Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Northampton Jam Session - Sunday 3rd December - 1 to 5pm

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    aord43 said:
    I was into the pa at one point. Sounded fine. 
    Thanks everyone by the way. Especially @mrkb for the organisation. It was good fun and nice to meet people again.
    Since then I've had a stressful few hours with broken Internet and problems to deal with at work. Thank god for mobile data! 
    I think you were through @impmann 's Sansamp Fly? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6810
    Did @Brocco get to crank the Matchless up to full volume in the other room?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    Thankfully I did get the chance, and even though it is my amp, I have to say it sounded incredible! Feel I have discovered my personal amp/guitar combination sweet spot.Worth attending the jam just for that!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Gorgeous amps.
    Deffo one of my faves.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    aord43 said:
    I was into the pa at one point. Sounded fine. 
    Thanks everyone by the way. Especially @mrkb for the organisation. It was good fun and nice to meet people again.
    Since then I've had a stressful few hours with broken Internet and problems to deal with at work. Thank god for mobile data! 
    I think you were through @impmann 's Sansamp Fly? 
    Er yes you're right.  But into the PA.  Not direct though, as you said.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    The decision to stay at home yesterday was not taken lightly.

I have Inflammatory Arthritis (What the docs previously thought was Lupus) and to cut a long and boring story short, my legs wouldn't work properly. I did try but I and my Strat fell down one flight at the top of 8 flights of stairs and I took that as a bad sign, so I didn't try the rest. A few of you have been to my place and you'll know what those stairs are like. I can attest to the strength of the new Fender USA Hard cases! The strat is fine. My bruises will go and I'm seeing the doc again this week.

What's not fine is my pride and it's hit me hard this time, to the extent that my closest friends have told me to see a Psych-doctor and I'm not arguing with them.
    If I'm honest I've allowed this to go on for far too long already. I'm not wired up correctly and I'm sick of watching myself short-circuit all the time.

I won't be involved in anything else for the near future. I'll be here most days and I'll still post but until I've got something to show for myself in terms of actual music and some mental health, I'll be over there in the corner where it's dark, trying to work out how the fuck to rewire my head so it'll work properly.

I'm really sorry I let people down again.

When I get back on my feet I'll do what I can.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Alnico said:

I have Inflammatory Arthritis (What the docs previously thought was Lupus) and to cut a long and boring story short, my legs wouldn't work properly. I did try but I and my Strat fell down one flight at the top of 8 flights of stairs and I took that as a bad sign, so I didn't try the rest. A few of you have been to my place and you'll know what those stairs are like. I can attest to the strength of the new Fender USA Hard cases! The strat is fine. My bruises will go and I'm seeing the doc again this week.

What's not fine is my pride and it's hit me hard this time, to the extent that my closest friends have told me to see a Psych-doctor and I'm not arguing with them.
    If I'm honest I've allowed this to go on for far too long already. I'm not wired up correctly and I'm sick of watching myself short-circuit all the time.

I won't be involved in anything else for the near future. I'll be here most days and I'll still post but until I've got something to show for myself in terms of actual music and some mental health, I'll be over there in the corner where it's dark, trying to work out how the fuck to rewire my head so it'll work properly.

You didn't let me down, chap. No need to apologise at all.

Get well soon.

No worries @Alnico - your health should always come first. You didn’t let us down. Concentrate your efforts on getting back to full health.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Thanks.
    I appreciate the comments.
    I'll do my best.
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    All the best @Alnico ;
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Alnico said:

Can only echo the other guys saying you didn't let anyone down @alnico and your health should always come first. :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...

A few post event thoughts and stats (I listened back through the recording today)

Running Order - 18 songs in three hours:-

1) Why Does it always rain on me (1) - Singer @Flink_Poyd

2) Why Does it always rain on me (2) - Singer @Flink_Poyd and @Impmann (Backing)

3) Champagne Supernova - Singer @impmann

4) Sunshine of your love (1) - Singer @Darthed1981

5) Sunshine of your love (2) - Singer @Darthed1981

6) Stay With Me (1) - Singer @Darthed1981

7) Stay With Me (2) - Singer @Darthed1981

8) Fortunate Son (1) - Singer @Darthed1981

9) Fortunate Son (2) - Singer @Darthed1981

10) Basket Case (1 of many attempts to start) - Singer @Impmann

11) Live Forever - Singer @Darthed1981

12-14) Ever Fallen in Love (Takes 1-3) - Singer @mrkb

15) Comfortably Numb - Singer @impmann

16 - 18) Tush - Singer @impmann

So a huge thanks to @impmann ;, @darthed1981 and @flink_poyd for ensuring we didn't have 3 hours of instrumentals and making sure there was a song structure for people to follow. Im sure @darthed1981 will be singing into his hairbrush in front of the mirror before the next one ;-) 

I can extract a MP3 of any of the recording that people want if you PM me - I wont put them out for public pleasure unless everyone on that track agrees to it.

Things to bring next time:- 

Music stands - helps when you're learning stuff from a chord chart

Lyric sheets - for the last minute stand ins to use (with notes on where intros and solos are)

General thought ands tips:-

1) when widdling/running through your riffs before a song, turn your guitar down - I noticed @impmann was good at that and it means less wasted time between songs.

2) Learn to listen to others - there was some great moments where harmony was grasped from the jaws of 'jazz' as everyone got their playing into the same groove. I need to learn to listen and react to the situation more and be less concerned with what Im playing (as I was reading the music notation) - keep the eye contact with others.

3) Bass players are useful! Listening back, a rock solid backing from the bass players (@bridgehouse, @impmann and @ttony ) meant there was always something for the guitarists to lock onto if they drifted.

4) Collaborate while you are waiting to play your song - @Brocco was teaching someone (@TADodger ??) how to play Stay with Me while the rest were watching @thorpyfx do his superb kit run through. That's a great way to work together in the second room to prepare for the next song.

5) If you want to join in a jam - it helps if you are familiar with the song structure before hand - use the Spotify playlist that was put together. Or it needs someone in the room to take the mic and shout out whats coming next or 'one more verse then a solo'. 

6) I think the more 'freeform jams' worked as a learning experience. The rhythmic aspect has a certain 'Doppler effect" TM @Pablo but that's how you learn to play with others, and making up a solo on the spot is tricky - but its a good experience. Im interested in peoples thoughts on how to make those better - I think only doing one song per session (so three in total) would make that a bit more useful - I think it was better than "Room 2" in Leicester, but Im interested in your feedback.

7) Finally - don't put a spare snare drum against the wall at the back of the room as it will rattle everytime a bass note is played and be picked up by the microphone constantly!

8) Everyone had a good time - even the nervous, as it was a great atmosphere. I hope everyone heard how even the experience players played bum notes (or even missed out an entire section of Comfortably numb) and laughed about it afterwards. No-one was a critic.

Right that's me done, Im looking forward to the Northern one in January next!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    You are being too polite about my woeful forgetful noise making into the mic - it wasn’t “singing”!!!

Yeah sorry about the bit missing from Comfy... blame the Day Nurse wearing off!!! But yes, you have got to laugh about it and laugh with it - and sometimes laugh at yourself. It’s all about fun.

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited December 2017
    Im glad I had a go at singing, it was a terrifying prospect but I did enjoy it. I have a new found respect for anyone who can either do it or has a go at singing. Its a lot different to playing guitar as it felt like all eyes were on me and I think the backup from @impmann helped as It gave me someone to lean on when it got a bit wayward. I think Ill listen to the recording before blurting out that I'll offer to sing again. 
    Now wheres that hairbrush?..............................
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27497
    mrkb said:

can extract a MP3 of any of the recording that people want if you PM me - I wont put them out for public pleasure unless everyone on that track agrees to it.

I'd like a copy of Fortunate Son that I bassed on?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    mrkb said:

can extract a MP3 of any of the recording that people want if you PM me - I wont put them out for public pleasure unless everyone on that track agrees to it.

I'd like a copy of Fortunate Son that I bassed on?

Sure, Was that the first or second run through - or did you do both?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    I played it twice.

How did the recording of the Thorpy demo turn out?    Worth putting up on the forum for all to see?
    TTony said:
    I played it twice.

How did the recording of the Thorpy demo turn out?    Worth putting up on the forum for all to see?

Theyre Ok - I have two MTS format vids - one of the amp overview, one of the pedals - but they're 1Gb in total - Im not sure how to share them (and theres a bit of @thorpyfx butt crack showing).
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1Gb probably needs reducing in size just a little bit ...

Can you save into a lower quality format?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    TTony said:
    1Gb probably needs reducing in size just a little bit ...

Can you save into a lower quality format?
    You want the Major's butt crack in a lower quality format?

Matron! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom