Britain's greatest contribution to world cuisine?

What's Hot
What is Britain's greatest contribution to world cuisine? I'm going to include Ireland here as well. 

My family just had a long debate about it (around the dinner table, quite appropriately) and some the opinions were Sunday Roast, whisky and Guinness. My choice was a full fried breakfast. 

What's yours? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3086
    Cornish Pasty.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    Chicken Tikka Masala

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Who invented the fish finger butty?
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316
    Fish and chips seems to be the dish most foreign people that I've met and asked, associate with the UK. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• RockerRocker Frets: 4986
    Guinness is Irish @vasselmeyer. IMHO the Melton Mobray pork pie is probably the best example of British cuisine.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Steak and kidney pudding?
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    We refined the pizza for the italians by putting baked beans on it. We took the worst aspects of American food, cost reduced it and sold it as 'American' food to a public who think american food is crap because they have eaten at TGI Fridays. We took Indian food and added loads of sugar to mask any subtleties in the spices. 

Our own national dishes have been distilled so they can be prepared by either microwave or deep fat fryer in chain pubs for fat fuckers who judge the quality of the food by how many chips they get.  There are hardly any decent bakeries left. We made ice-cream shit by pumping it full of air and hydrogenated fat. We are one of the few countries in the first world who think that instant coffee is acceptable.

Any foods cannot be ruined by mass production (like steak or fresh veg) are ruined by overcooking.

In short, the only thing we have contributed to world cuisine is to make food shitter than any other civilised country would even consider.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
        Bombay Bad Boy  Pot Noodle
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30295
    Camberwell carrots.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited August 2017
    CHRISB50 said:
    Fish and chips seems to be the dish most foreign people that I've met and asked, associate with the UK. 
    The fried fish part is borrowed from Spanish and/or Portugese cuisine, probably bought to this country by immigrants... 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Scones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15977
    spice...........Posh Spice in a pot with some carrots
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    A big Yorkshire Pudding filled with mince, onions, veg and gravy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Black Pudding off Bury Market.

Food to invade other countries on. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited August 2017
    Talk to Michelin starred French chef's and they always say puddings .. many British puddings have been copied and adapted by the French themselves .. and our game recipes.  The French also rate the humble black pudding, cheddar and stilton cheese and of course chicken tika masala which is now being exported to India. Whilst India has claimed the dish as their own it appears after research that a Pakistani chef, Ali Ahmed Aslam, proprietor of the Shish Mahal restaurant in the west end of Glasgow, invented chicken tikka masala by improvising a sauce made from yogurt, cream, and spices.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Black Pudding

Sticky Toffee Pudding 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Yep Full English breakfast (gotta have Bury black puddings) Which I partake in 5 days a week. Cant beat it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haggis. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    Fretwired said:
    Talk to Michelin starred French chef's and they always say puddings .. many British puddings have been copied and adapted by the French themselves .. and our game recipes.  The French also rate the humble black pudding, cheddar and stilton cheese and of course chicken tika masala which is now being exported to India. Whilst India has claimed the dish as their own it appears after research that a Pakistani chef, Ali Ahmed Aslam, proprietor of the Shish Mahal restaurant in the west end of Glasgow, invented chicken tikka masala by improvising a sauce made from yogurt, cream, and spices.
    My lass is from West Bengal and genuinely thought Chicken Tikka Masala was from India. They serve it in high class hotels over there. 

i am gong for ham and pease pudding stottie as the daddy of British food. 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Beans on toast
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom