Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• Is it about computers?
    Damn, I was going to use that shtick. :anguished: 

Going to the cinema always reminds me of why I don't go to the cinema very often. Fecking teenagers. :angry: 

Possible spoilers:

That aside a much, much better film than I'd predicted. Essentially most of but not the book in it's entirety ( expert advice from MrsTheWeary) thus very much leaving it open for a sequel/ part 2. 
    Good Pennywise but the increased use of CGI meant a bit less actor dependant, I thought.
    Over two hours but the length was justified, quite packed one way or another and all the kids did good. The aspects of adolescent sexuality handled well I thought, more difficult in film than in a novel maybe as you've got to manage having a girl as the sex interest but not make it too coy or too adult. 
    I thought there was a King cameo but I can't find that confirmed on google so mebbe it was just someone who looked a bit like him. 
    Was good. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It really has comedy elements?
    Yeh, definitely. 
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited September 2017
    I'm not a fan of jump scares....stick em up on a giant screen and that's a recipe for shit filled pants. I think i'll stick to Beauty & the Beast.
    Yeh, definitely. 
    It really has comedy elements?
    Yeh, definitely. 
    Disappointed to read this, I was hoping for a proper full on horror.  
    Yeh, definitely. 
    It really has comedy elements?
    Yeh, definitely. 
    Disappointed to read this, I was hoping for a proper full on horror.  
    Well it's by no means a comedy movie just has humourous elements. It's a 135 minute film so if it was nothing but frights and gore it would be quite dull IMHO. I think what I like about it ( and I really didn't think I would) is it isn't a horror genre movie, it's more story telling that happens to be horror. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1307
    Enjoyed it but thought it stretched a little long and didn't explain why the clown would scare them and not take them.

Never seen the original or read the book.

Some funny moments too, genuine laugh out loud stuff.  Stranger Things charm abounds but the "main" kid is the weakest actor and the show is stolen by his counterparts.
  • I saw it this eve and totally loved it, really well made especially the losers club, you cared for the characters, and pennywise was a great interpretation.... Hugely recommended
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    edited September 2017
    Damn, I thought it was a film about the cut and thrust of a modern corporate IT Department. I was looking forward to that.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2422
    sinbaadi said:
    Enjoyed it but thought it stretched a little long and didn't explain why the clown would scare them and not take them.

Never seen the original or read the book.

Some funny moments too, genuine laugh out loud stuff.  Stranger Things charm abounds but the "main" kid is the weakest actor and the show is stolen by his counterparts.
    Pennywise is going to be explained in chapter 2....
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I'm waiting for the 'prequel'.
  • We went to see it last night in iSense cinema. 

I did enjoy it. First proper horror movie in quite a while. I missed the mysterious feel that the book has - everything in the movie is put right out there - ''There's Pennywise and he will either eat you or kill you''.
    But! The Losers Club was portrayed great - actress playing Beverley was very pretty and the difficulty with sexual tension between teenagers was very well presented. The whole bunch felt like ''Stand by me'' by S.King which is a massive plus.

Strong 7/10. 
  • I couldn't sleep, so I just found the 90's version online, and watched it.  3+ hours long.

Tim Curry was the best thing about it, other than him, there was some seriously sucky acting in it.

Makes me want to go out and see the new version though......!
  • I was thinking of seeing it but I don't like jumpscares - it just makes for a boring film without any actual horror in it.

So, those who have seen it, how often does it do the, "quiet, quiet, quiet, LOUD WEIRD NOISE" thing? I'm not paying a lot of money just to see that shit. 
    I was thinking of seeing it but I don't like jumpscares - it just makes for a boring film without any actual horror in it.

So, those who have seen it, how often does it do the, "quiet, quiet, quiet, LOUD WEIRD NOISE" thing? I'm not paying a lot of money just to see that shit. 
    ......no, no, not at all.

Honest.

When you go, can you do me a favour and record yourself watching it?

(But seriously, yes it does. Lots of them)
  • FarleyUK said:
    I was thinking of seeing it but I don't like jumpscares - it just makes for a boring film without any actual horror in it.

Honest.

Bugger. 

It's just lazy horror - if you watch Ringu, there is two jumpscares in the whole film and yet it's absolutely truly scary, stays with you.

Jump scares are easy - it's lazy film making that plays on the fact that a loud noise following quiet *will* make anyone jump, but isn't actually scary. I don't think I'll bother until it's on dvd. 
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    FarleyUK said:

Honest.

That's unfair... Watch "The Conjouring" and then try to say IT had lots of quite quite loud noises moments... 

Not one noticable loud bang moment, and while there are some jump scares it's more than just soundtrack volume that does it... TPD watch the film and you'll be happier than this would suggest
    While IT certainly isn't as reliant on jump scares as other films, it still has quite a few - hence my response to the original question.

• FarleyUK said:

Honest.

Bugger. 

It's just lazy horror - if you watch Ringu, there is two jumpscares in the whole film and yet it's absolutely truly scary, stays with you.

Jump scares are easy - it's lazy film making that plays on the fact that a loud noise following quiet *will* make anyone jump, but isn't actually scary. I don't think I'll bother until it's on dvd. 
    Try watching ‘I Saw The Devil’.  Not a jump scare movie at all, but creepy as hell, and lingers in the mind. One of Korea’s best horror/thrillers. 

If you like that, try ‘The Man From Knowhere’.  No horror, just an action thriller, but a great watch’. 
  • i've not seen the new IT yet, but i remember the TV version had some really creepy moments in it, but i agree the ending was dogshit.

The Witch is the best modern horror i've seen in a long time, not amazing, but had a creepy vibe to it that got you on edge