Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is the dress code at your work and what do you wear?

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8724
    octatonic said:

I'm not going to be managing anyone.
    It is a fairly technical role that is dealing with customers via the phone and email with the odd client visit.
    First day: suit and tie. It's easier to come down from a high starting point than it is to go the other way. On the first day they will take the photograph which goes on your security pass, and their intranet, so you want to look presentable. It also shows what you're capable of dressing like for client meetings. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Speedos. I'm a lifeguard.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Scrubs ... I work in theatre.
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Roland said:
    octatonic said:

I'm not going to be managing anyone.
    It is a fairly technical role that is dealing with customers via the phone and email with the odd client visit.
    First day: suit and tie. It's easier to come down from a high starting point than it is to go the other way. On the first day they will take the photograph which goes on your security pass, and their intranet, so you want to look presentable. It also shows what you're capable of dressing like for client meetings. 
    I was specifically told that no one in the office wears a tie.
    The security pass thing is a good idea- I'll wear a shirt on the first day at least.
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5419
    edited August 2017
     I have a lab coat over the top anyway, so it's largely irrelevant what I'm wearing. 
    I can wear whatever I want usually, but I tend to wear t-shirt & either jeans or shorts depending on whether I'm using anything hazardous.
     If I'm teaching students I initially go for a "smart" t-shirt, but generally regress to my usual "the first one from the drawer" after a class or two. 
    I've only once had a comment... A religious student didn't find this funny.
    https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.303587916.5646/ra,unisex_tshirt,x2950,fafafa:ca443f4786,front-c,648,590,750,1000-bg,f8f8f8.lite-1u2.jpg

I'm an evolutionary biologist, so thankfully my manager thought it was amusing. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16726
    edited August 2017
    After uni I worked in a bank office for a year.  Strict shirt and tie when I started, then they gathered us all to say we didn't need to wear ties anymore.  People got very excited by that.

then I was in schools for 10 years and it was always shirt and tie minimum, even though female teachers can wear what the hell they like.  I got tattooed in that time so it was always long sleeved, but they still got rolled up on occasion.  

Visible Tattoos are kind of accepted.  I assume they are not an issue until someone says they are.  No-one has yet.  If you have been out of the workplace a while, don't worry about it, times have changed.

where I am now is "smart casual", I do smart or scruffy git so struggle with this. I tend to wear a shirt most of the time even though many wear T/polo shirts.  The shirts have drifted less formal.  I have changed from smart formal trousers to chinos or dark jeans... not blue or stonewash!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Black polo shirt and jeans. No shoes around the office.
    WezV said:

Visible Tattoos are kind of accepted.  I assume they are not an issue until someone says they are.  No-one has yet.  If you have been out of the workplace a while, don't worry about it, times have changed.

Good to know.
    Yes, I've not had a 'proper job' for 15 years.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I work in an office and the dress code is smart casual I guess. After 15 years at the company I've stretched that code. Haven't worn a tie for years. My shoes are old and pretty fucked. I wear Chino type things and have had the same shirts in circulation for about 2 years. Until last week I had a hobo style beard. Basically I look like a slob at work and someone should sort me out......
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3083
    We're shirt and tie with no exceptions. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BGG said:
    Scrubs ... I work in theatre.
    Anything I might've seen you in?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I manage a formal hire shop. While my boss has never said anything to me about my Pretty Green offerings I'm aware that I should be wearing smarter gear. Unfortunately when you're ironing, steam pressing, scrubbing dirty shirts and stripping out returned suits a shirt and tie is a little silly.

Not to mention the fact that I have access to some very ott suits and accessories... it would be very easy to get carried away 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Last place was fairly relaxed about clothing (not properly cuntstomer facing, mostly phone), then a new bunch of directors arrived and every one had to wear a shirt and tie, and a name tag (again, still not cuntstomer facing). Everyone's moral dropped through the floor. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

I'm a pimp so I'm expected to dress appropriately.

Sassafras said:

Apparently you are a pimp at Grange Hill.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    Sassafras said:

Apparently you are a pimp at Grange Hill.
    Or a terrible SRV tribute act 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I'm public sector, so immaculately pressed shirt and trousers with highly polished shoes. Sometimes with a tie and jumper, always with a hat. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    Suits without a tie, but never black or white clothes or shoes. I cannot abide them. At home chinos with shirts. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2587
    I'm public sector too. We're at the shirt and no tie stage of the unwritten dress code evolution. I'm now pushing the boundaries by wearing five pocket twill straight legs (for all intents and purposes jeans) and long sleeve woollen polos (what a fucking rebel). If I was to write the dress code, the only thing I'd ban is brown pointy brogues, because that's what those with upwardly mobile career ambitions wear.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1779
    Where a proper suit on you first day, something classy like this:
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.