Britain's greatest contribution to world cuisine?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Rocker said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Rocker said:
    Guinness is Irish @vasselmeyer. IMHO the Melton Mobray pork pie is probably the best example of British cuisine.
    Guiness is British.

Not sure how you can stand over that statement @Drew_TNBD as the original Guinness brewery is located at St. James Gate, Dublin, Ireland.  Worth a visit..

And whiskey is Irish. I thought everyone knew that. The word is an English take on the Irish words 'Uisce Beatha', literally 'water of life'. Poitin is the illicitly distilled drink that 'can be got' almost everywhere in Ireland. Practically every country produces its own takes on whisky or whiskey. Some are very potent!
    Guinness is currently owned by a British company by the look of it, although Irish in origin. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staffordshire oat cakes. Yum. 

Shortbread? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16733
    edited August 2017
    Guinness is an Irish recipe of an English style.  Diageo, the company that owns the brand, is a Multinational company with British headquarters.

The head brewer who invented Guinness also played a big part in modern statistics.  (Inventing the t-test as a measure of quality control)

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    maidenfan said:
    Fretwired said:
    Talk to Michelin starred French chef's and they always say puddings .. many British puddings have been copied and adapted by the French themselves .. and our game recipes.  The French also rate the humble black pudding, cheddar and stilton cheese and of course chicken tika masala which is now being exported to India. Whilst India has claimed the dish as their own it appears after research that a Pakistani chef, Ali Ahmed Aslam, proprietor of the Shish Mahal restaurant in the west end of Glasgow, invented chicken tikka masala by improvising a sauce made from yogurt, cream, and spices.
    My parents lived very close to the Shish when I was a bairn, incredible place, well worth the status it has.
    If you'd been a nipper in the West End you'd have been a wean no a bairn  :)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    edited August 2017
    Fretwired said:

It Italians were distilling alcohol in the 13th century, but not making whisky/whiskey. That came later in Scotland/Ireland. Records show that whiskey was being made in Ireland in 1405 and in Scotland in the early 1500s.
    Whisky has been made in Scotland, not Whiskey.

What is The Fretboard coming to when its members don't know the difference?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    crunchman said:
    Fretwired said:

It Italians were distilling alcohol in the 13th century, but not making whisky/whiskey. That came later in Scotland/Ireland. Records show that whiskey was being made in Ireland in 1405 and in Scotland in the early 1500s.
    Whisky has been made in Scotland, not Whiskey.

What is The Fretboard coming to when its members don't know the difference?
    That was sort of where I was coming from.... although you were less sarcastic and obtuse! Kudos!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Rocker said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Rocker said:
    Guinness is Irish @vasselmeyer. IMHO the Melton Mobray pork pie is probably the best example of British cuisine.
    Guiness is British.

Not sure how you can stand over that statement @Drew_TNBD as the original Guinness brewery is located at St. James Gate, Dublin, Ireland.  Worth a visit..

And whiskey is Irish. I thought everyone knew that. The word is an English take on the Irish words 'Uisce Beatha', literally 'water of life'. Poitin is the illicitly distilled drink that 'can be got' almost everywhere in Ireland. Practically every country produces its own takes on whisky or whiskey. Some are very potent!
    I'd like to have a poke and a prod with you Rocker, but I think you'd just get offended and have hurt feelings. Probably best to leave it hey?
  • 19791979 Frets: 87
    Tunnocks 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Fretwired said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Fretwired said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    AlexC said:
    If we're including drink then I'd say whisky/whiskey - invented by the Celtic nations and drunk all over the world. Tried some Japanese whisky once - would've been better off sucking on a drummer"s socks after a three hour gig.
    Whisky was invented by the Celtic nations. Whiskey was invented by inbred Americans.
    Whiskey was invented in Ireland ...
    Nah mate, Americaaaaaaa
    So the Native Americans were distilling whiskey were they .... I don't think so.
    Yeah man they did. There just aren't any records to prove it. But they definitely did.
    There's a slight problem with that ... what do you need to make whiskey apart from water?

Whiskey is Irish.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Bubble and Squeek!

Fuck I'm hungry now.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Spotted Dick!

Although it sounds like a nasty disease.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Spotted Dick!

Although it sounds like a nasty disease.

And looks like one when it's covered in custard........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• RoxRox Frets: 2147

Cheezy Peaz.

Which is Mutter Paneer in your local Indian Takeaway...