Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is the dress code at your work and what do you wear?

What's Hot
octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
Now I'm about to join the ranks of the gainfully employed I need to think about clothes for work.
I've been told it is informal there- some people are in shirts and jeans, some in t-shirts and jeans and some people in shorts and t-shirts.
Generally the higher up you are the more formal people dress.

I'm thinking of doing t-shirts and jeans, probably long sleeve as I'm heavily inked but wondering if I should dress up a bit more.

What is the dress code at your job and do you overdress or underdress for it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4714

Working at home - pants, if I'm feeling very formal.  General appearance of a hobo.

In the office, jeans, non-sport trainers, company branded T-shirt.

Meetings, shirt and pants, no tie, black shoes.   May have a shave.

• octatonic said:
    Now I'm about to join the ranks of the gainfully employed I need to think about clothes for work.
    I've been told it is informal there- some people are in shirts and jeans, some in t-shirts and jeans and some people in shorts and t-shirts.

I'm thinking of doing t-shirts and jeans, probably long sleeve as I'm heavily inked but wondering if I should dress up a bit more.

How high up is the job? 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I have shirts/jumpers and a fleece supplied, other than that jeans/cargo trousers or shorts are your choice (I won't wear jeans to work - too inflexible when shifting heavy inanimate objects).
    Steel toecaps are a must, I had a Scania caliper land on my steelies, saved my foot, fucked the boot.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Public sector jobs, have usually had the dress code purely in terms of what's not appropriate ( very scruffy, rude slogans on t shirts,etc ) although there was a formal look ( shirt, jacket, tie, no jeans) for court work - I've had to send new members of staff home from work for turning up to court in jeans ( less embarrassing than having magistrates tell them to leave). 
    Generallly the higher up the food chain the more formally people would dress, never quite sure if that was about self importance or what they thought partner organisations would expect of managers. 
    I never go to work in jeans and t shirt - they would have to be 'smart' jeans and t shirt which feels a bit weird so I'm otherwise smart casual I guess. I don't have a management position anymore but I like to have a set of clothes that psychologically tells me I'm at work. Tomorrow I'm working from home but I'll still put on a shirt and trews.
    MrsTheWeary has a nurse's uniform - sadly not as sexy as it might sound, especially by the end of a shift :mask: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17639
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    We don't have a dress code at work. 

What people wear varies a bit from smart trousers and a shirt to Star Wars t-shirts (did I mention I work in software development).

I always wear a smart shirt and jeans. I don't really feel right at work in a t-shirt. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    octatonic said:

How high up is the job? 
    Honestly, I don't know.
    I'm not going to be managing anyone.
    It is a fairly technical role that is dealing with customers via the phone and email with the odd client visit.
    In case you didn't know from the other thread it is for an audio company.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    I'm in a big corporate, but a relatively "provincial" office. We used to have to wear suits every day, though ties not required. About a year ago we moved to "flex dress" in a bid to appeal more to millenials (shudder), do when I'm not seeing clients I'm now in colourful chinos with reasonable shirt and desert boots most days. I am pretty much always the most casually dressed but also usually the best dressed the office, because I'm the one not wearing an ill-fitting suit and shoes that need polishing...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I'm self-employed so whilst I could wear whatever I like, I go with a polo shirt embroidered with my business logo, and some jeans. If its cold I'll have a hooded top on with my logo.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    octatonic said:

Initially you could err on the side of being sartorially circumspect.  No harm done.  I know that when I got the feedback from a corporate interview that: all was well except for the tie-dyed T-shirt I took a few, "okay, could have done that better" points.  (Got the job though.)
    I’m doing a few jobs at the moment but that aforementioned corporate gig expects a uniform.
    I deliberately don’t wear it —  not because I’m a rebel (cos tbh I can’t be arsed and actually I’d be okay wearing it) but because the absence of “the uniform” is different.  And I want to signify difference.  So it’s a psychological sign:  “this experience will be different.”  That’s it.  A means to an end.

• octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

How high up is the job? 
    Honestly, I don't know.
    It is a fairly technical role that is dealing with customers via the phone and email with the odd client visit.
    I reckon you'll be sound in jeans and t-shirts, with a bit of finessing perhaps when meeting clients. 

You don't strike me as a scruffy bugger, so whatever you pick'll be fine. 

Are you a little nervous? 
    The other thing is I have a very limited range of clothes- I don't like the 'what do I wear' thing to clutter up my morning- so I am kinda looking for a solution that I can just implement and then not think about.

In the last 15 years of being self-employed I've pretty much worn the same thing every day, which is a black t-shirt, blue or black jeans and Redwing boots. The only exception to this is I wear skate shoes when playing drums.
    I buy my t-shirts by the dozen every 3 months and they get turned into polishing clothes when they lose their shape.
    Jeans are almost always Levi 511's.

Having a lot of ink means I probably need to wear long sleeves but I'd quite like to keep wearing what I have been wearing but I don't want to be underdressed for the role.

octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

How high up is the job? 
    Honestly, I don't know.
    I reckon you'll be sound in jeans and t-shirts, with a bit of finessing perhaps when meeting clients. 

You don't strike me as a scruffy bugger, so whatever you pick'll be fine. 

Are you a little nervous? 
    Not particularly- I'm just solution driven.
    As I state above I don't like thinking about clothes very much- I wear the same thing every day and just want to find a solution that will work for the role without it costing too much or requiring me to think about it too much either.
    I am looking forward to the gig though.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited February 2018
    We don't have a dress code so i wear t shirt and jeans with vans shoes, sometimes a casual shirt if I have a meeting or someone important is 
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited August 2017
    I'd keep the jeans and t-shirt thing going, and add a couple of cool cardigans to tone down the ink's impact. You'd be surprised how smart the combination can be, whilst changing very little from your normal gig. 

I like the Hardy Amies range of cardies and jumpers...get em new for peanuts on the bay, as opposed to an arm and a leg in the high street. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    octatonic said:
     but I don't want to be underdressed for the role.

Shirts.  Rolled up sleeves.
    Dark colours.

Works very well.
    FYI  Debenham's sizes come up large.  Eg your regular 16.5 everywhere else in the world is a 16 from Debenhams.
    That's it.  My entire knowledge of clothing, here in this thread. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I like to split the work / leisure feeling, so it's short sleeve shirts and trousers for work, no tie.

Tees and jeans at home.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    Grunfeld said:
    octatonic said:
     but I don't want to be underdressed for the role.

Shirts.  Rolled up sleeves.
    Dark colours.

Works very well.
    FYI  Debenham's sizes come up large.  Eg your regular 16.5 everywhere else in the world is a 16 from Debenhams.
    That's it.  My entire knowledge of clothing, here in this thread. 

Wis for shirts with rolled up sleeves. Not sure about wis for Dbenhams though.

Short sleeved shirts are the work of the devil. Spending on the style they either make you look like a shit surfer, or a middle-management engineer circa 1998.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

How high up is the job? 
    Honestly, I don't know.
    In that case stilts and a top hat
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    We work from home so I own a nice collection of pyjama bottoms.  I try to always be wearing pants no matter how hot it is.  I wear a suit to visit clients.  I aspire to have an office setup like the Golgafrinchan captain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7774
    I don't like jeans particularly. Get a couple decent pairs of chinos in black, dark blue, grey even bottle green. Long sleeve informal shirts (tucked in with a belt) and even polo shirts will look stylish with the chinos if they're good quality. If you want to be casual then wear good sneakers (this is a studio after all) , if you want a bit more formal, shoes or boat shoes. I've dressed this way for years in offices and if you wear decent quality stuff it looks better than oversized M&S trousers and white shirts.