Britain's greatest contribution to world cuisine?

What's Hot

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6088
    Crumpets.
    Toast and Marmalade.
    Apple Crumble.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    The Wigan Slappy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Gagaryn said:
    Black Pudding off Bury Market.

Food to invade other countries on. 
    I must try this if you can get it up here - I love black pudding. Charlie Macleod's from Stornoway is immense - so I'm gonna say that.
    You can get it in Tesco mate...The Bury Black Pudding Company 

Image result for bury black pudding tesco

I'll keep a look out - cheers! It will have to be damn good to beet Macleods. :-)
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Sassafras said:
    I grew up in England and France so I'd sampled both types of 'cuisine'.
    One thing I could never understand was the English interpretation of a salad.
    You'd get half a boiled egg, 2 halves of tomato, a few whole lettuce leaves, a gherkin if you were very lucky and a bottle of Heinz Salad Cream.
    Not saying it was a huge contribution to international gastronomy but it was curious.

To quote a woman I used to work with - "my favourite salad is cold meat and beetroot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27126
    There is little worse than the English salad staple of iceberg lettuce. Why would anyone eat those? They're just awful. Somehow flavourless and bitter at the same time. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    A huge fry-up. That and fish'n'chips are what I imagine most foreigners think of when asked about "English cuisine"
    Haggis for the Scots Guinness for the Irish.
    I'm not a foodie by any stretch of the imagination....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Gagaryn said:
    Gagaryn said:

I must try this if you can get it up here - I love black pudding. Charlie Macleod's from Stornoway is immense - so I'm gonna say that.

I'll keep a look out - cheers! It will have to be damn good to beet Macleods. :-)

'Bury black pudding'.

Best way to deal with that disgusting shite.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Gagaryn said:

'Bury black pudding'.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gagaryn said:
    Gagaryn said:

'Bury black pudding'.

Hippy. 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Gagaryn said:
    Gagaryn said:

'Bury black pudding'.

Why, are you not a fan of a condom full of pigs blood?
  • Octafish said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Fish and chips seems to be the dish most foreign people that I've met and asked, associate with the UK. 
    The fried fish part is borrowed from Spanish and/or Portugese cuisine, probably bought to this country by immigrants... 
    I thought it was Jewish in heritage? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Octafish said:
    Gagaryn said:
    Gagaryn said:

'Bury black pudding'.

Why, are you not a fan of a condom full of pigs blood?

Funny you should mention it, but no.

• Lodious said:
    We refined the pizza for the italians by putting baked beans on it. We took the worst aspects of American food, cost reduced it and sold it as 'American' food to a public who think american food is crap because they have eaten at TGI Fridays. We took Indian food and added loads of sugar to mask any subtleties in the spices. 

Our own national dishes have been distilled so they can be prepared by either microwave or deep fat fryer in chain pubs for fat fuckers who judge the quality of the food by how many chips they get.  There are hardly any decent bakeries left. We made ice-cream shit by pumping it full of air and hydrogenated fat. We are one of the few countries in the first world who think that instant coffee is acceptable.

Any foods cannot be ruined by mass production (like steak or fresh veg) are ruined by overcooking.

In short, the only thing we have contributed to world cuisine is to make food shitter than any other civilised country would even consider.
    Margaret Thatcher was a member of the team that developed the 'soft serve' style. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    Octafish said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Fish and chips seems to be the dish most foreign people that I've met and asked, associate with the UK. 
    The fried fish part is borrowed from Spanish and/or Portugese cuisine, probably bought to this country by immigrants... 
    I thought it was Jewish in heritage? 
    I quick check on wiki suggests it was Western Sephardic Jews from the Iberian Peninsula i.e Spain/Portugal, that brought fried fish here in the 17th century. The chips bit is from either Belgium or France, depending on who's side you're on.
    Lodious said:
    We refined the pizza for the italians by putting baked beans on it. We took the worst aspects of American food, cost reduced it and sold it as 'American' food to a public who think american food is crap because they have eaten at TGI Fridays. We took Indian food and added loads of sugar to mask any subtleties in the spices. 

Our own national dishes have been distilled so they can be prepared by either microwave or deep fat fryer in chain pubs for fat fuckers who judge the quality of the food by how many chips they get.  There are hardly any decent bakeries left. We made ice-cream shit by pumping it full of air and hydrogenated fat. We are one of the few countries in the first world who think that instant coffee is acceptable.

Any foods cannot be ruined by mass production (like steak or fresh veg) are ruined by overcooking.

In short, the only thing we have contributed to world cuisine is to make food shitter than any other civilised country would even consider.
    Margaret Thatcher was a member of the team that developed the 'soft serve' style. 
    So unlike that dead old bitch to be involved in making things shit!
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30295
    There is little worse than the English salad staple of iceberg lettuce. Why would anyone eat those? They're just awful. Somehow flavourless and bitter at the same time. 
    Anyone who's watched Peep Show knows that the iceberg lettuce is ideal as a nourishing filler for pasta dishes as well as a versatile cocktail ingredient.
    It's of Moroccan descent, I believe.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How about decent crisps? Particularly the "hand-cooked" style that are in abundance just now. We had some Tesco Finest Lightly Salted today, they're just perfect.

Then Jam and Marmalade, I'm pretty sure they're British in origin.

Roast potatoes. Ideally with a nice piece of roasted meat joint and well made gravy.

English Mustard?

Stilton and Cheddar Cheese.

Fruit Crumble.

A decent cup of tea - none of the fancy, floral stuff, but Black Tea made strong with a dash of milk.

Pints of Ale/Bitter. I personally think the Belgians beat us here, but British beer is good.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4986
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Rocker said:
    Guinness is Irish @vasselmeyer. IMHO the Melton Mobray pork pie is probably the best example of British cuisine.
    Guiness is British.

Not sure how you can stand over that statement @Drew_TNBD as the original Guinness brewery is located at St. James Gate, Dublin, Ireland.  Worth a visit..

And whiskey is Irish. I thought everyone knew that. The word is an English take on the Irish words 'Uisce Beatha', literally 'water of life'. Poitin is the illicitly distilled drink that 'can be got' almost everywhere in Ireland. Practically every country produces its own takes on whisky or whiskey. Some are very potent!
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Deep fried pizza
    Quorn

I dunno, I think the best thing to happen to British food was immigration. 
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5005
    Guinness is Irish but Stout I believe originates here.