Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Body wood affects tone

What's Hot

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited September 2017
    Three-ColourSunburst said:

the high impedance of the bridge / body interface of an electric guitar means only a small amount of energy will be transmitted to the body by the string and visa versa.
    High relative to what? There's definitely some energy transfer and some resonance created by that.

Does the impedance vary with a fixed tailpiece vs floating trem etc? Would that make any difference to the tone?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    edited September 2017
    @Three-ColourSunburst just what the hell are you talking about ?
    When did crunchman imply that he didn't know about mechanical impedance ?

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but based on your posts I would guess that you are neither very educated, nor have a successful job - or a job at all more realistically - nor any friends. And you probably don't play the guitar either.

I understand you're desperate for attention, but you may find that *not* insulting everyone that disagrees with you and selectively quoting them would help you with all the above.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyhow, after all the fun of trying to score points off each other. Why can't we just focus on the topic in hand and evaluate the relevance or otherwise of the material I have found on this topic? I don't about everyone else, but I would really like to get to understand the topic properly.

Ravenous, yes, lots of this is new to me, and I would have hoped that those with more knowledge might have commented on those papers I have found in a more constructive way than has been the general case so far. You seem to know what you are talking about, so what are your views on the significance of mechanical impedance to the 'tone wood' debate? Do you see any merit in anything I have said, and if not, why not? Are those authors wrong in suggesting that the high impedance of the bridge / body interface in a solid body electric guitar is likely to limit any interaction between string and body wood?

Thanks!
    Gassage said:
    Well, it's not often I say this, but fuck this thread....

I need to go and play my non resonant waste of money strat.

And check the Met Office reports for Tarporley. Hurricane Homer looks set for the night.
    LOL'd
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30925
    Anyhow, after all the fun of trying to score points off each other. Why can't we just focus on the topic in hand and evaluate the relevance or otherwise of the material I have found on this topic

Because you're talking complete bollocks.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:

Because you're talking complete bollocks.
    Have another LOL
  • impmann said:
    I quote... "no considerable energy is transferred from the string to the body". If you genuinely believe that then you are a fool.

Seeing that quote came straight from the academic paper below, I see little reason to doubt it. Well, less reason than I have to doubt the claims that 'tone wood' can only be understood by sniffing it and regarding it as being something 'spiritual' and beyond the realms of science. ;)

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/dav/aaua/1999/00000085/00000001/art00020

• Lescaster said:
    I just want you all to know that I am so, so sorry.
    Given a LOL buy a virtual hug and hot beverage would have been better. I bet when you log on here and look at your notifications you shed a little tear now.

Of course, this isn't helping as it's another of the f*****s. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lescaster said:
    Given a LOL buy a virtual hug and hot beverage would have been better. I bet when you log on here and look at your notifications you shed a little tear now.

I do wish there was a way of unsubscribing from your own threads....I regret starting the "show us your pedalboard" thread....sure it's a nice thread and great to see everyone's pedals...but blimey the notifications are a pain.
    edited September 2017
    Lescaster said:
    It's not your fault.

Johan Segeborn has too much time on his hands. He started it. He should finish it by completing his PhD in 'the tonal impact of various electric guitar construction methods'. He's written papers on loads of other stuff.
    edited September 2017
    Wait - this academic paper says that the (fingerboard) wood doesn't make much difference
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/275241621_Modal_parameter_variability_in_industrial_electric_guitar_making_Manufacturing_process_wood_variability_and_lutherie_decisions

....but this one suggests the wood used does make a difference:
    "When playing an electric guitar unplugged the tonal qualities of the wood are apparent as the ears perceive what the microphone “hears”."
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwibv9P1ja_WAhXFORoKHcAZCX0QFggrMAA&url=http://www.stormriders.com/guitar/telecaster/guitar_wood.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGFsK_bbsF1xJ6wHvCZ3O9kH1vLXg

...and this one:
    This study examined the timbre of tones produced by two guitars of identical
    construction but different woods, maple and mahogany. The timbres were compared by
    analyzing the differences in the amplitudes of harmonics produced by each wood. It was found
    that the maple guitar had more harmonics for the low E string, the mahogany had more
    harmonics for the D string, and neither guitar clearly had more harmonics overall for the high E.
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjysKzYj6_WAhXEPxoKHXICDHkQFghZMAk&url=http://faculty.tamuc.edu/cbertulani/cab/papers/SelfThesis.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEtAqg-te5IoO5RneW0OlrkCe03NA

Now I'm really confused. Does it make a difference or not?

• MartinB said:
    Dude, a few posts ago you thought that a guitarist could play notes faster than the sound from their amplifier could reach them.  The lack of self-awareness is startling, and I'm still not sure if this thread is a wind-up. 
    Jesus, I was just trying to throw in an obvious joke to try and keep things lighthearted and keep this thread from becoming a total lynch mob.

Perhaps those who have nothing better to say than 'You are talking bollocks' would be far happier if they didn't even look at the thread anymore and instead watched Chapper's 'proof' of tone wood video or something, if that brings them comfort.

I think this is a fascinating topic and I have really tried to find some credible research that might throw light on it. If this has challenged some peoples' faith in the magic of 'tone wood', tough, but I am just reporting - as best I can - on what I have found.

One way or another I have found this whole discussion to be enlightening, although I think I may have learned more about the way faith and magical thinking are impervious to reason (and about the mob-rule mentality of forums) than the definitive answer to the 'tone wood' debate. I was hoping that some with real expertise would comment on the papers I found. I guess that was too much to hope for!

Now, does anyone have anything constructive to add to the debate?

Cheers!
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Well this has all been rather entertaining so far!

I'm now wondering if I have missed out having spent the last 25 years buying guitars based on how they look and feel, and then just getting on and playing the damn things?

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10456
    tFB Trader

dbphoto said:
    Well this has all been rather entertaining so far!

I'm now wondering if I have missed out having spent the last 25 years buying guitars based on how they look and feel, and then just getting on and playing the damn things?

Have a wisdom
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Back home now. Dull still but no longer raining....
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    That paint hasn't dried yet either
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    NelsonP said:

....but this one suggests the wood used does make a difference:
    "When playing an electric guitar unplugged the tonal qualities of the wood are apparent as the ears perceive what the microphone “hears”."
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwibv9P1ja_WAhXFORoKHcAZCX0QFggrMAA&url=http://www.stormriders.com/guitar/telecaster/guitar_wood.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGFsK_bbsF1xJ6wHvCZ3O9kH1vLXg

Funnily enough that one came up the other day and 3sc seemed to think it proved his point at the time.  (Whatever his point was on that day.)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017

Ravenous said:

Funnily enough that one came up the other day and 3sc seemed to think it proved his point at the time.  (Whatever his point was on that day.)

...which is probably because, that same study also said, "Analysis of the data shows that in an electric guitar the body wood type does not contribute significantly to the sound of the amplified instrument."

Which is a little misleading as they never actually amplified it. What the study actually appears to say is that a microphone was able to pick up differences in the harmonic response. But a pickup wasn't. And it didn't propose any hypothesis about why that might be.

• DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    So by the logic displayed here if you hold the guitar upright by the upper horn and play an open e then you should feel no vibration through the body... However this is not the case...
  • Lescaster said:

Thanks, I do. I feel like this post should now be stickied in a kind of 'there be beasties here' seen on old maps kind of way.