Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Northampton Jam Session - Sunday 3rd December - 1 to 5pm

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6834

Ok, play in Open E - Will the PRS cope with that @Brocco?

Good youtube tutorial on how to play it -

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    adampeter said:
    Brocco said:
    Just wondering if any other "improvers" woukd be interested in a side-thread aimed at sharing knowledge and challenges on tracks agreed for the Northampton jam?
    yeah that would be of interest
    Personally i'm crapping myself thinking of standing up and playing in front of people i don't really know!!
    I go to pieces even when i play at home and sense someone is listening!!
    Hoping this will will get me to get over it.
    bizarrely i have no problem singing in front of people....go figure  :p

We'll all be in the same boat! I haven't played drums with others apart from the last Jam session. If we cock it it we'll carry on, but can always run through it again.

We could blindfold you if that will help - or make you face the wall Kurt Cobain style..

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    adampeter said:
    Brocco said:
    Just wondering if any other "improvers" woukd be interested in a side-thread aimed at sharing knowledge and challenges on tracks agreed for the Northampton jam?
    yeah that would be of interest
    Personally i'm crapping myself thinking of standing up and playing in front of people i don't really know!!
    I go to pieces even when i play at home and sense someone is listening!!
    Hoping this will will get me to get over it.
    bizarrely i have no problem singing in front of people....go figure  :p

We'll all be in the same boat! I haven't played drums with others apart from the last Jam session. If we cock it it we'll carry on, but can always run through it again.

We could blindfold you if that will help - or make you face the wall Kurt Cobain style..

that made me laugh.....yeah i will face one wall everyone else has got to face the other wall  =)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I've been chatting about this to @Alnico - @adampeter @mrkb ;

For some songs, we could do them "tuition" style - break them down a bit and work on them to get people comfy with them. Me and @Alnico can guide and we can do sections a few times to get them cracked. 

In my opinion this might be best for anyone who is really crapping themselves as it feels less like a performance and more like group work. 

We have plenty of time, I found at the Leicester Jam it took a lot less time to run through stuff so there's plenty of time to work on them. If anyone wants us to do that for any of the songs just shout and we can plan to do it then..
    I've been chatting about this to @Alnico - @adampeter @mrkb ;

For some songs, we could do them "tuition" style - break them down a bit and work on them to get people comfy with them. Me and @Alnico can guide and we can do sections a few times to get them cracked. 

In my opinion this might be best for anyone who is really crapping themselves as it feels less like a performance and more like group work. 

We have plenty of time, I found at the Leicester Jam it took a lot less time to run through stuff so there's plenty of time to work on them. If anyone wants us to do that for any of the songs just shout and we can plan to do it then..

Good idea - That certainly makes sense - as I said my aim for the day is to play the drums with real people - so I'm happy to do that in full songs and just tapping along at a slower speed while people run through bits.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • yeah sounds good @bridgehouse, tbh i just need to man up, if i fuck up so be it
    adampeter said:
    yeah sounds good @bridgehouse, tbh i just need to man up, if i fuck up so be it
    If we do it as more of a "how to play it" session then the fuck-ups will be part of the learning process and you get a chance to get it right.

Everyone fucks it up live at some point. It's part of the process.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    We also have the second room for people to run through bits with others either before or after a full run through if needed. Its a small enough number or us that theres not going to be a rigid running order.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    We also have the second room for people to run through bits with others either before or after a full run through if needed. Its a small enough number or us that theres not going to be a rigid running order.
    And it will be good to make sure the really inexperienced can get the most out of it...!
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I agree entirely with @Bridgehouse
    Let us know which ones you want to do like this and we'll work out the break-down for you.
    This way after a few goes at certain sections the actual song will play through much easier and be more fun.

Think of it like you would a driver getting to do a few laps of a circuit before he goes and races.

Same kind of thing.
    Alnico said:
    Let us know which ones you want to do like this and we'll work out the break-down for you.
    This way after a few goes at certain sections the actual song will play through much easier and be more fun.

Think of it like you would a driver getting to do a few laps of a circuit before he goes and races.

Same kind of thing.
    Bagsy Mercedes. Don't want a stinky Ferrari 
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    I was a little nervous ahead of the Leicester jam, but having attended, I can guarantee there will only be support and absolutely no judgement. Rest easy.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Alnico said:

Same kind of thing.
    Bagsy Mercedes. Don't want a stinky Ferrari 
    ..."Whass-a-matter-you.......'EY,...."
    Brocco said:
    I was a little nervous ahead of the Leicester jam, but having attended, I can guarantee there will only be support and absolutely no judgement. Rest easy.

That's right - its why I didn't invite Simon Cowell - its a few old(ish) blokes having a laugh and trying to justify to their wives why they have bought more gear (says the man whos just bought a drum kit)!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11775
    adampeter said:
    If it makes you feel better, a very very very ropey version of "Plug In Baby" where I took guitar/vocal duties at the Leicester jam was met with a gratifying and extremely generous round of applause from our fellow forumites!

However much you screw up I can guarantee I will do worse! ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    adampeter said:
    If it makes you feel better, a very very very ropey version of "Plug In Baby" where I took guitar/vocal duties at the Leicester jam was met with a gratifying and extremely generous round of applause from our fellow forumites!

However much you screw up I can guarantee I will do worse! ;)
    I like to think that there is a simple rule for Jam sessions:

Everyone started sometime. We all make mistakes. It takes guts to get up and play in front of others. No matter what you think, be polite, be encouraging and be kind. After all, it's how we'd all like to be treated when we have a go ourselves.
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    The extra room to practice really helped at Leicester. And having done Leicester I am far less nervous for this one despite the fact that I am bound to mess up the Live Forever solo. :)
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    By the way, I am not doing anything in altered tuning. 
    Just saying. 
    This guitar malarkey is hard enough without messing around with the tuning and having a whole other set of fingerings to learn!
    aord43 said:
    Just saying. 
    This guitar malarkey is hard enough without messing around with the tuning and having a whole other set of fingerings to learn!
    But by changing the tuning you can use a 1 finger barre chord - Keef Richards style. You can still solo in any tuning you fancy. That reminds me that a digitech trio+ might be useful on the day for looping backing stuff!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited November 2017
    aord43 said:
    Just saying. 
    You should try bass - we aren't allowed to use a capo or detune anything....!