1980 Greco EGF1200 Super Real Les Paul '50s makeover.

What's Hot
jumping@shadowsjumping@shadows Frets: 1277
edited September 2017 in Guitar
Hi all, as some of you may know I restore vintage '50s/'60s Gibson guitars, with a particular focus on '50s Burst conversions, where I find trashed '52-'56 P90 goldtop Les Pauls and rebuild and refinish them to exact '59 PAF sunburst Standard spec. 
While I have a revolving door of enviable vintage Les Paul's in my workshop (current line up is a flamed out '52, incredible 8lb flamed out late '56 factory stoptail, a '60 Burst amongst others..), I don't actually own a guitar of my own to play! 
I have minimal budget for something as frivolous as a guitar for myself, plus I'm a massive nerd so needed something that satisfies my geekery, so I decided to seek out an extremely rare and highly revered top end '80 Greco EGF1200 LP replica.
While Greco are far less known than same era Tokai, those who are lucky enough to own one of the 500 or so 1200's hand built between '79-80, absolutely rave about them, and while the spec is funky compared to the late '50s Std it was built to emulate, it does have a Braz board, old Honduran body and DRY Z PAFs made with NOS '50s plain enamel wire.
To cut a long story short, I took a punt on a tatty example with severely cracked top veneer, but mostly intact including the DRY Z and set about making it over with a '50s correct aniline refinish.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jumping@shadowsjumping@shadows Frets: 1277
    edited September 2017

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • First observations were the top carve is fabulous, and the neck lovely and chunky, and the DRY Z are truly remarkable, but the split veneer had to go! I assumed I'd find a two piece plain top beneath, and it initially appeared to have a slighly off-centre seam when the first chunk of the very thick cross banded laminate came away, but further work revealed a 5 piece block board.
    I decided to see what I could do with what I had, and set about evening out the pieces by sanding and bleaching, and it ended up looking pretty good:

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Bookmarked, I love threads like this, looking forward to see how it goes @jumping@shadows ; =)
  • I toyed with bursting it as it stood and perhaps blending the seams with a wider burst shading, or shooting it translucent cherry, but I was feeling ambitious so decided to fit a much thinner 0.6mm Eastern Maple flame veneer with a Wacky Races style improvised vacuum bag press, and I'm glad I made the effort :) 

• 0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I used pure nitro and aniline dyes, so the finish will cure incredibly thin and hard and fade like a real '50s LP Std, and while I'd usually do some deliberate fading before assembly, as this is my own guitar I'll complete the process and let it fade naturally, and will add weather checking and playwear in due course. 
  • eSully said:
    Bookmarked, I love threads like this, looking forward to see how it goes @jumping@shadows ; =)
    Thanks eSully ;) 
  • I'll be polishing out the finish over the weekend then will assemble and let it cure awhile, and am fully expecting a guitar to rival my golden era Gibsons for vibe and looks at a tiny fraction of the value. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3091
    Nice interesting post, enviable skills, loving the colours in that burst......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• photekphotek Frets: 1470
    Lovely! Agreed about the DRY Z's, fantastic pickups!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14671
    tFB Trader
    You are obviously a very talented guy - looks great and the story via the pics is interesting

just wondering what value you could place on such a guitar if ever sold - add up your time etc, let alone materials etc and I dare say it is not a good return on your own involvement  But it looks  a very special guitar and I dare say based on looks and performance it will out pace many of the LP's with a more famous brand name
  • Glad you found one, hope you got a deal. You just missed my EGF850 on ebay. 

Looks good , nice work. 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3308
    tFB Trader
    I'd take a vntage mij over any modern gibbo, i've also had a egf 1000 Greco which is the model below this one
    Only difference are the pickups

Great work Yukki
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • it looks  a very special guitar and I dare say based on looks and performance it will out pace many of the LP's with a more famous brand name
    Indeed - I’d definitely fancy its chances against a Terry Morgan @Bridgehouse? (Thought you’d like the tag... :))
  • it looks  a very special guitar and I dare say based on looks and performance it will out pace many of the LP's with a more famous brand name
    Indeed - I’d definitely fancy its chances against a Terry Morgan @Bridgehouse? (Thought you’d like the tag... :))
    I wish I could spray finishes like that... and so does Terry ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You are obviously a very talented guy - looks great and the story via the pics is interesting

just wondering what value you could place on such a guitar if ever sold - add up your time etc, let alone materials etc and I dare say it is not a good return on your own involvement  But it looks  a very special guitar and I dare say based on looks and performance it will out pace many of the LP's with a more famous brand name
    Thanks for the positive comments :)
    This was just for fun for myself, and I didn't really have value or resale in mind in this instance, but as an EGF1200 will run to €2500/$3k if you can find one, and I paid significantly less than that, and arguably improved it with a thinner, better looking veneer and a pure nitro refinish, I'd say to the guy looking for one of these extremely rare guitars, it'll be very attractive :)
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3690
    That is some beautiful work there. I really respect people with your level of craftsmanship.

One thing though, you put a value of around 2500-3000 Euros on an EGF1200 but you have shown it to be a five piece blockboard body with a veneer top, so nothing like the guitar it is purportedly emulating.

I'm interested to know, why the value?

Is it simply down to rarity?

Trying not to be rude, but It looks pretty cheaply made for that sort of valuation.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom