thoughts on the most musical sounding vintage style Wah please

What's Hot
mgawmgaw Frets: 5281
as above noobie to the world of wah nd as is my way whats the "best" for vintage bluesyness
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    If you're new to wah then you've either got to try a few, or find one which is configurable. The main variables are:
    upper and lower frequencies that the wah moves between,
    Q (the width of the narrow frequency band which the wah emphasises), 
    and the relationship between foot movement and frequency change.

Several wahs allow you to change Q. Changing the foot movement is fixed by the potentiometer, unless you've got a digital wah. 

For blues I'd go for something subtle, rather than wide range wacka-wacka. Maybe a Coloursound, or the configurable Cry-Baby with the Q set towards max. You'll get lots of other answers because wah is a very personal thing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    RMC 10, just lovely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6704
    I have a Morley, a CAE and a Fulltone Clyde Standard for sale if you want to try some out! I'd recommend the CAE personally. 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/113080/fx-for-sale-a-whole-varied-bunch-up-for-grabs#latest
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1623
    One of the early Buddha Wah’s. Fantastic and does exactly what you are after.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5281
    @shaunm ; was looking at them whats a decent price for one? and indeed a RMC 10
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1623
    £90-£100 seems to be the going rate (it’s what I paid). There’s one for sale on one of the Facebook guitar sales pages too. They don’t seem to come up that often.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    Xotic. Best I've tried, and I've tried a few!
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Budda's are great. I'm currently using a Teese Picture Wah which is really nice. It's a bit of a "cleaner" wah than I'm used to but it's got a decent sweep without being too exaggerated. 
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7488
    edited October 2017
    What about that one that vertex gooped? Very good sounding vintage style wah.

BBE?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    How much you looking to pay?     RMC is all well and good but they are really expensive.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    RMC 1 - best there is for the sound you've described 

Other options for other sounds - from your description the RMC 1 is "the" one.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5281
    Ro_S said:
    How much you looking to pay?     RMC is all well and good but they are really expensive.
    I dont mind it being spendy if its what i like, I have just taken delivery of an Xotic wah and will spend some time with it be good to hear a "great" wah to compare it with
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3048
    Another vote for the RMC range. I have two - an RMC3 (which is tunable) and an RMC10 (which isn't). I was using g the RMC10 before I got my Helix. Guess which wah model I prefer on the Helix? ;)
    I had an Xotic too, liked it a lot and only sold it recently. No matter where I set the knobs though I couldn't get it to sound as sweet as the RMC10, which I've kept.

@robinbowes  the 'Throaty' is a model of the RMC1 isn't it? 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3048
    simonk said:

@robinbowes  the 'Throaty' is a model of the RMC1 isn't it? 
    Correct! :)

R.
  • I vote Castledine for authentic vintage crybaby tones. 

Having said that, I've used a Roger Mayer Vision Wah for years and now am unable to comfortably use a standard style wah, i find them uncomfortably clunky and restricted in range / throw, so I have the Castledine off-board for when I need 'that' sound and use the Mayer on my board. It doesn't sound quite as good but the ergos are so much better.

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    I vote Castledine for authentic vintage crybaby tones. 

Having said that, I've used a Roger Mayer Vision Wah for years and now am unable to comfortably use a standard style wah, i find them uncomfortably clunky and restricted in range / throw, so I have the Castledine off-board for when I need 'that' sound and use the Mayer on my board. It doesn't sound quite as good but the ergos are so much better.

Castledine is the most vintage accurate wah I own, but the RMC1 is more vocal and expressive, but from the same voice. 
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    shaunm said:
    One of the early Buddha Wah’s. Fantastic and does exactly what you are after.
    I have one of these, are great for what you are looking for
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2248
    edited October 2017
    If you can find a dealer that stocks Teese wahs try a load. The rmc models confuse me. I played the red one in a rehearsal. Awesome.

I didn't buy one because the sales weasel wasn't interested in letting me try one or ten, Iwent to coda who are interested and bought the Clyde deluxe.

The deluxe has 3 frequency ranges. Mike fuller can be a bit interesting at times but he does make good stuff.

slacker said:
    If you can find a dealer that stocks Teese wahs try a load. The rmc models confuse me. I played the red one in a rehearsal. Awesome.

I didn't buy one because the sales weasel wasn't interested in letting me try one or ten, Iwent to coda who are interested and bought the Clyde deluxe.

The deluxe has 3 frequency ranges. Mike fuller can be a bit interesting at times but he does make good stuff.

The red RMC is the Wizard and it has a very different voice. Sounds awesome with gain but probably not what Mark’s looking for. I had a Castledine too and agree about it’s period correctness... it’s very nice but wasn’t quite vocal enough for me.