1980 Greco EGF1200 Super Real Les Paul '50s makeover.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14671
    tFB Trader
    @guitars4you @JezWynd  @John_A  @Rebar @richardhomer  @iseverynamegone  Thanks guys! No matter how many old Les Paul's I restore, the aesthetic impact of a dead nuts vintage burst finish is almost overpowering in person, as it's so iconic and deeply branded on my mind's eye, I can't help but be amazed :+1: 
    they say  a picture paints a thousand words and that looks mighty nice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1803
    Thats a very nice piece of work. 
    I presume its a trade secret how you go from full Cherry to faded in a few weeks. I presume its UV natural or from a lamp or something.  Either way looks the biz.

• Perfect! Great job
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Holy mother that is absolutely gorgeous.  Superb work!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6225
    That, is just utterly stunning! What an absolutely amazing job you achieved there.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • @guitars4you @JezWynd  @John_A  @Rebar @richardhomer  @iseverynamegone  Thanks guys! No matter how many old Les Paul's I restore, the aesthetic impact of a dead nuts vintage burst finish is almost overpowering in person, as it's so iconic and deeply branded on my mind's eye, I can't help but be amazed :+1: 
    they say  a picture paints a thousand words and that looks mighty nice
    As you probably know I worked at Vintage & Rare Guitars on Denmark St so was literally bored to tears on a daily basis by '50s Les Paul's, custom colour vintage Fenders and all manner of high end exotica, and was also blessed to be close friends with arguably the premier Japanese vintage collector who gave me (supervised) free reign with his 20 or so Bursts, so my frame of reference is highly honed, and it's that same look and vibe I need to achieve to be satisfied :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1075
    One day, i will have to  get you to do some work for me when i can afford it - it us always stunning. Awesome!
  • One day, i will have to  get you to do some work for me when i can afford it - it us always stunning. Awesome!
    It'd be a pleasure! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3690
    And here it is after fading and assembly, ready to be played awhile before I add weather checking and realistic wear throughout :+1: 
    That looks beautiful as it is, seems a shame to relic it.  :/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 131
    Absolutely stunning, I am in awe of your skills!
  • Neil said:
    And here it is after fading and assembly, ready to be played awhile before I add weather checking and realistic wear throughout :+1: 
    That looks beautiful as it is, seems a shame to relic it.  :/
    I'll just be adding weather checking throughout and adding subtle accents to the binding, plus minor edge wear like a well maintained but played '50s original :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Awesome!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16914
    Lovely stuff 
  • Absolutely stunning
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    It really does look fantastic!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Thanks all!
    Now this is complete, I have a hankering for an even rarer Greco in the SA1200 '59 335 replica, so will be putting the Les Paul up for sale today :+1: 
    Anyone considering a True Historic RI or high end replica, would do well to save £5k and just get this, as it's as cool as any of my '50s PAF guitars and is a genuine near 40 year old hand made instrument.
    Check the classifieds for more info ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6302
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I knew it!)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtop said:
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I knew it!)
    Haha! :) This was always an experiment and folly for me, as I have more than enough vintage Les Paul's to be working on, but I had to scratch that vintage MIJ itch and see if it was all BS, and I'm glad I did, as this totally lived up to the hype, but now I want Greco's '59 335 clone, so, I'll release this back into the wild, looking better than it's even done and at a big discount over an untouched example :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom