Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

TWEED!

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
I had my first play on a Victoria on Friday, and I'm smitten.

So I am now after a tube amp with sparkling cleans at low volumes at home but which can deliver cranked tone when I let rip.

My shortlist is (I think):

Victoria 518
Victoria 5112
Fender Champ 57 RI

Anyone able to give any pointers: pros/cons/comparison?  Any really good alternatives I should consider?  I know that these are all a lot of money for what they are, even buying used as I intend, but by Crom ... that TONE...

All observations gratefully received.
Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    JerkMoans said:

So I am now after a tube amp with sparkling cleans at low volumes at home but which can deliver cranked tone when I let rip.

Victoria 518
    Victoria 5112
    Fender Champ 57 RI

Anyone able to give any pointers: pros/cons/comparison?  Any really good alternatives I should consider?  I know that these are all a lot of money for what they are, even buying used as I intend, but by Crom ... that TONE...

You've left the Lazy J20 out. Fantastic beast that is. Can be clean to a point but  so us it mainly on the dirty side of things :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    You've left the Lazy J20 out. Fantastic beast that is. Can be clean to a point but  so us it mainly on the dirty side of things :)
    Whoo: just goooooooooogled and it looks great.  Bit outta budget, though, unless anybody has one down the back of the couch they don't really like :grin: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    I feel the need, the need for tweed! =)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72357
    JerkMoans said:

Victoria 518
    Victoria 5112
    Fender Champ 57 RI

Get the Victoria 5112. The 12" speaker makes *all* the difference. I have owned an original '59 Fender 5F1.

A 5F1 with the original 8" speaker is a one-trick pony that quickly becomes limiting unless your entire sound is focused around the one thing it does well - a very brassy, raspy blues/early-rock'n'roll overdrive sound. It's loud enough to cope with a low-volume band but only fully overdriven. It does have a clean sound too, but it's not especially deep or sparkly and it's not loud enough to use with a band. It sounds more or less the same with most guitars.

The 5112 is in a totally different league - the cleans are much clearer and richer, and the overdrive is big-sounding. It's far more sensitive to the guitar, because the speaker allows more than just a narrow midrange tone through. It just about loud enough for a band, even clean - and definitely so overdriven. The guitarist in my band had one, which would compete with a reasonably loud drummer and my 500W bass amp when it was cranked right up - admittedly it wouldn't with anything cleaner.

And if you don't quite like the speaker, there are dozens of possible replacement 12"s - as opposed to probably only about two or three 8"s that are worth having.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3868
    edited October 2017
    My own amp search has been settled on tweed for a good while now. Such lovely, warm, articulate tone. IMO Lazy J is the pinnacle. Tweed on a budget? They tend to be expensive, handwired beasts. Maybe Cornell Romany, although I imagine the Victorias might be better (not tried one). Other second hand examples from esteemed UK builders such as Rift and Flynn sometimes pop up for a bargain. Swart maybe? Oh, and what about Fender... :0)
    Now that's v helpful, ICBM. Thank you.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Lebarque said:
    My own amp search has been settled on tweed for a good while now. Such lovely, warm, articulate tone. IMO Lazy J is the pinnacle. Tweed on a budget? They tend to be expensive, handwired beasts. Maybe Cornell Romany, although I imagine the Victorias might be better (not tried one). Other second hand examples from esteemed UK builders such as Rift and Flynn sometimes pop up for a bargain. Swart maybe? Oh, and what about Fender... :0)
    Back to Google :)  Thanks!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    kreggs said:
    I feel the need, the need for tweed! =)
    It gives me the urge, the urge to splurge...

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Check out Flynn Amps as well, good prices and made in Scotland. He does a Champ and a Deluxe

http://www.flynnamps.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Check out Flynn Amps as well, good prices and made in Scotland. He does a Champ and a Deluxe

Ooooh oooh ooh.  Will have a good look after dinner!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    For 5E3’s I think Gartone is the best. I’ve owned or played most of the others too.

Rob
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You intrigue me strangely...  Will have a gander just as soon as I've parboiled my parsnips :grin: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5266
    edited October 2017
    Swart AST for me
    I would say a tweed deluxe would have the crunch of a tender parsnip!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    57 Deluxe...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Ooooh oooh ooh.  Will have a good look after dinner!
    I have 2 Flynns

A Deluxe (5e3) and a Super (1x12 variant I got from Merlin off here)

Both outstanding apps.
    kreggs said:
    Like your amps al dente, huh? :smile: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    JerkMoans said:u
    kreggs said:
    Like your amps al dente, huh? :smile: 
    Sure do!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

Of your list I’d go for the Victoria 5112.   Also worth noting all your shortlist are champ based, single ended 5w amps.   These sound different to the tweed deluxe types. 

Which Victoria did you try?