Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Stolen guitar in Cash Generator - this one's personal

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• on the plus side...he probably wont ask to borrow any of your guitars again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't see this ending well.  Nobody has twigged that if CC have the guitar up for sale for £200 then they likely bought it for £100, which means the friend is even, but Stu is down £100.  So the friend is unlikely to bring himself to pay Stu back because then he'll have spent £100 to own the guitar he didn't really want just for a few days.

If he'd just done the decent/sensible thing and handed the guitar back and got his £100 back none of this would have happened.  Who sells guitars to CC anyway?  A sure-fire way to get shafted on the price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    edited September 2017
    i'd still punch his lights out for putting you in this situation
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maybe the friend has bigger issues, I know its not your problem. But maybe tell your "friend" to just give you the £50 now and say no more about it, 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5551
    He has said that he had a funeral to go to in Glasgow and needed the money so sold the guitar. He could have asked me for his £100 back and I sell the guitar elsewhere, but he didn't.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Guy's a total chancer. I'd probably just write off the cash and rid myself of him at this point. Life's too short. 

edited September 2017
    Duplicate angry post
    I was out at a gig tonight with my girlfriend and got a Facebook message on the way home.
    He's transferred the £100 he's owe me via PayPal and apologising profusely, hoping we can still be mates because he 'thinks a lot of me and he feels like shit'.
    Fuck him. Done.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited September 2017
    That's good news, but it does sound that he must've had the money to be able to do this quickly if he was challenged about this situation...

Sounds to me that he knew full well what he was doing, but that doesn't really matter - you're not out of pocket anymore and sounds like you got market value for the guitar (?) so maybe best to just move on and forget about him. If he can take advantage like this once, he can do it again. I used to try to be mates with everyone and anyone but I've realised that there's too many dicks out there and now if someone is an arse I just stay clear of them. Life is indeed too short to let arseholes ruin it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStu said:
    I was out at a gig tonight with my girlfriend and got a Facebook message on the way home.
    He's transferred the £100 he's owe me via PayPal and apologising profusely, hoping we can still be mates because he 'thinks a lot of me and he feels like shit'.
    Fuck him. Done.
    Good idea.

Fool me once, shame on you
    Fool me twice, shame on me.
    Fender Fanboy
    Always looking for an excuse to buy another Stratocaster 

"So, no kidding, there I was, Clapton to my left, Hendrix to my right, me in the middle playing my 1943 Fender Les Paul." 
  • He sounds alright, he squared it with you so whats the problem
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    DiscoStu said:
    Fuck him. Done.
    I'd hate to be one his mates he doesn't think a lot of.
    When I asked him for the money on Wednesday night he said he only had 19p in his account. So either he's had to borrow the £100 or he's bullshitting me. I suspect the latter.
  • steersteer Frets: 1196
    Perhaps he sold another mates guitar that he borrowed to cash converters in order to pay you the £100?  =)
  • DiscoStu said:
    When I asked him for the money on Wednesday night he said he only had 19p in his account. So either he's had to borrow the £100 or he's bullshitting me. I suspect the latter.
    doesnt matter, he repaid you and apoligised,  he might be alright he might be a cnt,.  you can be friendly without having to be best mates. glad you got the money.. 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2611
    edited September 2017
    gubble said:

Interesting thread this one with some differing opinions. @discoStu would you mind if I used this thread in my next credit control meeting to get my team to discuss their thoughts on it?

Whilst I'm in complete agreement the mate this was sold to has been a complete idiot and not been a proper friend I've a few thoughts on this:

The 'contract' either verbal or agreed in writing by way of social media was to pay £200 for a guitar with a £100 deposit and paying the remaining balance at a later date.

I'm guessing there was no mention of Retention of Title during this? Meaning that the seller is still the lawful owner of the property until it has been paid for in full. Without this the seller would no longer own the item once it had been delivered. The buyer could therefore do whatever he wants with it including selling it on. The shop is currently the legal owner of the guitar and in my opinion are under no obligation to remove it from sale with the information provided on this forum.

The buyer owes the seller a debt. Which in theory could be repaid by repossessing the item however as the item no longer belongs to either of them this is impossible.

As already stated this would be a civil matter rather than a criminal matter. For £100 it really isn't worth taking them to court (I appreciate £100 is a significant amount of money to loose but in proceedings terms it's literally peanuts and your costs could outweigh this by a large magnitude).

Credit - no credit terms will have been agreed or implied in the agreement. For lots of boring reasons this is not a credit situation.

I doubt it's so clear cut. The actual contract is nowhere defined and would need to be inferred. Title would pass when the parties to the agreement intended it to pass. I think there is a reasonable argument that the offer being made and accepted here is to transfer ownership of the guitar when the buyer hands over £200. I suspect that's how most ordinary people would understand such an informal agreement between friends, and that might be enough to persuade a court that that's what the implied contract was.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    This is better than Perry Mason.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Sassafras said:
    This is better than Perry Mason.
    Heresy! \m/