Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Blade Runner 2049 - SPOILERS FROM PAGE 3 - PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS!

What's Hot

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6285
    Having seen so many glowing reviews, I'm wondering if this will end up as the exact opposite of the original.

That was not a success at first but became a classic later. BR2049 seems to be an instant success with critics (Mark Kermode loved it!) but I expect it will quickly be forgotten, even by the people who rate it so highly now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2441
    It’s trendy to like films that have a cult status, doesn’t mean they’re any good though. This is one of those films. 

• @mellowsun got to disagree.

This movie is deeper than almost every science fiction out there, besides the visuals. 
    +1 some folk are hard to please :lol: 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited October 2017
    beed84 said:
    It’s trendy to like films that have a cult status, doesn’t mean they’re any good though. This is one of those films. 
    That's how I feel about Star Wars (and we all know star trek is better..). Original blade runner was never a fave and it is dated, but this one was awesome. Score was great imo and "bad guy" was fine! It didn't serve things up to you, lots of deep meaning.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited October 2017

@mellowsun got to disagree.

This movie is deeper than almost every science fiction out there, besides the visuals. 
    +1 some folk are hard to please lol 
    It’s only deep in the sense that the film screams ‘hey we are making a deep and serious film here!’ The characters were too 2dimensional and stereotyped to give the film any real depth.

It just ripped off too many other films that have covered similar ground but far better, i.e. Her, and Children of Men.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2029
    beed84 said:
    ... The first one wasn’t as great as people make out it to be either. Why it has such a cult status is beyond me.
    Think I just sussed out why you didn't like it much...

Fantastic sequel to one of my favourite movies. I loved everything about it. 
  • I looked those films plus this one @mellowsun - will have to agree to disagree :)
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 927
    With the original being one of my all time favourite films, I had a lot of trepidation for this. I'm glad to say that it exceeded my expectations and hopes by a massive margin. It was wonderful. 
  • beed84 said:
    Beyond epic isn’t how I’d categorise it. For me it was glossy, self-indulgent, arty bollocks with a crap story to boot. The first one wasn’t as great as people make out it to be either. Why it has such a cult status is beyond me.

The first one is a technical masterpiece that feels real and has bags of atmosphere - but is quite boring (I saw it yesterday). The story is very bare, with a few extras thrown in, but the movie is quite an experience.

I want to watch the new one as well though. I've heard it builds on the epic, lived in world of the original and has a better, more involving story (which was really what the original missed for me).

Tin hat on :) 
  • FloofFloof Frets: 17
    Sounds like some folk need to stay at home drinking warm supermarket lager and watching Fast n' Furious movies on a loop.

Get in the fucking sea you loons!

This was a great, stunning film. 

"...convenient plot device..." - I suppose it would have been more realistic for you if Ben Hur had not been sent off to be a gladiator and we'd watched him potter about as a house slave. Good grief.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    this is pretty much spoiler free

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited October 2017
    The world they created was really striking. Visually amazing and the sounds to go... Can't wait until it's out on DVD! It's just an "experience " to watch!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12019
    The world they created was really striking. Visually amazing and the sounds to go... Can't wait until it's out on DVD! It's just an "experience " to watch!
    You need 4k Bluray on a 65" OLED for this movie I think.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16037

can I borrow your thread for a while?  ta  :)

Did anybuddy get tae see Mother!  ?

tae be or not tae be
  • Thought that was in Alien...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27532
    hootsmon said:

can I borrow your thread for a while?  ta  :)

Did anybuddy get tae see Mother!  ?

It's not come out here yet, but they played a fairly intense-looking trailer in front of Blade Runner. Looks very well done. Not sure I need to see it in a cinema but will catch it at home at some point.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I saw it in IMAX and am actually considering seeing it again while it's there. That would be the first time I've done that. Ever.
    and I can't really afford the £15. But I probably will. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I saw it yesterday with Dolby Atmos and it was a very powerful watch.

I found it to be an example of what I love about good Science Fiction.  Many layered, big questions.
    I think Blade Runner suffers from being so influential that ideas, style and atmosphere created in the first film and expanded on here, could appear to be ripped off from other films but it is more likely the reverse.

The score is not full of catchy ditties but is totally appropriate for the film and nearly overwhelming in some scenes.

Fans of Mr.Dick and/or the original film will love the plot. I know I did. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 457
    I enjoyed it was decent enough, watched the original last night and felt it had much more atmosphere about it. 

Would've had so much more impact had Ford not been in all trailers etc and been kept a secret. Same thing ruined new Kingsman too, so annoying!
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/