Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender amps why the love??

What's Hot
191011121315»

Comments

• Supersonic 100 paired with a TSL100.

pretty much the thickest of modern high gain tones, from two amps that apparently won't do high gain. 

Prosonics can slaughter Boogies for high gain too, I had a red prosonic head on loan for a while, it had more girth and gain than the 2 channel rectifiers I had at the time. I've had all the high gain amps at some point and nothing touches the prosonic. I play in drop C, no lead guitar, all just rhythm and breakdown stuff.

my dream rig for heavy would be a Prosonic head into a couple of Mesa vertical 212s. Once my new band is gigging, that's what I'll get!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Katatonia good for dynamic songs and some lovely vocal arrangements.

• " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    What fender did Jack White use on Elephant? I like that tone.

I think that was a Deluxe Reverb, it is a good sound, although he uses a Big Muff, POG 2 and an MXR Micro Amp. 
  • ICBM said:
    Marshall said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P8dGh1iEmCY   Obviously live and 1970, and if Santana ain't your kind of thing then never mind, but that's a 'stack' of Fender Twins and inmho an incredible and proper unadulterated  tone…
    I'm not sure the amps were unadulterated though :). I seem to remember his Twins were modded (possibly by César Diaz, I'm not sure) to give more gain. I don't think you can get that much gain out of a stock Twin even fully cranked and standing right in front of it with an SG. It is a great tone though! Better than his later over-compressed all-mid Boogie tone.
    Touché!! There is indeed much discussion on the alleged 'mod' though never have been able to definitively get to the bottom of what exactly it was and of course Santana himself is a hopeless source on such matters..couldn't agree more re: later tones - would go as far as to say it wasn't long after this concert (a year or two or so?) that his 'tone' began to take a looong slide downhill :( do still like his sound on Borboletta and Caravanserai, but those first 3 albums, hard to beat...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest

• MarshallMarshall Frets: 362
    edited September 2017
    Marshall said:
    Marshall said:

Now its all Scar Symmetry and Meshuggah, Periphery and The Haunted. 

Well thats the issue right there, if you walked into a guitar shop and said I am into those bands and they tried to sell you a Fender leave the shop fast. Vintage voiced fenders don't have the high mids for this sort of sound never mind the drive or power supply to hold it together at volume
    Right, I know my tones at least the type I like, but are there no modern fenders? 
    Or are they all tweedy voiced things?

This is less of an amp issue than a 'music genre taste' thing no?! The really big Fenders have more than enough muscle/volume/stage presence to project and deafen the audience in any sized venue and used with the requisite pedal combination for your genre requirements will happily do so all night long!! But this may not be why most people who love fenders do so. I think that's probably got more to do with the harmonic range/variety achievable at many different volumes depending on the model in question that is what appeals to so many people.

But headroom is a major consideration to countless gigging professionals which is why twins and other big fenders are one of THE biggest names in 'The Business' to this day and won't be changing any time soon....

Looking at your particular taste this link to classic  punk band Slaves will have no more appeal than any other, however it serves to illustrate my point: guitarist Laurie Vincent's main live rig consists of 2 'modern' Bassbreaker 45s supplemented with a Bass amp and a smaller combo to fill out the other frequencies....

Duh, I posted a YT link from when Laurie was still using his Selmer and others - here's a more up to date gig with the Bassbreakers....Yes, I'm a muppet!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYA0h5NQbyY

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 202
    Isn't the Bassbreaker 45 about as Marshally as you can get from a Fender though?  Maybe not an obvious example of Fender sound.  
  • MartinB said:
    Isn't the Bassbreaker 45 about as Marshally as you can get from a Fender though?  Maybe not an obvious example of Fender sound.  
    Quite possibly,  it was more by way of response to professorben's question "are there no modern Fenders?"

• Liked this ;)

• ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    edited October 2017
    @professorben I dont know man. You’ve laughed at and dismissed lazy j’s fender variants here often without probably having ever played one. I think you just don’t like hype, hence your question. But if metal’s your thing, I don’t know what you really expect to learn here. Like someone said, apple to oranges. The problem with fenders is, due to popularity and profit margins there have been so many variants, which eventually vary in quality. It’s like certain years of wine are better than others. Some have no mids, some have a lot of mids. Good Fenders are gonna be clean or have bluesy gain. But will rarely get that metal gain without pedals. I would suggest go to the store and try them out? And if the factory amps don’t do it for ya, maybe some boutiques might be better...
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 130
    Marshall said:
    Right. 
    In the interests of education and all. 

Show me your great Fender tones!!!

link me some examples of what you all think are awesome Fender tones so that I can see if it's something I'd like to go further to check out. 

I not so arrogant (yet) that I don't appreciate that you lot have good ears and that I must be missing something. 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P8dGh1iEmCY   Obviously live and 1970, and if Santana ain't your kind of thing then never mind, but that's a 'stack' of Fender Twins and inmho an incredible and proper unadulterated  tone...
    Thanks for posting that! made my morning! Interesting to see some of the Santana 3 songs performed without Neal Schon.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MarshallMarshall Frets: 362
    john_r said:
    Marshall said:
    Right. 
    In the interests of education and all. 

Show me your great Fender tones!!!

link me some examples of what you all think are awesome Fender tones so that I can see if it's something I'd like to go further to check out. 

I not so arrogant (yet) that I don't appreciate that you lot have good ears and that I must be missing something. 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P8dGh1iEmCY   Obviously live and 1970, and if Santana ain't your kind of thing then never mind, but that's a 'stack' of Fender Twins and inmho an incredible and proper unadulterated  tone...
    Thanks for posting that! made my morning! Interesting to see some of the Santana 3 songs performed without Neal Schon.
    Honoured to make anyone’s day ;) quite agree re: the interest factor, it’s a bit of a special snapshot of their early live history that’s sadly hard to find at least in decent quality...

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I have the same question but with Marshalls, I like some Marshall tones, but they are all a bit average.

I much prefer Fender and Vox amps and have noticed that most of the bands I like also use Fender and Vox. I wonder how much of a coincidence that is? 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3873
    I much prefer Fender and Vox amps and have noticed that most of the bands I like also use Fender and Vox. I wonder how much of a coincidence that is? 
    None. This is how our tone preferences are usually formed. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom