Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New string concept: in-tune bends

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• good, not if they could make the output signal from each string identical that would just finish it all off
    It's possible to get pretty close with setup and pickup height already, assuming adjustable pole pieces and broadly evenly tensioned strings.

I usually set pickup height by ear and by feel, but if there are adjustable pole pieces I've sat with the guitar DI'd into my computer and used a level meter in a DAW, fine adjusting with a screwdriver until the strings are all pretty even within the realms of a moderately strong picked note. You'll always be able to get a slightly louder note out of the bigger strings, assuming roughly equal tension strings, but it's not impossible to get a pretty even output for general playing if there are adjustable pole pieces - no need for special strings
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like the idea, but I've got a whammy pedal in the AF2 so the super-science strings are redundant to me. In fact it would make my set-up less flexible. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The warble you get when you hit a 5th fret harmonic on the G, fret the 15th fret on the high E and floor the Floyd Rose wouldn't work any more:(
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    DLM said:
    Does anybody who's been playing more than a year actually have a problem with hitting pitch on a bend?

Slash has been at it rather longer than a year...

digitalscream said:
    Also, given that the instrument is by definition not intonated 100% correctly anyway yet almost everybody rejects hardly anyone can afford "true-temperament" fretwork, who cares?
    FTFY
    People can afford 4K plus on a les Paul I don’t think it’s the lack of cash that’s the issue

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    John_A said:
    The warble you get when you hit a 5th fret harmonic on the G, fret the 15th fret on the high E and floor the Floyd Rose wouldn't work any more:(

@John_A That one was new on me. I'll have to try it on my other guitars, but it didn't "skronk" for me as nicely as the good-old-fashioned EVH elephant. :(

Cabicular said:
    DLM said:
    digitalscream said:
    Also, given that the instrument is by definition not intonated 100% correctly anyway yet almost everybody rejects hardly anyone can afford "true-temperament" fretwork, who cares?
    FTFY
    People can afford 4K plus on a les Paul I don’t think it’s the lack of cash that’s the issue

Perhaps not solely, @Cabicular. People who drop €4K+ on an LP often want a Gibson. Gibson don't do TT fretwork. And their buyers are probably more worried about the hide glue and the length of the neck tenon than the intonation...

But my point was that the only brand I can think of that offer TT frets on "semi-affordable" stock guitars is VGS.

Even that said, this is still three grand:

https://cdn.korn.eu/pictures/product/400/226792.jpg

Otherwise you're looking at a custom build (if the builder will even work with TT, *strandberg is one that will), or a retrofit, which is really pricy...

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited October 2017
    DLM said:
    John_A said:

@John_A That one was new on me. I'll have to try it on my other guitars, but it didn't "skronk" for me as nicely as the good-old-fashioned EVH elephant.

I've never found anywhere to throw the elephant in to a song, the 'warbly G' I can squeeze in inappropriately anywhere   But the elephant wouldn't work either which is another reason in-tune bends are out for me, who needs pedal steel impersonations when you can have an elephant?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    primarily about whammy bar usage as far as I understand - YouTube demo by Phil Hilbourne to demonstrate linked below

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    edited October 2017
    John_A said: who needs pedal steel impersonations when you can have an elephant?
    If ever a post was worthy of a Wisdom...

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I’m on the mailing list as they do seem to be intriguing, what they will be like on a non locking system would be interesting to see 
  • mynamesnotbobmynamesnotbob Frets: 114
    edited October 2017
    From a guitars point of view it's great, but most people have no sense if something is in tune or not anyway when listening - certainly not to the level these strings provide I've never heard of people complaining that whilst everything was perfect the slight dissonance caused by half a second of whammy bar usage hidden in a mix really ruined it for them
  • From a guitars point of view it's great, but most people have no sense if something is in tune or not anyway when listening - certainly not to the level these strings provide I've never heard of people complaining that whilst everything was perfect the slight dissonance caused by half a second of whammy bar usage hidden in a mix really ruined it for them
    -watch the Phil Holbourne video a few posts up. it's not just about having a slight warble that's in tune---you can slide full chords around. Definitely not something that would be hidden in a mix.