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/LPTD18HSNH1/solid-body-electric-guitars/gibson-usa-2018-les-paul-traditional-in-heritage-cherry-sunburst

Had to buy one for my 2017.

Bastards. ;-)

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • While Fender's prices have also gone up, they don't seem to take the piss quite like Gibson.

Some nice guitars this year, but they still ignore what people want.. e.g. just a simple Les Paul Junior, single and double cut versions, they'd fly off the shelves.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • What have I learned from this thread?

Gibson need to think about putting spoilers on their rear wheel drive Les Pauls
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Gibson are fucked. 

NB. I have had a couple of bottles of red. Plus some Scotch. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    While Fender's prices have also gone up, they don't seem to take the piss quite like Gibson.

Some nice guitars this year, but they still ignore what people want.. e.g. just a simple Les Paul Junior, single and double cut versions, they'd fly off the shelves.
    Yep I was really hoping for a double
    cut junior. I'd snap it up immediately 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I watched a few videos last night about the new Les Paul's.

My thoughts are... I'm not over bothered by the weight relief thing. I know it exists to make them gig friendly but I assumed a lot of the overall sound came from the chunk of mahogany with the maple cap. 

Aesthetics... sure, they look like Les Paul's but I wasn't too excited about the colours I saw. 

The thing that really got me was the coil tapping. I thought it sounded "interesting". But, here's my problem... they sounded *nearly* as nice a strat (due to their weight relieved bodies) and there were some nice tones comings through. But they are tones better achieved with a Strat, imo. I've had a coil tapped LP before and I rarely thought about using it that way tbh.

Best of the bunch? The traditional. Why? Fat neck, sod all weight relief, no coil tapping and a good colour. It's the only Les Paul there that's proud to be a Les Paul.

• rico said:
    Gibson are fucked. 

You are posting the pure drunken truth, don't worry.

The price hike is unjustified.  Good thing Andertons are doing so well because no matter how many videos the Captain and Chappers make they aren't selling as many Gibbons this year.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • When did Gibson start this new range every year nonsence? No one else does it do they? They're guitars not cars! 
  • rico said:
    My liver's fucked. 

FTFY
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good thing Andertons are doing so well because no matter how many videos the Captain and Chappers make they aren't selling as many Gibbons this year.
    Didn't 'The Captain' say in one of their fairly recent videos that they sold more Gibsons than any other UK dealer?
  • Good thing Andertons are doing so well because no matter how many videos the Captain and Chappers make they aren't selling as many Gibbons this year.
    Didn't 'The Captain' say in one of their fairly recent videos that they sold more Gibsons than any other UK dealer?

Yes they sold 4
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    rico said:
    Gibson are fucked. 

You seem to post similar at any opportunity whether drunk or sober.  ;)
  • Maybe I am being picky, but shouldn't Gibson make a little more effort to match each side of the maple cap on their guitars, especially one retailing at two and a half grand? This 'half plain, half figured' top looks awful to my eyes.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/LPS18MVCH1/solid-body-electric-guitars/gibson-usa-2018-les-paul-standard-in-mojave-burst

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    impmann said:

There is *utterly* no need for locking machine heads on a non-trem guitar. Its like putting a rear spoiler on a front wheel drive car.
    Well, that's not entirely true.  My dad had a Mini van with a tuned 1275 engine.  The rear was so light it needed both a spoiler and a welded lump of metal on the back to keep the rear end gripping.  :D

It was brilliant.  It once burned a Porsche off at some traffic lights.  The bloke's face was a picture!

I miss that little car.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    edited September 2017
    Maybe I am being picky, but shouldn't Gibson make a little more effort to match each side of the maple cap on their guitars, especially one retailing at two and a half grand? This 'half plain, half figured' top looks awful to my eyes.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/LPS18MVCH1/solid-body-electric-guitars/gibson-usa-2018-les-paul-standard-in-mojave-burst

It is probably down to the picture.

LP's having a carved top often photograph as being mismatched.

Although my LP is perfectly symmetrical is doesn't look like that in pics. It depends on the angle of the shot, first one side looks more flamey, then the other. 

See below ....