Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender amps why the love??

What's Hot
professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
edited September 2017 in Amps
I'm obviously in the minority around there parts, in that I can't stand F type amps.

I've only tried a couple but brittle, piercing, farty and bland would be the watchwords.

It's plain that others get on very well with them but I don't see it.

Twin with red knobs
Bassbreaker 18/30
Performer 1000
Princeton 
Hot Rod deluxe
Hot Rod deville
Blues junior 

Them ones I've tried  

How are you guys getting good sounds from them??
" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 1. Get a twin. 
    2. Set everything to 5. 
    3. Enjoy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • (In all seriousness, my twin outdid the matchless in studio recently. £400 > £3000)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 1. Get a twin. 
    2. Set everything to 5. 
    3. Enjoy. 

Hmmm I tried a twin.

Really really glassy and f all drive.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • (In all seriousness, my twin outdid the matchless in studio recently. £400 > £3000)

Is 5 not insanely loud?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • In fairness, I have the 1994 only anomaly Twin amp (evil twin). Drive channel on that is spectacular. 

Is 5 not insanely loud?
    Should have said, “except for volume”! Mines 100w, so 3 is gig volume. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In fairness, I have the 1994 only anomaly Twin amp (evil twin). Drive channel on that is spectacular. 

Right ok, what's the difference?
    The two I tried were a one with red knobs and a silver one from the 70's 

Right ok, what's the difference?
    The two I tried were a one with red knobs and a silver one from the 70's 

@ICBM will explain this far more articulately than I. All I know is that it sounds wonderful. Clean channel, drive channel, and a (utterly wonderful) inbtween gain push-me-pull-you channel. Best £400 I ever spent. 
  • Blues deluxe breaks nicely. You’d maybe like those. 
  • Supersonics and Prosonics have devastating gain 

prosonic is one of my favourite amps 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    Totally different circuits, basically. The confusion is that they're all called "Fender Twin" - they may as well be made by different amp companies.

They did actually make the Evil Twin - which even more confusingly does not say that anywhere on it, only 'Twin Amp' - for longer than just 1994, but they are certainly rare. I agree with Gav that they're great-sounding amps - in my opinion the very best modern Fender amp, especially on that yellow 'crunch' channel.

If you don't get on with Fenders, there's nothing wrong with that - it's a taste thing and difficult to quite put a finger on sometimes. Personally I cannot stand any Dr.Z amp I've ever heard, but they seem to be quite popular and highly-rated...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• If you’re after drive and ever get the chance to try a Tonemaster, you’ll be happy. What an amp that is. Definitely #1 on the amps-I’d-love list. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    If you’re after drive and ever get the chance to try a Tonemaster, you’ll be happy. What an amp that is. Definitely #1 on the amps-I’d-love list. 
    You will also need a very big house a long way from any other house, and/or extremely understanding family and neighbours :).

They sound only average at sensible volumes, but fantastic when pushed hard. The problem is that that doesn't happen until the master volume is up to about 4, at which point it's as loud as a jet engine. I found it was best to think of it not as a channel-switching amp, but as a non-MV amp with a boost channel...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1635
    ICBM said:
    Totally different circuits, basically. The confusion is that they're all called "Fender Twin" - they may as well be made by different amp companies.

They did actually make the Evil Twin - which even more confusingly does not say that anywhere on it, only 'Twin Amp' - for longer than just 1994, but they are certainly rare. I agree with Gav that they're great-sounding amps - in my opinion the very best modern Fender amp, especially on that yellow 'crunch' channel.

If you don't get on with Fenders, there's nothing wrong with that - it's a taste thing and difficult to quite put a finger on sometimes. Personally I cannot stand any Dr.Z amp I've ever heard, but they seem to be quite popular and highly-rated...

You forgot Blackstars mate! (no such thing as bad publicity.)

Dave.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • See this might be the issue, I've never tried one at 'loud' settings. 

• ecc83 said:
    ICBM said:

You forgot Blackstars mate! (no such thing as bad publicity.)

Dave.

I'd have a BS over a Fender any day. 
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    If you’re after drive and ever get the chance to try a Tonemaster, you’ll be happy. What an amp that is. Definitely #1 on the amps-I’d-love list. 
    You will also need a very big house a long way from any other house, and/or extremely understanding family and neighbours :).

They sound only average at sensible volumes, but fantastic when pushed hard. The problem is that that doesn't happen until the master volume is up to about 4, at which point it's as loud as a jet engine. I found it was best to think of it not as a channel-switching amp, but as a non-MV amp with a boost channel...
    That’s interesting - I’ve only ever used one in studio where pushing was perfectly acceptable; hadn’t considered that normal volumes might be an issue. We borrowed the guitarists in Forward Russia’s for recording back in my Minnaars days, and I must’ve offered to buy it about ten times since then. 
  • One of the worst amp I've ever owned was a fender blues junior, talk about a bag o shite !! Would love to try a super reverb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Horses or courses. You don't Djent through a Tweed Delexe... and many Beatles classics wouldn't sound all that through a driven peavey 6505l...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I got a brilliant sound from my old Performer 1000.

me:              "any luck with that commission sale?"
    guitar shop: "yup, cash waiting next time you drop in"

....music to my ears.

only problem was having to add a little 'drive' to go fetch the cash.To be fair, it had a good clean sound, oh and it could heat up a cold room like nothing else. That was about it.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'