Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Body wood affects tone

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    I'm not LOL'ing this any more as 3TS is gaining way too many Frets based on his (or her) reluctance to use anything other than psuedo-science to back up a BULLSHIT view that... and I quote... "no considerable energy is transferred from the string to the body". If you genuinely believe that then you are a fool.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30925
    impmann said:
    I'm not LOL'ing this any more as 3TS is gaining way too many Frets based on his (or her) reluctance to use anything other than psuedo-science to back up a BULLSHIT view that... and I quote... "no considerable energy is transferred from the string to the body". If you genuinely believe that then you are a fool.

I think we've firmly established that in 3TSB case, wooden heads transmit very little energy.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • There's a light drizzle now in Tarporley. Hopefully it won't last long....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    He's like the Emp of on-topic. It's hilarious!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Bidley said:
    Have you ever played a guitar?

I've asked him that question about twice so far, and am yet to receive an answer.

He'll probably say "Yes" now - but of course that could be just picking a guitar string once in a junk shop. His true motives and actual knowledge could be speculated about for hours.

Great fun though!

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    There's a light drizzle now in Tarporley. Hopefully it won't last long....
    Right homer. Stand in the corner ;-)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10455
    tFB Trader

Even with vintage pickups, becoming microphonic is a sign that they breaking down. Guitar pickups are expressly designed to not be microphonic!

When pickups were originally designed in the 1930s amplification was so low powered that microphonics were never an issue, thus pickups remained unpotted until modern amplification/stage volume levels in the 60/70s started to produce squeal. Even early Super Distortion DiMarzios were unpotted.

When manufacturers started to pot heavily, and even epoxy encapsulate, it was soon discovered that this produced a somewhat 'hi fi' tone that was not as pleasing to many as unpotted or more lightly potted pickups. So very few modern manufacturers make encapsulated pickups for that reason. If you totally remove the microphony you remove some of the 'harmonic content'.
    Being overly microphonic in an old pickup is the sign of a loose component, for example a base plate in a Tele, that does not usually require the natural microphonic nature of the pickup (that it possessed when new) to be messed with, it just involves locating the loose component and securing it. I know, I repair dozens of them. 
    Different pickups are designed (these days) to be more or less microphonic according to their purpose. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Lescaster said:
    I just want you all to know that I am so, so sorry.
    It's too late now, you've spawned an unstoppable monster.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Any updates from Tarporley?

edited September 2017
    Right Gassage, go and stand in the opposite corner. And do your shoe laces up!

And both you and Homer can write 50 lines for me, saying:
    I will not attempt to discuss meteorological phenomena in physics class. I know that discussion belongs in geography class, sir.
    Well apart from Kelvin-Helmholtz instability, that is.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    Any updates from Tarporley?
    Raining steadily at the moment....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm jacking in this teaching lark. Kids these days just don't seem to want to learn and pension and holidays don't justify the the hassle any more.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • why would the state of your erection affect the tone?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited September 2017
    Ravenous said:

By the way chaps, Mechanical impedance is a thing.  It's quite legitimate and nothing to do with rubber bridges.

It's a complex thing though. Just saying a high impedance prevents vibration is wrong - there will be a small amount of string energy transmitted to the body, those of us who actually play from time to time will have felt it.

crunchman said:
    I don't need to.  I'm a qualified Physics teacher. 

An ex physics teacher who apparently has never heard of mechanical impedance. Jesus! Or is Ravenous as mistaken as the publishers of those academic papers I cited? You say you don't teach any more. I get the feeling the last lesson you gave might well have been on the topic of 'Luminiferous aether'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017

Three-ColourSunburst said

Ax ex physics teach
    Right, please write out 50 lines for me:
    An ex-physics teacher
    An ex-physics teacher
    etc....

Which actually kind of describes me, now that I've jacked it in

• Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited September 2017
    Ravenous said:

By the way chaps, Mechanical impedance is a thing.  It's quite legitimate and nothing to do with rubber bridges.

It's a complex thing though. Just saying a high impedance prevents vibration is wrong - there will be a small amount of string energy transmitted to the body, those of us who actually play from time to time will have felt it.

Exactly, those papers I have cited all say much the same thing - that the high impedance of the bridge / body interface of an electric guitar means only a small amount of energy will be transmitted to the body by the string and visa versa. This is why an electric guitar has good sustain. In turn any 'resonances' in the body will also have only a small impact on the string, again due to the high impedance. Or at least that is what current academic theory and research  tells us, even if such things remain a mystery to pensioned-off ex physics teachers!
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Or is Ravenous as mistaken as the publishers of those academic papers I cited?

I know what mechanical impedance is. (I've only seen it covered at degree level so not really school physics.  Like electrical impedance it can be frequency dependent by the way.  Quite interesting really.)

You, on the other hand, probably heard of it for the first time in a googling session over the weekend.

Anyway you're learning lots of new words, and I'm finding lots of amusement, so we're both happy. :)

• Gassage said:
    crunchman said:
      I'm a qualified Physics teacher.  If I ever go back to teaching, I just hope you don't turn up in one of my classes.
    @Three-ColourSunburst ;

Think not! I'm just glad that I was never taught by a 'physics teacher' who had never heard of mechanical impedance! :o
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 202
    Think not! I'm just glad that I was never taught by a 'physics teacher' who had never heard of mechanical impedance! :o
    Dude, a few posts ago you thought that a guitarist could play notes faster than the sound from their amplifier could reach them.  The lack of self-awareness is startling, and I'm still not sure if this thread is a wind-up.  Poe's law springs to mind. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Well, it's not often I say this, but fuck this thread....

I need to go and play my non resonant waste of money strat.

And check the Met Office reports for Tarporley. Hurricane Homer looks set for the night.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom