Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Blade Runner 2049 - SPOILERS FROM PAGE 3 - PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS!

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Watched it the other night in 3d. Excellent film. I didn't find it slow actually. Was really immersive and really well done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Watched the original on Saturday then 2049 on Sunday.  My 16-year-old son was bored by the original but thought the new one was better.  I didn't think it was slow at all, a bit over-long though and agree with some of the comments about weak story. 

The blackout /data loss was just a bit too convenient for the story, with no explanation.
    So how come K survived sufficiently to come back at her when he was stabbed at the end?
    There's apparently a lot of stuff on social media about it being sexist and white-male-driven.  Which I guess is true to an extent.  How come K's boss didn't have a holographic boyfriend like he had a girl?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pretty sure that there was a strong hint who K's boss wanted to play with.  Several times.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84 said:
    Floof said:
    Sounds like some folk need to stay at home drinking warm supermarket lager and watching Fast n' Furious movies on a loop...
    While everyone else follows the proverbial heard of ‘electric sheep’...
    @beed84 - I get it!  :)
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2441
    beed84 said:
    Floof said:
    Sounds like some folk need to stay at home drinking warm supermarket lager and watching Fast n' Furious movies on a loop...
    While everyone else follows the proverbial heard of ‘electric sheep’...
    @beed84 - I get it!  :)
    Excellent. At least the allusion wasn’t completely wasted. Wisdom point awarded  :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16323
    Saw it on Saturday night.

Went to the local Showcase "de luxe" so lots of leg room and a reclining chair to ensure that my arse didn't go to sleep after 2.5 hours.

It does look gorgeous.
    It is too loud.
    It's got a plot.
    It does feel like the original. 
    Harrison Ford does now seem to play the same grumpy old git in every movie he is in. 
    I enjoyed it a lot.

However, it didn't have the same "something" the original had. It's close, and it wasn't a let down at all, but I didn't come out the cinema thinking it was the best movie of all time. 

If you liked the original, you will like this one. If you felt the original was overrated, you'll think this one is too.

Dis I say it looks absolutely gorgeous on the big screen?

Fretwired said:
    Apparently it's bombed at the box-office .. one guy went to the ciema on the opening day to find 15 people watching it.

Not seen it yet but looking forward to it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/10/09/blade-runner-2049-has-flopped-box-office-six-reasons/

I saw it yesterday with Dolby Atmos and it was a very powerful watch.

I found it to be an example of what I love about good Science Fiction.  Many layered, big questions.
    I think Blade Runner suffers from being so influential that ideas, style and atmosphere created in the first film and expanded on here, could appear to be ripped off from other films but it is more likely the reverse.

The score is not full of catchy ditties but is totally appropriate for the film and nearly overwhelming in some scenes.

Fans of Mr.Dick and/or the original film will love the plot. I know I did. 
    Several others as well here I could have quoted here saying similar things to the above,  but to reiterate :

- the original is so influential that anyone coming to it now will find it hard to get ( maybe like why people don’t get excited about the Beano album like they did in 1966)
    - it’s visually extremely well done, plenty of nods to the original and it does feel like that world moved on 30 years rather than a reinvention 
    - 11 of us in the cinema this evening and box office has been poor but I’m not sure this was ever going to be a blockbuster 
    - it was fatiguingly loud
    - Harrison Ford was a bit too much of a distraction as played a grumpy Ford more than he played Deckard 
    - needed to be shorter, the 2hour 45 minute version might have been kept for the producer’s cut. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Went to Leicester Sq on thursday to see this as i was up in London for a Marillion gig.  I thought the film was great.  Serious Sci Fi that took time to tell its story and told it well and beautifully.  I thought Ryan Gossling did a great job with K, believable angst that he just wanted to be a real boy, and thought for a while that he might be. Harrison played it perfectly.    I will buy the Blu-Ray when its released and watch it again.

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    loved the first one...
    loved this one..

and I loved the sound track...
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Clarky said:
    loved the first one...
    loved this one..

@Clarky , you'll love my new AF2 preset then. It sounds like a right chewy analogue synth
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6132
    I made a point of visiting the cinema for this as several reviews said it must be seen on the big screen. Having watched 2/3rds of it (i walked) and thinking it over since, I think it might be better viewed on a large screen at home where you can pause for sustenance, ease your aching backside and feed the cat. I stand by my original assessment, I think there's less than meets the eye, but it is gorgeous to look at and with its largo pacing it could be ideal for looping on a big flat panel to saturate yourself in the vision.

On reflection, it has as much in common with A.I. as it does with Blade Runner - the visual sensibility is very similar as is the underlying theme.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12230
    Saw it today, it's excellent.

I went expecting not to like it due to the length (films these days are too long), but I was won over by the solid mix of thoughtfulness and emotion, and the exploration of what makes life from different perspectives (does his sexy AI love him despite her programming or because of it, does he love her artificially because he is artificial, or do they transcend their programming, just one plot line), basically, how do you get a soul.

EJO's cameo seemed rather pointless.  Especially without a reference to his line, although arguably the whole plot about Dekkard's romance with Rachel was a reference to it ("It's a shame she won't live, but then who does?")
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12230
    WezV said:
    I really want to go and see it, but currently have an ear infection and can't hear anything on the right. :(
    Can't hear Trump then, not all bad ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Clarky said:
    loved the first one...
    loved this one..

@Clarky , you'll love my new AF2 preset then. It sounds like a right chewy analogue synth
    did you use the synth block of create it by other means?
    play every note as if it were your first
  • It was good. The sound was fantastic, the way it looks is amazing... but it was slightly too long and it broke my immersion with ‘the reveal’ by chucking in a flashback immediately to make sure you got the implications, reminded me I was watching a film rather than letting me continue to buy into the characters (YMMV). I know that fits the style but I wanted another few moments for the holy shit no way to kick in.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12473
    edited October 2017
    Saw this the other day. It's amazing to look at, everything feels solid and realistic with no hints of CGI. The storyline was decent enough, although there were too many convenient plot devices to make the storyline work. It's definitely too long though. The soundtrack was also way too loud (tbh I thought this was just a quirk of the cinema where I saw it, but reading through this thread now it sounds like its deliberate). 

Somebody mentioned how the audience were silent at the end of the film in an earlier post, that happened at the showing I saw too. Not sure if that was because the film was thought provoking or because people were thinking WTF? 

I love the original, because it was so groundbreaking. Not sure I love this one, but it's still a very good film. 

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6223
    Just saw it this afternoon.

Wow.. I was transfixed. Never noticed the criticised length, I could have quite happily watched a much longer version. They nailed the tone of the original and I loved the relaxed pacing. It was a joy to watch a series science fiction film that wasn't all wham, bam thank you ma'am.

The soundtrack was superb with real deference to Vangelis' original especially with those harsh synths and the thematic link to Roy Batty's demise in the original film.
    Whistful, introspective, poignant, beautiful and brutal. In this modern age of short attention spans and the need for instant gratification it was like a breath of fresh air.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"