Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New car for the wife?

What's Hot

Wife needs a a new car. We're looking for something smallish but with 5 doors, nippy for round town trips. (ie not a big saloon or an MPV), not too old, or too many miles, DAB radio, Satnav, Bluetooth, budget £8-9K.

We've shortlisted a 2015/2016 Citroen C4 Cactus Flair or 2015/2016 Renault Clio Dynamique S, these can be had within that budget and seem to be plenty about in good nick.

The Cactus looks like it's made from Lego, looks kinda fun but I'm not sure I would be able to park it at work without some major piss taking (I would only use it when the wife needs the big grown ups car), the Clio is smartly styled but rear access to the back seats may be a bit cramped for the teenage kids when they want running about town.

Thoughts? suggestions?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Check out a Skoda Fabia.  One of the petrol TSI models in high spec would be nice to drive around town and should fit most of your requirements/budget.  Just not sure if they do a satnav version.

They're bigger than the Clio, but not a big car still easy to drive and park.  They're a bit taller so rear passenger space is better than typical other small cars.  Boot space is decent for a small car.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Austin Allegro
    My V key is broken
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    New car for the wife?

I'll need a cash adjustment.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How about a  mini.
    Bloddy good fun to drive and lots of toys

• holnrew said:
    Austin Allegro

Thanks for the suggestion, now shortlisted.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    How about a  mini.

Yep. M-I-L swears by hers. Just about to upgrade to her second as she loves it so much. 
  • How about a  mini.

I suggested that, but it's complicated... an ex work friend of hers, well manager in fact, who she fell out with big time, who now is seeing her brother much to her disdain, has a Mini and I'm assured that she would never be seen driving the same car as "that bitch".

That was pretty much the end of that one.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    Not sure if in budget, but Skoda Yeti is fab

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Gassage said:

Nah, don't like the looks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    How about a  mini.

I suggested that, but it's complicated... an ex work friend of hers, well manager in fact, who she fell out with big time, who now is seeing her brother much to her disdain, has a Mini and I'm assured that she would never be seen driving the same car as "that bitch".

That was pretty much the end of that one.

Sound female reasoning that.

Remove the French cars from your short list. I will admit to knowing nothing about cars, but I've never needed to as my best mate is a mechanic. His rule number 1 - No French cars.

I've always thought those panels on the Cactus are to deflect the eggs and other shit people will throw at you for buying / driving one.

It's dull as, but what about an Aygo? They do a 5 door version with all the bells and whistles you want.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Our car policy has always been just buy any old banger that is available. Choosing a specific car - what a luxury! Must be nice to be loaded.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    Polo. Classy reliable and German.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    Having owned a Citroen, I'd go for something Japanese.

I'd much rather have a Japanese car that was a year older with 15k more miles on the clock than a Citroen.  Renault probably won't be very different to Citroen.
  • My experience with French cars: our 2005 Citroen Xsara Picasso is now 12 years old and has passed all MOTs and the only problem we have had was a failed shock absorber spring. Had a cam belt change 2 years ago and has had new brake discs and pads and tyres changed when needed. Been a faithful and dependable servant.

We bought a newish C4 Picasso to replace it earlier this year but have kept it for a while, however now it's time is up as we want a smaller second car.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Gassage said:

But you mentioned that Cactus thing!?! It's like the Gert Bucket of cars. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    Right up until you said "teenage kids" I was going to suggest Peugeot 208...

• SRichSRich Frets: 762
    Major piss take on the Cactus is justified - I had a demo Cactus from Citroen here about a year ago......I couldn't get anyone to drive the thing. Just plain ugly.

To be fair to you, the Citroens would be Okayish if you don't intend to do a lot of miles or keep the car too long. French electrics tend to be their undoing. Costly and frustrating too.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    rlw said:
    Unbelievable fuel economy and emissions too.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50 said:
    Gassage said:

But you mentioned that Cactus thing!?! It's like the Gert Bucket of cars. 
    Ahh Gerty Bucket. We had a centre page poster of her in the lounge in our student house...

Anyway. My wife has had a Clio and a Golf in recent years. Her current Hyundai i30 is just as good for shopping and kid's taxi. 

5 year warranty - or go for the equivalent Kia with 7 years.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    Dodge said:
    rlw said:
    Unbelievable fuel economy and emissions too.
    No issues with the petrol engines and the fuel economy isn't that far off the average.  Looked after, a Polo will be there with Keef and the cockroaches.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.