Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What has gone wrong here on tFB?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4986
edited August 2017 in Off Topic
Lately a lot of replies and contributions here have become very nasty and personal. I have been dished out a large number of these replies but so also have other members. It seems that holding a view which is different to that of the group in general, can result in spiteful remarks and comments. Rather than discussing and probing these different viewpoints, put downs of one type or another are the norm. We come from a wide variety of backgrounds so it is inevitable that our opinions and ideas will be different.

On BassChat, there are very few barbs thrown at fellow members even when opinions expressed are extreme opposites. There is civil debate which can get heated but remains respectful.

We in tFB are a community. Let's try and moderate our comments and keep comments to the subject under discussion. And refrain from personal barbs. At least give it a fair trial...
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Comes and goes in cycles 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17645
    tFB Trader
    Moved to ot as it's a moan thread rather than a request for help
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I think the putdowns are a form of self-aware laddish banter.  I didn't think it had been too bad lately to be honest.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    I can't say I've noticed anything that bad. Got the usual suspects with their usual provocative posts, but other than that, just the usual joking (although some 'in' jokes may come across as a bit dubious). I've certainly not noticed anything truly nasty.
  • Bollocks.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Middle-aged white men aren't really traditionally regarded a good benchmark for sensitivity, open-mindedness or generosity of spirit. Could this be a factor? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4986
    Risking being banned or put in the cooler, I have moved this back to its rightful category. This subject ought not be swept under the carpet...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Not that I've experienced what I'm about to write, here on thefretboard, but I felt like saying it anyway! 

I find a lot of people use 'everyones entitled to an opinion' as some form of defence these days for being a dick to someone. 

While everyone's entitled to an opinion, which is true and fair, an opinion should be polite and left there on both sides if theres disagreement. 

Instead people act spitefully while putting it across. Using their 'opinion' as a defence for being a dickhead. 

Which reminds me of just how to be a decent human being. 

If you aint got nothing nice to say, then don't say it. Simple. 

So thats how adults share opinions yet also remain, well nice. 

So If someones being an unfair dick to you, or to someone else, then report to mods, don't bother spittin back. Put it to bed there and then. 

There is banter, and thats all great if it is just banter! Sometimes banter comes across wrong, or if you're like me, I'll make a joke that is apparantly too far, even though I had no ill intentions and genuinely didnt think it was hurtful! Not that I have on here (I hope!).  

I can't say I've experienced any negative stuff here, but I have on other forums. 

It is easy for people to forget that what they write online is read by other humans with feelings, who may take it to heart. 

But while I'm here, I gotta say most people here have been exceptionally cool and helpful. 

So thanks go out to all of you that have taken the time to write or help out when I've posted. It is much appreciated! 

The mods/overlords/admins I've found also havent been nazi's/power tripping either, which I've experienced a lot of on different forums. Which is refreshing! 

But also, good on you OP for posting!
    Sometimes its hard to feel like you can speak up. 
    Hope you stick around n that though, cos everyone here is what makes a great community, even better! 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited August 2017
    You've not met the internet have you?

In all seriousness, people speak to reach other on line in a way that wouldn't dream of doing face to face. Just take everything with a pinch of salt and if in doubt tell them to grow up. 

Unless you're talking about me...in which case, do one you left/right* wing libtard/Neanderthal* moron... You had it coming!

*delete as required

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17645
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    Put it back again and you are coolered

All the mods get notified when you post on help and feedback so don't clag it up with whinge threads.
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27626
    Rocker said:
    Risking being banned or put in the cooler, I have moved this back to its rightful category. This subject ought not be swept under the carpet...
    And I've just moved it back to OT, so that I don't get pinged every time that there's another post on the thread (which I do for threads in certain categories) because that would be annoying.

Given the relative traffic levels, OT is hardly "under the carpet".

Leave it in OT.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27626
    And wis'd @skunkwerx for getting it all pretty much spot on.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    If somebody does issue a hurtful putdown, you have to remember that it's they who have the problem. In my opinion it shows a certain unhappiness, or perhaps a stress-filled life. I tend to ignore it if it comes my way, although I find it all too easy to keep the "conversation" going sometimes, while being mindful not to engage on the same level.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11318
    Comes and goes in cycles 
    Don't start about bloody cyclists!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    All depends on how you perceive what's been said. Not only that, we sometimes have to do a lot more guesswork with conversations online as there's no face-to-face interaction. What might come across as offensive could simply be banter or an innocent challenge. And if you're not sure what was meant by someone's comment, then the best thing to do is laugh. That's what I do.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11796
    For the internet, I've found this forum unusually friendly.  You can often agree to disagree after a to and fro rather than it getting personal or getting nasty, not always but often.

Sometimes people pile in on someone with an unpopular opinion, but I've known that in the real world as well.  If you come into a thread titled "I love Chappers" full of praise for him, and call him names, you are likely to upset those already reading the thread, and probably have to defend your post.  As long as it stays on-topic and doesn't get personal, that's probably pretty fair.

As was commented excellently up-thread, middle-aged white men are the dominant demographic on this board and are not known globally for sensitivity or open-mindedness.

One thing which would improve the guitar community in general is more diversity.  Female guitarists are incredibly valuable to the community, so are young guitarists, gay guitarists, minority guitarists.  If we had one of those for every middle-aged white straight male then there would be no more pretentious articles about guitar being dead, as it would be shown to be a diverse unifying thing.

Which it should be, there is something special about picking up a guitar and noodling, playing a favourite song, or setting yourself a challenge.  If you have appreciated that enough to join an online community, then whatever your taste colour or creed, you have a pending friend right here :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    I think this place is pretty amiable most of the time. There's certainly forums that are a lot more snarky than here. There are a few "characters" that like to throw things into the pot, I presume to get a reaction, I think they're just playing an online version of ring the doorbell and run away. I just try and take it with a pinch of salt. 

I love this place and I've had plenty of good advice, help and some really good turns from members here. I think if it got moderated too much, either by the mod team or people trying to be too polite, it'd lose a lot of its character. Tbh, @Rocker some of your posts do come across as a bit "old geezer"ish. It's not really surprising you get some stick sometimes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4931
    A while back I had someone "fix" something I wrote, by quoting my post but editing my words to something else.

I objected to the mods and they said it was acceptable.

I tend not to post in the off-topic area now; I'm here for the guitar/bass chat.
  • prowla said:
    A while back I had someone "fix" something I wrote, by quoting my post but editing my words to something else.

I objected to the mods but they were busy dealing with sir twatalot

I tend not to post in the off-topic area now; I'm here for the guitar/bass chat.
    FTFY

/irony

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    FFS Can we just stop talking about Drew_TNBD for a change?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom