1980 Greco EGF1200 Super Real Les Paul '50s makeover.

What's Hot

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3308
    tFB Trader
    Go onto Japan guitars website and ask, they all go for silly money imo, most of them are fairly rare

The only difference between the 850 upwards are pickups, the 1200 had
    dry z which are the most sought after 
    You might get lucky with a solid cap but you'll pay for it

Most have veneers and 2 piece backs with braz boards 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Neil said:
    That is some beautiful work there. I really respect people with your level of craftsmanship.

One thing though, you put a value of around 2500-3000 Euros on an EGF1200 but you have shown it to be a five piece blockboard body with a veneer top, so nothing like the guitar it is purportedly emulating.

I'm interested to know, why the value?

Is it simply down to rarity?

Trying not to be rude, but It looks pretty cheaply made for that sort of valuation.

The value comes from the rarity of only an estimated 500 produced, and the fact they're truly hand made as CNC was only introduced in '81 iirc, and the fact that they are universally revered as being, really, really good sounding guitars.
    While the multipiece top isn't well suited to a translucent finish, any '50s Gibson Goldtop you might lust after will have anywhere from one to five pieces of mismatched maple under the gold, without one iota of effect on the sound or performance, and at the most fundamental level, you're getting a 40 odd year old, hand made guitar constructed with top class timbers (unlike any £6k True Historic '59 I might add!), and fabulous PAF voiced pickups, so I certainly see value- plus I paid about a third of market due to the veneer issues :+1:  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3690
    Neil said:
    That is some beautiful work there. I really respect people with your level of craftsmanship.

One thing though, you put a value of around 2500-3000 Euros on an EGF1200 but you have shown it to be a five piece blockboard body with a veneer top, so nothing like the guitar it is purportedly emulating.

I'm interested to know, why the value?

Is it simply down to rarity?

Trying not to be rude, but It looks pretty cheaply made for that sort of valuation.

The value comes from the rarity of only an estimated 500 produced, and the fact they're truly hand made as CNC was only introduced in '81 iirc, and the fact that they are universally revered as being, really, really good sounding guitars.
    While the multipiece top isn't well suited to a translucent finish, any '50s Gibson Goldtop you might lust after will have anywhere from one to five pieces of mismatched maple under the gold, without one iota of effect on the sound or performance, and at the most fundamental level, you're getting a 40 odd year old, hand made guitar constructed with top class timbers (unlike any £6k True Historic '59 I might add!), and fabulous PAF voiced pickups, so I certainly see value- plus I paid about a third of market due to the veneer issues :+1:  
    Thanks for the info - very illuminating.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Watching with interest. Love these threads!
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6302
    Saw this yesterday, and it's already looking good. Might have a thinner veneer than the original, but there's a very nice 3D figuring going on. Sure it'll be (another) stunner.
  • RebarRebar Frets: 138
    Fantastic thread on one of the most sought after MIJ LPs ever produced. I shall be following with great interest in how this one turns out.
  • jumping@shadowsjumping@shadows Frets: 1277
    edited October 2017
  • And here it is after fading and assembly, ready to be played awhile before I add weather checking and realistic wear throughout :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7867
    edited October 2017
    Cant see pics, care to post a link?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14671
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  that looks mighty fine - and based on that pic alone I've seen many LP's that don't capture the vibe of your 'replica' - a total credit to you - update us after the 'vos/relic' treatment accordingly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lovely
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm happy to report it's lost about 6oz, feels livelier and infinitely more accurate to a vintage original, and looks absolutely INSANE in person, with a totally authentic '50s Burst vibe and deep reactive flame- I couldn't be happier! 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    That looks exceptional! 
  • RebarRebar Frets: 138
    That looks superb and is a credit to you Sir! 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Looks fantastic.  Had and EGF850 once which was a great guitar.  
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6154
    Beautiful work.
  • @guitars4you @JezWynd  @John_A  @Rebar @richardhomer  @iseverynamegone  Thanks guys! No matter how many old Les Paul's I restore, the aesthetic impact of a dead nuts vintage burst finish is almost overpowering in person, as it's so iconic and deeply branded on my mind's eye, I can't help but be amazed :+1: 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    If you ever sell it give me a shout :)
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10381
    Fantastic job.You're very skilled.
    Laugh, love, live, learn.