Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New car for the wife?

What's Hot

Comments

• CHRISB50 said:
    Gassage said:
    Not sure if in budget, but Skoda Yeti is fab

Nah, don't like the looks
    But you mentioned that Cactus thing!?! It's like the Gert Bucket of cars. 

I know, I don't think I can tolerate the weird looks but it looks cool inside. The Yeti looks like something from the mid 80s

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There's something about this Cactus that  catches my eye...

• Mother in law had a C4 Cactus - the wife drove it and said it felt flimsy and generally not very well-made or solid. She hated it almost as much as the Juke she had as a courtesy car for a couple of weeks.
    <space for hire>
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    New car for the wife? sounds like a good swap.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205

There's something about this Cactus that  catches my eye...

She used to be in James Brown's band, but got fired for misunderstanding "take it to the bridge"
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592

New car for the wife?

Sounds like a good swap, can you get something modern with a nice body and lots of gadgets?

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I picked up a Mazda 3 hatchback on sat,

Loving it
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13944
    edited September 2017
    axisus said:
    New car for the wife? sounds like a good swap.

Yes, the battered old bus has been thrown around town on a Saturday night by many joy riding lads over the years and had plenty of grubby handed technicians poking around the exhaust. Well past it's best, loose and creaky, and needs upgrading to a newer model.

The old car is showing it's age too.

• rlw said:
    Polo. Classy reliable and German.

Yes, some nice tidy Polos around on Autotrader with DAB and other bits and bobs for that budget. The standard spec ones looks a bit plain but some of the sportier ones look OK. Added to the shortlist.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    edited September 2017
    rlw said:
    Polo. Classy reliable and German.

Yes, some nice tidy Polos around on Autotrader with DAB and other bits and bobs for that budget. The standard spec ones looks a bit plain but some of the sportier ones look OK. Added to the shortlist.
    My wife had a Polo. It had rock hard and crashy suspension, it was horrible to ride in, although it was very nippy for a 1.4. It was a 2007 model, later ones could be better. 

The Hyundai i20 seems to get decent reviews. Very well equipped and you get a 5 year warranty with them. Otherwise the Fiesta is the best of the small hatchbacks, but that makes them a bit more expensive. 
  • Honda Civic Type R. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Defender 90, 15 years old, maybe 20.

Bit rough over bumps mind.....
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I think the Cactus is a fabulous looking car. It's actually interesting, which a lot of cars aren't.

How about a Mazda 2? They're meant to be good.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11458

My experience with French cars: our 2005 Citroen Xsara Picasso is now 12 years old and has passed all MOTs and the only problem we have had was a failed shock absorber spring. Had a cam belt change 2 years ago and has had new brake discs and pads and tyres changed when needed. Been a faithful and dependable servant.

We bought a newish C4 Picasso to replace it earlier this year but have kept it for a while, however now it's time is up as we want a smaller second car.

My dad has had several Citroens.  He regrets ever buying the latest one.  Sooner or later you will come a cropper if you keep buying them.  Japanese all the way.
  • crunchman said:

My experience with French cars: our 2005 Citroen Xsara Picasso is now 12 years old and has passed all MOTs and the only problem we have had was a failed shock absorber spring. Had a cam belt change 2 years ago and has had new brake discs and pads and tyres changed when needed. Been a faithful and dependable servant.

We bought a newish C4 Picasso to replace it earlier this year but have kept it for a while, however now it's time is up as we want a smaller second car.

My dad has had several Citroens.  He regrets ever buying the latest one.  Sooner or later you will come a cropper if you keep buying them.  Japanese all the way.
    Maybe, but I have owned the following French cars with no reliability issues whatsoever:

1998 Renault Clio
    1999 Citroen Xsara Picasso
    2003 Citroen Berlingo
    2003 Citroen C2
    2005 Citroen C4
    2005 Citroen Xsara Picasso
    2016 Citroen C4 Picasso

I also have owned Ford Fiesta(s), Volkswagen Golf GTI and a Mazda RX8 that had issues.

The old cliches of Japanese reliability, French unreliability, German engineering etc. are just that. Modern car production design, engineering and manufacturing methods are all pretty much advanced to a point where things either go wrong or they don't regardless of manufacturer.

I believe regular and prompt servicing along with home checks and taking good care of a car pretty much keep the wheels rolling.

Not had a lemon yet, been owning cars for 30+ years, maybe I've been lucky.

• TheMarlin said:
    Honda Civic Type R. 
    I had a Type R up to over 125mph on the Wisbech bypass once before I had to slow down, they go like shit off a shovel.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6140
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Fiat 500 is also fun to drive
  • Fiat 500 is also fun to drive
    Rear space is very limited though if the kids are taller 
  • I aint fitting my fat arse in a Fiat 500